Japanese bands? Anyone? *vid heavy*

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by tele118, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Simto

Simto Member

Tele118: "Short Hair" by Base Ball Bear probably has the one of the coolest drum sounds ever recorded. I could listen to the intro over and over but the rest of the song is amazing too, i love the "air" in the sound. Very open and beautiful song, the video is cool too.

Just wanted to recommend Tamio Okuda again. He's an amazing songwriter, i posted a couple of his songs in the old thread but i think these are worthy of a repost
    This one has one of my favourite rythm tones at 1:25. That's actually one thing i've noticed about a lot of Japanese music. They really like that "middle" sound, you know... middle switch with 2 P90's or on a Tele or a Jazzmaster, that sound is very apparent.

This is a cover song by Tamio, it's just awesome and again the tone is great! That's another cool thing about Japanese music. It seems like they all know "what sounds good" for the song. Live i think most j-rock bands i've heard (on the web of course) sound great too and the music videos have, generaly, a really classy look. It doesn't look like most western music videos where 90% of them look like somebody in the band has a friend with a DSLR camera and shot a random perfomance video with a few "story elements" about a couple breaking up or finding each other and some horribly ugly colour grading done later...
    Anyway, this song kicks ass!

I think western pop musicians could learn a lot from Japanese pop artists/bands (not all that SUPER KAWAII IDOL stuff though... that ****'s horrible)
    Take for instance Kaela Kimura. I think she's a great artist because her song are pop songs, but they sound original. Her songs sound very different from one another, unlike most western pop artists/bands, and the thing i like the most is that it sounds like the songs were written like the band sat in a room and played around and found some cool sounding stuff... You know, and not a cookie cutter studio mold.
    They have interesting chord progressions (that's generaly in J-rock too) that we don't hear in mainstream western music. The instruments have cool arrangements and the songs are catchy, even if you don't know what the hell she's singing, the vocal melodies are very catchy.
    These are some of her more rocking songs, she does have some more "pop" songs too, but i think these are great songs. I would love to be able to turn on the radio or MTV and hear songs like this.

This video has two songs.
    The pre chorus in "Yellow" is awesome with the two guitars parts playing together and "Tree Climbers" just sounds killer!

These two songs are very cool too, i especially like "You Bet!"
    I can only find a drum cover of them now though, but he's a good one.
    Seriously, listen to the guitar parts in this song! They're awesome

Sorry for the WALL OF TEXT! :) i just like these songs a lot.

2. Paulo Grua

Paulo Grua Member

Loved CHATMONCHY, thanks!

I really enjoy the Triceratops...

3. tele118

tele118 Member

@Simto, those videos are great. I watched all of em lol I never heard of Kaela Kimura or Tamio Okuda before, but I like em now :D Kaela's presence is really awesome on stage.

Good to hear! There stuff is available here in the US through iTunes and Amazon. I'm not sure if it is in Brazil though :huh Oh and Triceratops reminds me of Red hot chilli peppers

4. Simto

Simto Member

Triceratops are very cool, i really like Acidman too they're a very good band.
    I'll definitely give another thumbs up for Sambomaster. I have no idea how the singer isn't a twig with the amount of energy he puts into the music, that dude's onstage energy is massive. The best thing about them is the energy feels very genuine and not forced or "expected". I mean a lot of Asian people always do "what's expected of them" but these guys feel very genuine. Pure feelings and energy in a huge musical explosion.

I love this song by Asian Kung Fu Generation too, it's not on youtube anymore but i found it on Vimeo, here's a link.
    http://vimeo.com/46661979
    I think this song, even though it's a "happy" song, it still has a... like pensive/melecholy/bittersweet feel to the too. I think a lot of the j-rock i've heard has that feel too, which i really like.

If anybody watches anime, the studio that made Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo always have very good music in their shows/movies. They recently made a show about jazz musicians, i haven't seen it yet but one of my older brothers has and says it's very much focused on music (unlike a show like BECK)
    Just a little example, this is from an action sequence in Cowboy Bebop the movie. I think it's great instrumental and it adds some very cool flavour to the show.

Just a little note, i think the Cowboy Bebop anime is the best anime i've ever seen, i would highly recommend it to all sci fi fans, it's a must see!

Nujabes, who sadly passed away, made some very cool chill music. He also made the soundtrack to Samurai Champloo which is very cool. Again it adds a lot of character to the show.
    I love these two tracks, i just drift when i hear them.

5. sahhas

sahhas Member

I was just reading about Acid Mothers Temple band, and discovered this guitarist:

really love his stuff, may have to check out more!
    some of the Acid Mother Temple album covers are a bit out there....as well as Kawabata Makoto solo stuff....crazy....

Hallogallo likes this.
  6. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

This thread is about Boris.

sahhas likes this.
  7. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

Heads up, Acid Mothers is touring the US this year!

I highly suggest seeing them live.

They also do have ALOT of albums.
    Personally I suggest:
    La Novia
    Pataphysical Freak-Out Mu!
    New Geocentric World
    Darkside of the Black Moon

and try to find the hour long studio version of Pink Lady Lemonade. I think it's on the 3 disc Kawabata collection, 'Do Whatever You Want, Don't Do Whatever You Don't Want!!'

sahhas likes this.
  8. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

80s era Loudness with guitarist Akira Takasaki

harpinon and Pedal Dan like this.
  9. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

10. AltecGreen

AltecGreen Member

I've been catching up on a bunch of all-female Japanese bands while exploring Japanese gear

The bass player, F Chopper Koga, is really good from Gacharic Spin.

The drummer for Aldious is Terry Bozzio's step-daughter.

This is not my normal style of music but I can't stop listing to this song. I kinda of want Mio's guitar.

11. seward

seward Member

Someone mentioned Boredoms...I'd like to mention them again. Seen them three times. Always a knockout.

First two shows were like Naked City if John Zorn had a sense of humor. Extremely high level of musicianship for a bunch of weirdos. I took a friend to see my third show, expecting a repeat of the first two shows (which would have been fine with me).

It was not. It was the drum show. The one where you spend the first half-hour wondering "Are they really gonna do this [all band members but vocalist Yamatsuka Eye playing drums really, really hard] for the entire show?"

Yes, my son. Yes, they are.

It was a very good show.

P.S. saw Naked City live, with Eye on vocals. I enjoyed it very much.

P.P.S. And then there's Melt-Banana...hopefully, someone else will be good enough to share some insights and video.

12. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

13. seward

seward Member

Melt Banana. A singer, a guitarist and some machines.

sahhas likes this.
  14. wombat66

wombat66 Member

The first time I saw The Boredoms may have been their first NYC appearance? It was at the old knit and they appeared as John Zorn's backup band on a project he called Torture Garden (not the naked city LP of the same name).

not my recording but I was at this show

seen The Boredoms quite a few times since, Yamatsuka Eye was my spirit animal in the 90s

Hallogallo and seward like this.
  15. chummybum

chummybum Member

Aw yissss

Some others:

Dragnats

locofrank

Someone mentioned Asian Kung Fu Generation

Someone mentioned all-girl bands, Scandal has been at it for 12+ years

Touch My Secret, not sure if they're around anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuk0Jf2cwxY

GuitarGuy66 likes this.