Japanese guitar wiring help

Long time lurker, I need your help. I'm wiring a japanese Burns style knockoff hollow body guitar, but I'm an idiot when it comes to dpdt switches.

I've set it up with 2 burns trisonic single coils (its only routed for two pups) and a bigsby.

Trying to wire it for single volume, single tone, and 2 dpdt switches for pickup selectors as that's what the control plate has.

How would I wire that and should I run a ground strap to the plate of the bigsby that screws to the guitar?

Thanks.

Any wiring suggestions or diagrams would be great because everything diagram I can find online just shows dpdt switches being used for phase or series/parallel thanks.

cardinal

So one dpdt switch per pickup so each as it's own on-off switch? You'd only need to use half of each switch. I'd probably permanently ground each pickup and run each pickup's hot wire to the center of the respective dpdt switch. The off position I'd send the signal to ground. For the on position, send the signal to the volume pot's input. Then wire the volume and tone just as you see on pretty much any single vol single tone diagram.

When pot pickups are on, they'll be on in parallel. When one is off, the other pickup should keep on working.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
you can't send the off pickup's signal to ground, that's what's killing the entire signal.

wire the switches to just disconnect the pickup's hot entirely.

cardinal

^ Maybe that's right, but I'm not seeing how that'd happen if you wired it how I'm thinking of (the volume pot/output jack wouldn't see the ground connection, only the deactivated pickup), but I'd think it works to just to disconnect it entirely, too.

walterw

...I'm not seeing how that'd happen if you wired it how I'm thinking of (the volume pot/output jack wouldn't see the ground connection, only the deactivated pickup)...
OK yeah, that would work, and maybe theoretically reduce noise a little. you're shorting the pickup itself to ground, but only after disconnecting it from the rest of the circuit.

i meant you can't kill one pickup by just shorting it to ground (like a normally wired volume pot does) without killing the entire signal.

Does that look right? The white and blue wires are the hot from each pickup. Green and black wires are the grounds. One for the pickup and one for the cover.

cardinal

I can't tell what the top lugs of the switches are wired to. If it's ground, that's your problem. Switching off one pickup grounds everything, I think. Swap the middle lugs with the bottom lugs (where the pickup hot wires are currently) and that should fix it.

Mark Robinson

I would consider re-wiring those DPDT switches so that one pickup hot is wired to a center lug of each switch. I would wire one outside lug of each switch to the volume pot, and the other outside lug to ground.

Assess the switch first with a volt meter to see which switch position closes each pair of lugs.

Trending Topics