JAN GE 12AX7WA = "yummy" ; TRRI Custom 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mbruffey, Mar 18, 2006.

1. mbruffey

mbruffey Supporting Member

I happened to pick up a few NIB JAN GE 12AX7WA's on ebay a day or so ago. They're early 80's production, so I don't know if that makes any difference, but I slid one into V2 of my '65 TRRI (Custom 15) and I really like what I hear. I don't know just how to describe the differences over other tubes I've had in that slot, but the clarity is just great for my style (Chet Atkins). I hear great BALANCED punch and articulation without a lot of shrill ear-piercing highs, and no muddiness. The Shuguang 12ax7's, which I happen to love in my Rivera Sedona, seem to take all the presence out of the Twin. I actually had a 50's GE 12AX7 in V2, which was nice, but this 12AX7A has about 15-30% more output. The straight 12AX7 was very beautiful, but almost TOO mellow, if you know what I mean. Anyway, I think I'm hooked on these 12AX7A's. I highly recommend them in the Twin for clean/Chet style, yummy. I don't think it hurts any that I put Sylvania short bottle 6L6GC's in a couple of days ago, either . . . .

It really seems true, the new production tubes--and I have tried power and preamp tubes made in three different coutries--just do not seem to be able to compare to the NOS stuff, at least for what I play, in the Fender Twin Reverb amp. ALTHOUGH, of all the foreign power tubes I tried, none sounded better than the stock Sovtex 5881WXT's for the style I play. Go figure! I've been tempted to buy a bunch of them for a rainy day! Of the preamp tubes, by far the best sounding foreign tube is the EI Elite Silver Plate in V2. No microphonics, but I suppose Chet style in the basement isn't too exciting, even to a sensitive tube . . . .

Well, thanks for listening to my ramblings. This is a GREAT group!

Mark

2. LGPlayer

LGPlayer Member

The GE 12AX7WA is a great sounding pre amp tube. I have them in critical spots in both my Fender amps!!

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Cool! On average, NOS tubes last 5 times as long (often longer for preamp tubes) as well!

4. LGPlayer

LGPlayer Member

Oh yeah. I got my GE's from that Blue Strat fellow above. :AOK

5. jockman

jockman Member

I love GE's, I use a 5751, great valve.

6. mbruffey

Oh yeah, I use a GE JG-5751-WA black plate, triple mica, in V1 of my Sedona, with a Country Gent, it's now a Chet Picker's dream amp! Mark

7. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Good tubes. Still cheap. What more could a player ask for? :)

8. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I don't like 'em. In my experience, they're lacking in clarity and dynamics, when compared with (many) other NOS 12AX7s. I'm not trying to be a curmudgeon, nor do I want to kill Mark's buzz. And Mike, don't you wince ;) - I only mention this here to bring up this point: there are better NOS choices available.

Explore!

- T

9. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

What do you like better? thanks

10. Timbre Wolf

That's a long and complicated topic that will take us off-track from the original post. Check your PM.

- T

11. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

After close to 12,000 tube orders I've learned a few things. One is, there's absolutely NO consensus about tone. NOTHING is better than anything else unless you like it. Period.

12. mbruffey

No problem here! I've found the preamp/pwr tube combination makes a lot of difference too. Here I'm using Sylvania short bottles 6L6's. Don't forget, I only play clean, too. Mark

13. Timbre Wolf

Okay, let me re-phrase to make it absolutely clear that I'm on the optimistic side of things. If you like the JAN-GE 12AX7WA, it is likely that there are other tubes that carry the same qualities you like to a higher ground. I'm talking about more articulate cleans (yes, I love cleans mostly, myself), and more dynamic response to your touch. This is the good news: there is room for improvement. Just one example, from the GE lineage, is their older 6681, which is a ruggedized, low-noise 12AX7 with superb clarity and fantastic punch.

Mike, I disagree with your statement about tone, but its likely due to semantics: I've experienced many examples of consensus about tube character, as it relates to tone and dynamics, but clearly there is no consensus about taste. Everyone has a personal concept of what is "best" when it comes time to choose from the tone palette. Vive la difference!
    :BEER

- T

14. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

True. And this why I have to contain laughter when people start using "tonal adjectives" to describe what they like or what they're looking for. Since none (or at least VERY few) of the adjectives we use were ever meant to describe tone/sound, it all seems pretty silly. Also, one man's "warm" is another man's "muddy".

I'm pretty sure I lost a tube sale today when I had to break this news to a guy who was asking about which tube is "more musical". As I told him, "I'm sure there's a competitor of mine who will tell you exactly what you want to hear, but I'm content to know that I was honest with you even if I lose the sale".

15. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

hummm, GE 12AX7's are my least favorite NOS tube.

16. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Thanks for your opinion:AOK

17. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Well, the long flate plate version is cool, but the comon GE 12AX7 does nothing for me. I think Sylvania's a bit better sounding for guitar amplifiers,but I don't care much for these either.
    My personal favorites are in this order;
    Mullard
    Brimar
    Amperex
    RCA 7025
    and the hard to get 80's chinese.

18. mbruffey

One says "yummy" another says "hummmy," isn't this "funny"? Time to end this nonsense [?!] -- "UNCLE" -- LMark