jamming with a new jazz-funk band

recently we happened to play a couple of gigs with this trio and decided to get together weekly and work on originals, so here are a couple of flicks from our first rehearsal...

also notice that the camera (for whoever might be interested) is a plain zoom q3hd, without anything done to the video afterwards. i was asking around this forum a few months earlier and people suggested buying the zoom, happy i did, cause i think its more than good enough for youtube stuff... (third camera i tried)

JackStraw12

I dig it! Tasty playing on the first one, reminds me a bit of Sco but very original. I found the "out" playing to be real interesting as far as note choices go, dug it for sure. What's your approach?

thanks guys! regarding the out playing, i m mostly using stuff on altered dominant areas. Say i m playing over an one chord vamp, i might play triads and structures over some kind of altered V7 chord, on various degrees of the scale, over it and resolve it. Some times i might work with intervallic out playing, but i m mostly old school, :) usually thinking about chord structures

scottl

Great! I also found it to be quite Sco influenced. Maybe a bit more than jazzphan89 felt. :)

Still, I really enjoyed that!

pinner

Silver Supporting Member
Sweet. Really enjoyed the listen. I concur on the Sco feel in the first clip. I likey!!! Also enjoyed your playing on your various clip on your webpage.

JackStraw12

thanks guys! regarding the out playing, i m mostly using stuff on altered dominant areas. Say i m playing over an one chord vamp, i might play triads and structures over some kind of altered V7 chord, on various degrees of the scale, over it and resolve it. Some times i might work with intervallic out playing, but i m mostly old school, :) usually thinking about chord structures
Ok, so if I am understanding this correctly then an Eb lydian dominant scale would work over an A7 vamp? It's been a bit since I studied this stuff. Thanks for the reply!

scottl

That would work, but also playing A Lydian Dominant does too. I find that playing the lydian dominant on the actual chord works good on one chord vamps. Playing A Altered scale works too but wants to pull to D-7 as well.

Playing Eb and F triads over the A implies the Altered tonality as well. Mayeb that is one the devices Alter was referring to.

The main point is being aware of resolutions and not leaving things "hanging".

Sorry to jump in!

Ok, so if I am understanding this correctly then an Eb lydian dominant scale would work over an A7 vamp? It's been a bit since I studied this stuff. Thanks for the reply!

JackStraw12

Thanks Scott and Alter! Some great stuff here to keep me busy on the "work from home day" tomorrow in anticipation of the big storm we're getting.

for playing over A7, first thing i would think of is to move in and out of the E7 chord. You can use any scale over the E7 really, mixolydian, altered, diminished, augmented, etc, and each scale would give you different triads and intervallic material to use.

second thing, i would start using all that, but instead of thinking of the A7 chord i would think of its relative chords (which to an A7 would be Gmaj7, E-7 and C#-7b5), and apply the move-in-and out-of the dominant area to them. Say i choose E-7, so over my original A7 chord i play B7 material (the V7 of the E-7)

a third thing which is very simple really, is side-slipping, which is, just moving whatever you re playing one fret higher or lower, and resolving it

there are other out devices you can use (like intervallic out playing), but the thing that makes it work is always how you come back in. Its an acquired taste really, out playing..

scottl

All excellent ideas!

Good to have you here Alter! We like the same stuff I think!

for playing over A7, first thing i would think of is to move in and out of the E7 chord. You can use any scale over the E7 really, mixolydian, altered, diminished, augmented, etc, and each scale would give you different triads and intervallic material to use.

second thing, i would start using all that, but instead of thinking of the A7 chord i would think of its relative chords (which to an A7 would be Gmaj7, E-7 and C#-7b5), and apply the move-in-and out-of the dominant area to them. Say i choose E-7, so over my original A7 chord i play B7 material (the V7 of the E-7)

a third thing which is very simple really, is side-slipping, which is, just moving whatever you re playing one fret higher or lower, and resolving it

there are other out devices you can use (like intervallic out playing), but the thing that makes it work is always how you come back in. Its an acquired taste really, out playing..

Trending Topics