Jane's Addiction/Dinosaur Jr./Living Colour tour

cabrato

July 19 - Boston, MA - Blue Hills Bank Pavilion
July 20 - Philadelphia, PA - The Fillmore
July 22 - Sterling Heights, MI - Freedom Hill Amphitheatre
July 23 - Cleveland, OH - Jacobs Pavilion at Nautica - I'll be there!

Anyone else here hitting any of these shows? All have been around a long time but can probably still kill it. Living Colour being on the bill sealed it for me.

Boston617

July 24th at the Murat in Indy as well.

Honestly, I'd go for the openers & leave. JA never did a thing for me. Also wondering how well the Boston show will be attended considering GNR is at Gillette that night.

cabrato

Jane's is cool but they're not a band where it's like "I HAVE to see them live". I think they'll sound good though, at least the band. They have a good rhythm section and Navarro always had a good tone and an ear for textures. Perry Ferrell's probably gonna suck though.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
Is Eric Avery playing with Jane's again? If not, I'm less interested in that band. Would be cool to see Dino and Living Colour, however.

cabrato

Is Eric Avery playing with Jane's again? If not, I'm less interested in that band. Would be cool to see Dino and Living Colour, however.
I didn't even think about that...looking around I guess they got some studio bassist. Kind of a bummer. I figured it'd be everyone on Ritual De Lo Habitual since it's a big 25th anniversary thing.

A-Bone

I didn't even think about that...looking around I guess they got some studio bassist. Kind of a bummer. I figured it'd be everyone on Ritual De Lo Habitual since it's a big 25th anniversary thing.
I don't think Avery can be around Ferrell without trying to strangle him to death.

cabrato

I just saw Dinosaur Jr. this summer (they were opening for Primus), and they flat-out rocked.

Here's a picture of Mascis' rig (with some stuff from the first opener in front):

I saw them in a TINY venue in Cleveland Heights, like 300 capacity, and he still had 3 full stacks blazing. It rocked but my ears were done after about a half hour.

A-Bone

I saw them in a TINY venue in Cleveland Heights, like 300 capacity, and he still had 3 full stacks blazing. It rocked but my ears were done after about a half hour.
Mascis is punishingly loud, for sure.

A-Bone

That sounds pretty reasonable. I don't even know the beef behind it, but I can buy that Ferrell would be infuriating to be around.
Yes. I'm a longtime fan of Jane's, but it isn't difficult to imagine.

Matt L

I think I might go to the Boston show, seeing as it's a Tuesday and I can actually see a show for once. Great lineup, love all three of those bands.

Jay Bones

I'll also be at the July Cleveland show. Love that venue, down by the powerhouse in The Flats.

Saw Robert Randolph and the Family Band there a couple times, and also Gov't Mule twice.

And I got to see Jane's in the fall of 1990 at Savage Hall, when I was a University of Toledo student. Volunteered at the student radio station, and was able to get free passes. Couldn't get backstage, but I was able to watch part of the show from the soundboard (WXUT was simulcasting it).

Living Color I saw at one of the Lollapaloozas, but never saw Dino.

Looking forward to it!!

Fu Schnickens

I'm in L.A. and have been to eight Jane's shows over the years. Even in a tent backstage at the Sunset Strip music festival with Taylor Hawkins and his fam sitting next to me. My daughters were tripping. A guy fell from the balcony at the Universal Amphitheater and landed on the seats directly behind me at a Jane's show. Saw Living Color open for GNR and the Stones twice in the same weekend- the infamous Coliseum Steel Wheels shows when Axl freaked out about his bandmates dancing with Brownstone. I went to the first Lollapalooza. I'm there when they come to the west coast.

Mascis' rig is ridiculous.

Last edited:

(Something)

I've seen Dino Jr. three times (once with Kevin Shields). After each time, I say "never again" because of the volume. I'll already be heading the NYC that week for Radiohead at MSG, so I'll probably stop in Philly for Dino Jr and make a vacation out of it (and the end of which, I will say never again).

A-Bone

I've seen Dino Jr. three times (once with Kevin Shields).
Did your ears bleed? MBV was the loudest show I ever saw. I swear I could have leaned forward and the volume would've kept me upright.

desertrat07

Silver Supporting Member
I saw Jane's and Living Colour at the first Lollapalooza in '91. Dinosaur Jr. wasn't there but the Butthole Surfers were. Living Colour was LOUD (like that was the beginning of my tinnitus loud). Jane's was excellent, in their prime, and they had lots of half naked ladies on the stage as I recall.

Trending Topics