James Tyler USA vs Japan

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by shv, Dec 26, 2014.

1. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

That would rock

2. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

Too many great choices today for super strats. I was set on a Thorn, but now this and Lipe have got my head spinning. Oh well, lots of time to think and inquire before I leave the sand. This is the golden age of guitar.

3. McShred

McShred Supporting Member

I don't think so. It'll be a line similar in options and customization to the Suhr Classic Pro series. A limited number of colors and fixed options to increase manufacturing efficiencies, keep costs lower and pas the savings on to customers. If you need a Jim Burst with a mahogany body, skinny neck with 14" radius, HSH pickups and a Floyd... you're looking at a custom order.

Guitarwiz007 likes this.
  4. big mike

Well I am a homer but I definitely prefer my thorns to the Tyler's.

5. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

Yes, I know you are a huge fan and a friend of his. I have mentioned to Ron on this board that I need a Thorn when I make it back from the desert long term. The big quandary is really a Thorn S/S vs. a Lipe Classic Virtuoso. I recently learned that Mike Lipe was at Guitar Doctor and also hear great things about his guitars. Both offer stunning options and are really great people. I may not have a way to try either before I order, and I just want 1. Oh well, I am still a long ways off. Back to the sand. Sorry for the thread jack.

6. mude

mude Supporting Member

Of course, the correct answer is to have a Tyler and a Thorn! Currently, a Thorn setneck double hums, and HSS Tylers. Lots of goodness to be had. :)

Evan.

7. big mike

If you're ever in the bay area, give me a shout. I can arrange somethnig I'm sure, and you can play mine. the C/S in my avatar is just a body shape difference from SS.

Became a friend, but started as a regular customer like anyone else. Took the leap of faith and was rewarded greatly. He 'gets' what I want in a guitar, and I think we share very similar opinions.

At the USA end on this stuff..there's no better or worse, only what suits you better. I love the tylers, I've wanted one for a long time (Alien Guano or Rasta Smear please). But for what i use and like, I prefer what I'm using now..for small subjective reasons. For what a USA tyler goes for..I'm out of the running. Cant/won't spend that much on a guitar. The Japanese ones are very nice..but at NEW pricing, it's too close to again, what I prefer and am currently using.

Were I to see a used Japan Tyler in the 1500 range, which I think will be likely down the road, then it would be worth considering. Just my 2 cents. They are stellar guitars.

8. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

Thanks, Mike. :)

9. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I've owned two Tylers custom made for me... a Studio Elite Jimburst with a quilted maple top and a Studio Elite Lake Placid Blue. Economy took a dive and so did my Tylers... sold them. I now play a MIM Fender Strat that I hot rodded with new pups, pick guard and setup. Plays so great, I haven't missed the Tylers I used to own. It's all in the setup.

I visited Jim at NAMM as he and I know each other at a personal and professional level. As great as the Strat plays, those MIJ Tylers really got my GAS going. I couldn't tell the difference, but I'm not a picky guy. The MIJ Tylers felt right. How they sound? Depends on a lot of stuff... I usually gut all the pups and put my favorites in any ways. The lower price puts me closer to owning a Tyler again as I cannot afford the USA ones.

Bottom line... I know Jim and the person responsible for helping build out the MIJ line, Daisuke... IMO, they will do well with these. Ask Steve of Guitar Guitar in the UK... from what I understand, he wanted as many as he could get his hands on.

JDouglee and lifeson1 like this.
  10. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

These new ones are identical to the USA models I've looked in to it,exactly the same materials, CAD data, attention to detail. As good in every detail.

11. Rafterman

Rafterman Silver Supporting Member

12. Rafterman

13. Rafterman

14. Rafterman

15. Rafterman

16. Rafterman

17. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

^^^^^ VERY nice!!!!

18. iaresee

iaresee Supporting Member

WHOA!

19. McShred

McShred Supporting Member

each of the photos you've posted are USA made Tylers. The black and blonde ones on the table behind the Jimburst are the Japan made versions

20. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

Barn Find is the BOMB!