Japan Made Les Pauls - which brands are best?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by james..., Dec 6, 2015.

1. james...

james... Supporting Member

People who have played a good amount of these, which ones are consistently really good? I'm talking Edwards, tokai, burny, greco.... Or any others.. I've Owned an orville. It was good. Better than an epiphone. Probably not quite as good as a good gibson.

2. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Supporting Member

The best bang for the buck right now if you're looking for something with a more substantial neck, '59ish, not too big not too small, are either the Bacchus Classic Series or the Epiphone LQ Series (not Elite/Elitist).

I have a Bacchus LP and SG from the Classic Series, now discontinued for a few years, and it is absolutely on par with any Gibson Standard I've ever played.

edwarddavis likes this.
  3. '59Fatburst

'59Fatburst Supporting Member

I've owned and played a ton of Japanese LP style guitars and my favorites have always been the Burny RLC series. They're well made, play and look great, have a great vibe and have the traditional headstock. Plus, they're priced pretty reasonably...For now.

Gasp100 and 27sauce like this.
  4. TheMockingbird

TheMockingbird Member

The new Burny RLC line is fantastic (vintage ones are great, too). The 55 model is the entry version made in China - very nice guitar for the price. Going up the line, the 115 is still made in Japan and flat-out rules. The feel, construction and sound are top notch. 115 stands for the price in yen (115k).

Now, that's the "custom" line. If you dig a burst instead of the black/gold look, I recommend the RLG series from Burny/Fernandes.

Same deal - model number corresponds to the price.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  5. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

I recently waded into the MIJ LP pool with an Edwards E-LP-120CD/QM and could not be any happier with it. A few years ago I had a Gibson LP Custom 68 RI and the Edwards very much reminds me of it. It's a marvelous instrument! Here's some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

7. custom53

custom53 Member

Loved my late '70s early '80s Burny Les Paul Custom.. With the 5 piece Diamond Logo..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ef_in_fla likes this.
  8. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

I think the specs of a high end Tokai model are close to a Gibson Historic (one piece body and neck, solid maple top, nitro.... still the mahogany used is african "mahogany", which is not a macrofilia... e.g. different plant and different species.). Still, I think you can't go wrong with a good Tokai, but the high end models are pricewise close to Gibson Custom Shop...

FWIW I did have a Burny LP custom and it was built very well, but I think the body was massively chambered (very light!) and the pickups were complete crap. So bare those 2 things in mind.

Average Joe likes this.
  9. bob-i

bob-i Member

I've had my Edwards LP for 10 years now, I wouldn't trade it for anything, simply a great guitar at any price. I've only done setups twice in 10 years. All I do is keep fresh strings on it and play.

I've played others, some good, some really good.

[​IMG]

10. blues

blues Supporting Member

I just picked up a 1980 Tokai LS 50 Reborn Old. I like it better than the several Gibby Standards ive had.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AustinIsPresent and guitarnut_1 like this.
  11. telelion

telelion Member

Nice guitar blues. I have a late 80's Burny that is surely equal(I think) to the best of the current non custom shop Gibsons.

If I were you James(OP), I would go vintage MIJ. That is my specialty and I've played vintage, CS, boutique, etc. and they are the best bang for a serious quality instrument for let's say one fourth or more of the price. If you're interested this has about as much info as is probably known on the subject. I clicked it on the Burny page but the whole site is great.

http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/burny info.html

PosterBoy likes this.
  12. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Gold Supporting Member

From '78 thru '93 you could probably by a better Japanese LP style guitar on a one to one basis. Since then though not so much. The historic line changed all that. To,get an equivalent LP now the Japanese guitars will cost just as much and won't say Gibson on the headstock. That's just the way it is.

telelion likes this.
  13. bob-i

bob-i Member

Really? I paid 89,000 yen for my Edwards 10 years ago. My research shows that today I would pay ~100,000 yen today. In US$ that's $660 and $810. Show me a Gibson LP custom for $810 today.

14. TheMockingbird

TheMockingbird Member

Nonsense.

15. Mc Tanza

Mc Tanza Member

The high end Tokai models use both Honduras mahogany for the body and neck and Brazilian Rosewood for the fretboard. So it's actually the other way around: The Gibson Historic ones are close to them spec wise.

16. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Would a Tokai Love Rock be considered high end?

17. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

Probably the top of the line models which cost as much as a Gibson historic... althou I am not aware of a CURRENT Tokai model that uses real macrofilia mahogany.... and for all we know, Gibson uses real honduran mahogany on all the historic models (probably grown in Fiji, but still the same plant!) African "mahogany" is not real mahogany, it is similar, but that's a different plant.

18. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

You'd have to look at the exact model number LS120, LS50, LS260... whatever. The higher the number, the higher the model. Love Rock means it's a Les Paul... nothing more.

19. Last

Last Member

I've refinished a Burny and it had the thinnest maple cap I've ever dealt with.

It was a nice looking veneer on the other hand.

20. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

There are so many good copies it would be hard to pin down the best. Within each brand you'll have a scale of quality and features. The numbering system is popular with most manufactures- like with Tokai LS-50, 60, 80, 100 120. I think there are some great bargains on the used market for recent mid quality LPs - Edwards, Bacchus, History, Tokai- all great guitars that will easily compete with mid level Gibson but for much less money.

Nickstrtcstr likes this.