japanese 60's custom tele

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fuzzz, Jul 16, 2008.

1. fuzzz

fuzzz Member

Any opinions about the japanese 60's custom telecaster?I'm having thoughts of getting one through the internet and upgrading it...but i won't be able to try it before bying,so im little worried about what i will get...what do you think about the japanese factory in terms of consistency? is it a safe enough buy?

2. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Don't know if this is the one you mean, but I picked up a used japanese Fender RI of the '62 custom, believe it was. Bound body. Got it in '88 or so. Loved the guitar, but not the pickups. gave it to my bass player and have been kicking myself ever since. Never occured to me to swap pickups. It had a great neck, and was light.

3. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

I bought a Japanese '62 custom about 4 years ago, and it was a great guitar. Build quality seemed pretty good, and the hardware wasnt bad at all. I ended up upgrading the bridge pickup but that was it. Felt really nice to play.

Sold it to my vocalist in the end though when he needed a new guitar.

4. fuzzz

fuzzz Member

Judjing by the one i've tried so far,i find it to be a nice guitar,that could be even nicer with some simple upgrades..in a way it sits nicely between the mexicans(try before you buy is an absolute rule here..) and the more expensive american made models(vintage reissue and so on,where things are a lot more consistent)..and since "try before you buy" is my main philosophy in guitar shopping,i'm a bit nervous about getting one through the net..

5. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I don't know about consistency, but I bought one off the wall in a local store, and everyone who has tried it says it's a great sounding and looking guitar. I hated the pickups and changed them for Kinman Broadcasters. I also changed the bridge for a Callaham bridge with steel saddles, but to be honest, I think the original bridge sounded just as good - which is not a criticism of the Callaham, but a compliment to the CIJ bridge.

6. loiking

loiking Member

i want one.
    i can tell you that much.

7. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

Before i bought mine, i tried 3 different ones out, all in different shops - and didnt spot any differences between them in terms of quality. They seem far, far more consistent than the Mexican models, with overall better build quality.

Would definately benefit from some Don Mare pickups though!

8. MSS

MSS Member

I've got a red CIJ from 1985 and it really is a great guitar. I also have a 2003 62 AVRI Telecaster (made in USA) and as far as build quality goes, they are both the same. The Japanese version seems to have a smaller neck but on mine, the electronics are the same........sorry, the pup switch on the USA is better quality but the cheaper plastic one on the Japanese one works and have never had a problem with it. Great guitars and the Japanese versions are about $500 - 800 cheaper!

9. rhp52

rhp52 Supporting Member

I've got an '85 Tokai Breezysound. Great neck, replaced the pups and it sould great.
    looking to move it, if you're interested

10. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

I have one ... picked it up about a year ago and based on the serial number it's an '87 tele custom '62RI. Refinished in vintage white a long time ago with wear back down to original finish fading through. It was originally red, so I could do without the 'pink' arm wear spot.

Extremely light at less than 7 lbs.

Felt great, but sound was just ok, so I swapped out the electronics for an Acme pre-wired assembly with a 4-way switch and Lollar Vintage tele pups.

Woah ... huge improvement - although I have 'nicer' guitars, my bandmates are always suggesting that's the one I should bring to shows.

The only drawback for me is the neck shape is comfortable, but it's a little on the thin side, which is really just personal preference.

Based on this guitar, if I was to come across others for a reasonable price, I'd pick another one up without hesitation.

11. fuzzz

fuzzz Member

Thank you very mutch for the feedback guys!! I finally ordered one,so let's just wait and see...it's my first web-shopped guitar,hope i'll get a good one!

12. erplander

erplander Member

I got a 62 RI a few months back from Ishibashi used, s/n dates to 2002, sunburst with double binding, rosewood fingerboard, with Texas Specials. I really love it! Sounds great and plays great (looks great too). I had it set up when I got it to fix some minor buzzing, but other than it's a really nice guitar. I'm thinking about swapping out saddles and maybe the switch, but really I'm having no problems with it so far, so I may leave it stock for now.

I hope yours turns out to be a good one!