Jamison combo on e-bay!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by shallbe, Jun 21, 2005.

1. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Not one of my amps, but close! Meaning I have serial #15 and I believe this one is #17. Should have an aluminum chassis and a mahogany baffle board.

These are just spectacular sounding amps, and work equally as well in the studio as live. I've used mine ( I have 2, #15 and 28) on a few hundred gigs and practices and have had ZERO issues with them.

They sound fantastic----similar to a Vox but with a dash of Fender warmth and more gain than most AC30's when cranked. Very dynamic, sweet reverb and hynotic, useful tremelo. Made one at a time by Phil in his garage. They look different for sure (even from each other), but really deliver.

I bet it can be had at a great price. Truly a boutique amp. Sorry, I don't have the link but it had about 4 days left on the auction. It popped up during a Matchless search.

2. e-z

e-z Member

How do they sound compared to a DC-30? Are they as heavy as a DC-30?
    I've been interested in one for a long time. I e-mailed Phil Jamison a few years back to ask about an amp but never got a reply.

3. 94prs22

94prs22 Gold Supporting Member

Mine is number 18 completed in April 2001 too. In fact, I think back in the day when mine was being built, Phil offerred me the choice of 3 chassis colors and one was blue metallic. I guess #17 got it, I chose green, I think the third was purple. The buyer won't be disappointed if your looking for a nice near vintage AC-30 variation give this a look. I agree with Steve that it's a bit fendery in the low input and a lot of gain with the high input when dimed. Mine got a punch like Tyson in his prime due to it being a 2x10.
    Brandon

4. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

Saw this, while on my Tremcat search. Too bad it isn't a head. That 2x12 would be a backbreaker to gig with. Double darn.

5. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

Wow...

That is one UGLY amplifier!
    It better sound good!!

;) ;)

6. shallbe

I prefer the Jamison to a DC30---Fuller than the first channel of the DC and not as rough as the ef86 channel. I love the DC30, but just like the Jamison more. It is about the same weight as the DC30, pretty heavy----but it sounds so good and works in any venue, from quiet weddings to loud outdoor gigs.

Most of the Jamison amps look "different." Phil likes to get pretty creative with grillclothe, etc. I have one that is pretty classy looking with burgandy tolex and gold grillclothe-----the other one has oxblood covering and this wild Santa Fe grillclothe. Nobobdy ever knows what I'm playing through, but they always ask. :)

7. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

That's what's most important shallbe!!!
    Who cares what it looks like!
    Just not my fav look!;)

keith

8. shallbe

I understand. I wouldn't have gone with that grillclothe or chassis color----but with the way that amp probably sounds, I would have no qualms about taking it to any gig. In fact, due to the cosmetics, I think it will go cheap on e-bay.

9. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

I like it! What's under the kilt, eh?

10. shallbe

Two different sounding inputs (one lower gain and warmer with a different treble response, the other higher gain, with more punch and slice), one channel, a 12ax7 based preamp, treble, bass and cut controls, master (very effective and defeatable), reverb (sweet), tremelo depth and speed, half power switch. The power section is 4xel84, cathode-biased (which some call class A).

Housed in a very strudy trapezoidial cab, tiltled baffle with a V30 and a C-Blue (a great combo in this amp, BTW). Mine are the greatest club amps I've ever played. Somehow just the perfect volume for big or small venues, takes pedals incredibly well; never had one issue-----including outdoor gigs at near freezing to 100 degree heat with stupid humidity.

What else? It's very open and dynamic, has close to the gain of my Connie when turned up, at lower volumes delivers my favorite clean sounds ever. I'm a huge fan and would love for a fellow gear pager to get it. I bet the only thing it needs is a good set of power tubes. I like the el84 JJ's, FWIW, and often get close to a year out of them.

The only negatives are the looks (not very traditional) and the weight (like a DC30----I think mine weighs 87 lbs). Since these are so limited (a few more than 30 in 5 years I think), so well built, unique looking and great sounding, I would not be surprised if they aren't highly sought after one day. I'm doing my part!

:)

11. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I loved my Jamison for cleans. It's very hard to tell the difference between it, and the DC30.... the Jamison is easier to dial in, much more flexible EQ. Great reverb ...

But I wasn't keen on the low end, when it was overdriven. Since you offered up the Constellation for comparison sake, my Constellation is MUCH tighter in the low end.

But many people don't dig the low end of Matchless amps when pushed hard, so I guess I'm not alone....

12. shallbe

I believe your amp had a Blue and this one does as well. Neither of my amps have a Blue, so that may be part of it? That speaker comes apart a little when pushed really hard--at least to me.

Anyway, my Jamisons have zero mush or flub when overdriven, and have never really thought they behaved like a Matchless 30 series in that regard. I completely agree that the Connie's low end is much bigger and tighter. It's huge, IMO. My Constellation comparison was for gain only. In fact, I've found the Constellation to actually be a little overwhelming in the low end on some stages. Many realize the K30 has a lot of gain, but I wanted people to know that in the high input, at 3:00+ on the volume, the Jamison is a very gainy el84 amp, hence the comparison. To clarify, the Constellation is a bigger sounding, louder and more harmonically rich amp than the Jamison, IMO. But the Jamison sounds great and is so damn flexible for different stages AND styles of music I find it inspiring and unique.

13. larrylover

larrylover Member

Good lord, that's ugly! Sorry to be so superficial, but, my goodness. What was the owner thinking?

14. 94prs22

94prs22 Gold Supporting Member

This ain't ugly, it's #18. Like I said above, it's a 2x10 so it stays quite tight in the bass too, much more so than the 15 watt Matchlesses (Lightning and Hurricane) that I've owned. I've never played a Constellation.
    Brandon

[​IMG]

15. e-z

e-z Member

It's over 2k now. Damn. I have a London 65 on the way and a Bob Burt 1x12 so I can't swing it. I bet it's a sweet amp.

16. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

That number 17 was originally mine! I like the tartan look, it definitely sticks out in a crowd. It's ugly like a pug- so ugly it's good looking. I wish I could bring it back home...but it looks like it would be pricey to get up to Canada again.:(

17. larrylover

larrylover Member

How dare you insult Pugs like that!

I have a Brussells Griffon, a close cousin to a Pug, and although my sweet red-haired dog, and Pugs, have faces only a mother could love, their disability is nothing -- nothing -- like that Jamison.

18. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Hey man, I was complimenting pugs - I think they are adorable but they are certainly not "traditionally good looking"! They have awesome personalities also!!:D I would take a pug over the Jamison anyday, but the Jamison makes a guitar sound better than any pug!

19. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Let the critics decide:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. larrylover

larrylover Member

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is great!!