• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Jane's Addiction Another Soul Mate.

neoprimitive

I've been a huge Jane's fan since 1987, I've seen them 14 times, and so far cannot grow tired of what they do. They have a pretty new single out called another soul mate. At first I wasn't thrilled, but I listened to it today on my MP3 player At work, and i got it, in dig it. Dave's guitar work is incredible as ever, and I'm hoping we have a new album on the way. For me Dave's like the psychedelic atmospheric Chuck Berry.. For me they keep rock n roll alive in so many ways. Even without Eric, they still do it right.
http://youtu.be/aN8wyr7vJR4

aman74

Silver Supporting Member
A shadow of their former selves, but I agree that they were once great. Navarro is one of the few players I care to hear solo.

neoprimitive

A shadow of their former selves, but I agree that they were once great. Navarro is one of the few players I care to hear solo.
I can't argue with you, they are a shadow of their former selves. But I realize that their former selves was a dangerous volatile zone and era.. they were fueled by many influences that they lived through and survived. It would be unfair for me to expect them to be who they once were. It's taken me some time to accept their new music. But as I get older and mellow out, I accept that they had to do the same. I know it's not the same, but they have evolved and musicians, a band and as people. A few short years ago I couldn't accept it. When strays came out I was mad.. now looking back, it's a great album, and it's a reflection of them as they were. I'm just thankful they're still making music at all, and they are healthy and happy positive humans.. and yeah, Dave's solos will forever be ingrained in my mind, whatever he's got it certainly works, and he can still rip the side off a barn with less than 5 notes.. :-D

harpinon

Oh no you di'int.!

Ok...I love the old stuff but the band is morphing and maturing into a really great band.
Personally I love Strays a lot. More than escape artist. But JA is one of the few bands that I will continue to follow, attend shows and buy albums.

Sure it might have been cool if they could have been more like ac/dc and put out 14 albums in the vain of nothings shocking but Farrell is so creative that I look forward to any new work.

aman74

Silver Supporting Member
I can't argue with you, they are a shadow of their former selves. But I realize that their former selves was a dangerous volatile zone and era.. they were fueled by many influences that they lived through and survived. It would be unfair for me to expect them to be who they once were. It's taken me some time to accept their new music. But as I get older and mellow out, I accept that they had to do the same. I know it's not the same, but they have evolved and musicians, a band and as people. A few short years ago I couldn't accept it. When strays came out I was mad.. now looking back, it's a great album, and it's a reflection of them as they were. I'm just thankful they're still making music at all, and they are healthy and happy positive humans.. and yeah, Dave's solos will forever be ingrained in my mind, whatever he's got it certainly works, and he can still rip the side off a barn with less than 5 notes.. :-D
Not sure exactly what you're saying...they're older and had to grow up and avoid questionable lifestyle choices so the music suffered? That's what it sounds like. I'm all for people digging what they dig, it just comes off as sounding like finding a way to rationalize getting into a bands newer stuff that you know doesn't hold a candle to the old material. Sorry if I'm wrong, as I'm not sure exactly what you're saying.

To me, if I want to hear Jane's, I'll just go right to the good stuff. Life's too short to shoehorn them into what I wish they were nowadays. Very Very few bands/artists make consistently compelling material for more than a few albums. Imho, they are no exception, sad to say. That track sounded like a bad rip-off band to me.

neoprimitive

Believe me I love the good stuff. I've got over 150 soundboard live recodings of them back in the day.
I'm not saying that their music suffered, it just changed as did they. They couldn't continue to be the drug addicts they used to be, they all found themselves and continued on. And honestly when I first heard that track I posted, I was like meh.. it's OK, but doesn't thrill me.. but then again I can't expect them come out with another 'whores' either.. I'm a huge fan, and I've been resistant to the new stuff since strays, because it wasn't the old Jane's I once knew.. I will always love the old stuff.. one part of me will never grow past the original XXX live album, because in one sense, that is absolute pure Janes's and nothing can ever compare to it. But upon listening, I've come to love the newer music, I hated it all at first. When I first listenedto escape artist, i turned it off after about three songs.. it wasn't until a harsh moment in life while I was having a really bad day through some tough time that it got under my skin. On that day, every song spoke to me and the music revealed itself.. in no way do I think their music suffered, I just changed and I wasn't ready for it. I honestly think their new music is so far ahead that it may be years before all of us fully comprehend what they're actually doing. Not to argue, I'm just stating my thoughts, because I do understand where you're coming from and what you're saying.

aman74

Silver Supporting Member
I don't take that as argumentative at all. I appreciate your thoughts. I just don't see what you do in their newer material and that's absolutely ok.

What live stuff should I look up?

I only got to see them once...the first Lollapalooza. They were really good and have a pretty good live rep from what I've heard. Some of there newer live shows that I've seen on youtube and such, seems like they still put on a good show. Gotta respect that. If anything, they're probably more consistent if they're clean.

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
This sounds like a band trying to make hit music of today. They seem to be trying really hard to be a relevant and new band today to today's youth.

But today's youth don't care about Jane's Addiction and likely never will.

I don't begrudge them for doing whatever they want to do, but to my ears, and as a guy whose a huge fan and about to fly to Vegas to see them in May, I think their new music is terrible. I still think they're great musicians, and Perry has one of the most unique voices I've ever heard, but their new music sucks.

It's not that it's "new" or a different sound. It's that the music has lost all the bombasticness, mysteriousness, danger and rawness.

Perry seems to want to sound "pretty" now, and it's essentially electronic music with guitars.

The lyrical content sucks. Perry certainly sings it well, but it also sounds "tuned," which is fine.

All the rawness, imperfections, attitude, anger, lust, etc. is completely GONE from their new music and now it's just a bunch of good musicians trying to write songs that will somehow make them relevant today. At least that's what it sounds like to me.

And I LOVE this band. So much that I'm spending 2K to go see them in Vegas.

When Perry took charge, the band as it was, ceased to exist. That's fine as there would be no band without him, but his insistence on controlling everything has ruined what the band once was and I doubt they ever will be.

neoprimitive

I respect everyone's opinions on Jane's because they do incite feelings in people, which is a powerful thing that music can do. For the record, I don't think there is auto tune on Perry's voice. I think you're just hearing a finely massagwd ibanez dm1000 and flangwe, which is what he's sung through forever.
And telekng, you're right, the rawness and imperfections, attitude and anger are gone. That was a long time ago, and I wish they still could do what they use to do, and give us that. But I know it's not going to happen, it just isn't. So I accept what things are. Aman74, there are so man, I'll have to go dig through my archives.. if you're on soul seek, there are a ton of great old live shows to get, many are soundboards.

aman74

Silver Supporting Member
This sounds like a band trying to make hit music of today. They seem to be trying really hard to be a relevant and new band today to today's youth.

But today's youth don't care about Jane's Addiction and likely never will.

I don't begrudge them for doing whatever they want to do, but to my ears, and as a guy whose a huge fan and about to fly to Vegas to see them in May, I think their new music is terrible. I still think they're great musicians, and Perry has one of the most unique voices I've ever heard, but their new music sucks.

It's not that it's "new" or a different sound. It's that the music has lost all the bombasticness, mysteriousness, danger and rawness.

Perry seems to want to sound "pretty" now, and it's essentially electronic music with guitars.

The lyrical content sucks. Perry certainly sings it well, but it also sounds "tuned," which is fine.

All the rawness, imperfections, attitude, anger, lust, etc. is completely GONE from their new music and now it's just a bunch of good musicians trying to write songs that will somehow make them relevant today. At least that's what it sounds like to me.

And I LOVE this band. So much that I'm spending 2K to go see them in Vegas.

When Perry took charge, the band as it was, ceased to exist. That's fine as there would be no band without him, but his insistence on controlling everything has ruined what the band once was and I doubt they ever will be.
Yes, and I never understand it when bands go this route...it's not going to work and people see right through it, so fans who are into the band are going to hate it and it will dismissed by the people they're trying to reach...doesn't help when the lyrics are really bad and you have a video like that.

moosewayne

Silver Supporting Member
I certainly don't dig them the way OP does, but I'm glad you have a band that does 'it' for you. That's a good feeling.
Rock On and Enjoy!!

I do remember seeing them right when Nothing Shocking was released. Really good show.

JRC4558Dude

I've been a huge Jane's fan since 1987, I've seen them 14 times, and so far cannot grow tired of what they do. They have a pretty new single out called another soul mate. At first I wasn't thrilled, but I listened to it today on my MP3 player At work, and i got it, in dig it. Dave's guitar work is incredible as ever, and I'm hoping we have a new album on the way. For me Dave's like the psychedelic atmospheric Chuck Berry.. For me they keep rock n roll alive in so many ways. Even without Eric, they still do it right.
http://youtu.be/aN8wyr7vJR4
Not really a new single.

There was a thread about it here when the song first came out.

I like it, but without Eric Avery, JA is basically over for me...

anominous

I find the "Janes is a shadow of their former selves" stuff is misguided.

"Strays" for example. Is it as sui generis as NS and RdlH? I suppose not. But it's still a very good installment and as good as if not better than anybody could reasonably expect, all things considered.

Maybe moreso these TIMES are a shadow of former times. Janes was a unique, fresh, raw, flavor in a turbulent moment in rokk, as 80s rokk was being upheaved by 'alternative' hard rokk. They captured a gritty, wildly alternative LA flavor of that. You can't recapture that.

Compare Janes to the Grateful Dead. Sure, AB/WD are their masterpieces, but the music that followed for the next 25 years was not 'a shadow' of it.

Niblos

It just breaks my heart that Perry can no longer hit those banshee-like screems! I know we all get older and they certainly don't get the
credit they
rightly deserve for kicking down the door for all the others but it's still not the same. Saw them at the Rialto in Raleigh in the Nothing's Shocking tour and twice in Ritual. Wished I could have seen them on the triple X first album with supporting acts Love & Rockets and James Hall!

Dee-low

Janes will always rule - but you are right he did create better music when he was a heroin addict - they said the same about Kurt

Top Bottom