Japanese Anime _ What's this all about ?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by TopDog, Aug 2, 2020 at 10:03 AM.

1. TopDog

TopDog "jumping the valence" Silver Supporting Member

I met the chef who plays guitar and sings. He told me he was asked to record guitar and sing for a Japanese Anime. He said he was paid well, up front too.

See below....

These Animes seem to be a big thing within that circle of followers. Does anyone follow this and what can you tell me about them? I'm curious.

2. jdel77

jdel77 Supporting Member

Two things you need to know about Japan.
    1. Japan is neither in or out of the box. There simply is no box.
    2. Japan is awesome.

3. silverhawk

silverhawk Member

That stuff is huge worldwide, and I don't get it AT ALL. Further to that, I don't wanna get it. Japanese culture has some downright bizarre aspects.

4. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Anime strikes me as a particularly deep rabbit hole.

5. TopDog

Been there 9 times in the 90's... It's way awesome!

matw, koji and jdel77 like this.
  6. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

I’ve been into Anime since the 70’s when WGN showed “Star Blazers” on weekday mornings. That was the gateway drug.
    The next step was getting a bootleg VHS of “Akira” and “Ninja Scroll” from my Japanese tutor in the early 90s.

Fast forward to the ‘00s. I don’t follow or watch Anime. I’m a dad, 2 young daughters who love music.
    A friend asks me if I’ve heard of “K-On!”, which at the time was the most popular anime series ever in Japan.
    No idea. So I hop on the torrents and find a bunch of subbed tv rips from Asia.
    Checked it out...and it hooked me.
    Plus my kids were hooked as well.
    The story is good, but the music is great. It’s pop, but it’s insanely hooky and technical in it’a precision and execution.

BTW - “K-On!” is now on Netflix.
    It’s kid/family friendly. Pretty silly.
    The first season where they put the band together is the best.
    The movie is good as well.

HomeInMyShoes, pepedede and TopDog like this.
  7. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Yup, 13yo daughter is into it. Most is harmless drama, but there are some pretty graphic violent/sexual content too...

8. 8len8

8len8 Supporting Member

My millennial step son is into this stuff. It’s definitely a thing unto its own.

TopDog likes this.
  9. EpicEsquire

EpicEsquire Member

Korg Miku pedal approves of this thread

Dr Bonkers, ClickClack and bullet6759 like this.
  10. claudel

claudel Supporting Member

Which anime?

Spectrum goes from kiddy vanilla to off-the-scale weird/nasty...

A lot of it is more enjoyable to me than much of the recycled meh that Hollywood is excreting these days.

<<< Lucoa approves this poast! :*)

11. AltecGreen

AltecGreen Silver Supporting Member

Anime has been around since at least the 1950's. It is a part of Japanese and Asian culture in general. The topics run from children oriented shows to very adult themed shows and spans a wide variety of story genres. It is hugely influential in Japanese culture and has spread all over the world. I was involved with some of the early anime clubs in the 1980's that went on to form Anime Expo.

Music has always been a big focal point of anime since most shows have opening and closing songs. These change each season and can even change within a season. The music is very popular and it has been an avenue for success for a lot of up and coming bands. Landing your song as an opening or closing song on a popular show can propel your career.

For example, the all female band Scandal landed the tenth (Shoujo S) and fifteenth (Harakaze) opening songs for Bleach, a very popular anime and one of my favorites. Shoujo S was their third single and it went to number #6. That helped them land their debut album at #5. Eleven years later, they are huge and one of the few Japanese bands to have their own label as well as signature instruments from Fender.

People here always talk about the death of guitar music and rock. In Japan, it is very much alive and some part is due to the fact that guitar based music is still popular in anime. K-On, as mentioned above, was centered around a girl's high school band. It drove the sales of gear for kids. You now have the Bang Dream Project is is a multi-media franchise based on the trials and tribulations of a group of all girl bands. This project spans anime, live bands, manga (Japanese comics), Live TV shows, video games, ... ESP, Strandberg, and Spector are making money hand over fist from the anime because the instruments used in the anime are identical to the ones played by the live bands whose members voice the anime characters.

The anime

The actual band and voice actresses.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020 at 12:41 PM
    matw, Tomo El Gato, claudel and 2 others like this.
  12. TopDog

I know TGP would know about this stuff.
    Thanks

13. pcutt

pcutt Member

I'm not familiar with Strandberg and Spector guitars. How are they in terms of quality of materials/components, construction and tone?

derekd likes this.
  14. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Head on over to the Guitars in General forum here and do a search on Strandberg guitars.

We've had lots of threads there with photos, reviews and clips.

A-Bone likes this.
  15. ramses

ramses Member

Correct.

For example, anime has been popular and a regular thing on Spaniard TV and Latin-American TV since the 80's.

16. RC Mike

RC Mike Member

A good portion of it seems to be about sexualizing young girls.

17. blueworm

blueworm Member

I guess it depends which portion you watch ;)

matw likes this.
  18. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Indeed. It isn't all hentai.

matw, Spider Mark and deeohgee like this.
  19. CassetteTape

CassetteTape Member

So is a good portion of TV, internet and social media. Unfortunately I think nearly all media has an element of that. .

I don't blame a lot of people for making judgements on the surface about it, I was the same way. To be clear, I'm not into Anime but I do visit Japan often and have a relative who is into it and has asked me to help her get things since I visit Japan, so I've had quite a bit of education on the subject. The comics and cartoons are not something I can tolerate at all, but the feature length movies are actually quite good, with complex characters and storylines, exceptional writing that the west just doesn't do in it's stories and movies very often.

We've watched these and I'd see any of them again. They were all really good and I don't give a crap about Anime, I just like great stories. Once you get past the way it's presented and can just enjoy the stories I realize why people can get into it.

Spirited Away
    Princess Mononoke
    Howells moving castle
    My Neighbor Totoro
    Your Name
    Grave of the Fireflies

I had to look up this list to remember which ones we had seen https://www.imdb.com/list/ls063229245/

20. drewl

drewl Member

American cartoons are also quite popular.