1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

JAN Philips 7581a for Two Rock

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by klatuu, Oct 7, 2006.

1. klatuu

klatuu Member

My early Topaz was equipped with JAN Philips 7581a's and I'm looking for replacements and not having much luck. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction for a set of these tubes or a suitable replacement!

TIA

2. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I used them in my super reveb, pro reverb, and prosonic head.

For my style, which was more of a harder rock, I did not find the SED 6L6 tubes to be a drastic step down. However, the 7581As are great tubes.

I would think if you put some want to buy ads up on the forums, you'll find a set eventually.

3. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

7581a is a military/industrial version of a 6L6GC with a little more output. They can be replaced with a regular 6L6GC with a slight loss of power and headroom. 7581a's are getting scarce and expensive , but being NOS will last a very long time. Check with Mike K. (Bluestrat on this forum) he's showing one pair of GE's on his site .
    Dave C

http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/

4. klatuu

klatuu Member

Mine are still running fine, but due to the increasing scarcity of the 7581a's I thought it might be wise to get some spares. Supposedly the Topaz (what limited number were produced) was developed due to the lack of NOS tubes K&M had on hand; mine being serial#3 evidently got the NOS tubes while they were still available. They are outstanding tubes! :AOK

5. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

How many do you need (pair, quad)? I have some.

6. klatuu

klatuu Member

Just need a pair

7. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member