Japanese LP Experts - Help Needed

dougiefresh

Silver Supporting Member
I have a chance to pickup a History LP copy.

I'm having a hard time finding much info on these - when you google LP & history together you get millions of results and no help.

Just hoping for some opinions, tips, insight, whatever you got.

Thanks in advance!

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
I had one - really well crafted and an overall sweet guitar. Does it have the curved frets?

dougiefresh

Silver Supporting Member
I had one - really well crafted and an overall sweet guitar. Does it have the curved frets?
I believe it does.
Looks like it says Circle Fretting System on the truss rod cover.

Last edited:

Stringz

What is the price? I find in these cases the unknown brand names work heavily in your favor as many people have no clue about the history (no pun intended) of these guitars. If it's a Fuji Gen then it's every bit as good as a Burny or Greco of similar vintage but should cost a lot less. If the seller wants the same money as a Burny or Greco, I'd pass and find an actual Burny or Greco. You'll have less trouble getting a good price if you decide to sell it later than if you overpay for an off brand.

gliew

I was doing this same search some time ago. From what I was able to gather, History is an in-house brand of Shimamura Music (can anybody verify?).

Anyway, more info under "Our Brands" in the link below. Also gives a brief description of their "Circle Fretting" system.
http://www.shimamura.co.jp/english/index.html

And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they were built in Fuji-gen.

gassyndrome

If that's the case, it was probably built at the Fugi-Gen factory, the premier factory in Japan, where the Elitist Les Pauls were built, along with all of the over the top Ibanez guitars from yesteryear.
This.

They pop up on Ishibashi's U-Box all the time for very little. They look great. :aok

Orville Greco

History is a Shimamura instore brand, I take lessons there, the History guitars are not cheap roughly from around $1500 to over $6000, click on this link its the closest I cud find to your pics, this one list for around $2600 give or take.

http://www.shimamura.co.jp/originalbrand/history/eg_gh/gh_ls.html

When I first started lessons there while talking with staff is that I tought the History guitars looked cool but I just cudnt get past the name on the headstock so I have never played one. But they are certainly high quality axes, I will leave you with this:love:

http://www.shimamura.co.jp/originalbrand/history/eg_ah/ah_lc.html

aorund $7000!

Jagsound

History is a Shimamura instore brand, I take lessons there, the History guitars are not cheap roughly from around $1500 to over $6000, click on this link its the closest I cud find to your pics, this one list for around $2600 give or take.

http://www.shimamura.co.jp/originalbrand/history/eg_gh/gh_ls.html
The OP's History LP is not from this series, it is the lower entry level type (IMO, see headstock and fret inlays) but, even so, would still retail for about 100k Yen, which is about 1100 USD? Also that's just a currency conversion on the Japanese price, the actual retail price in America of this History LP could be different.

whitehall

I had always heard that History, like Brian and Episode were guitars at various price points from Bacchus. Want a quick answer ? post it on the Japanaxe forum. www.japanaxe.com. Nice bunch of people over there too.

dougiefresh

Silver Supporting Member
Just made the deal.

It's a beautiful guitar, plays great.

Very resonant.

Weighs 10 lbs or so!

1 piece body, 1 piece neck.

Fralin's with a coil tap.
Unfortunately, the Fralin's have got to go.
Just not my cup of tea.

I had the Motor City 2nd Degree Black Belt's in my old Edwards 130, and they were amazing.

Thanks for your help, glad I grabbed this one!

Jagsound

I had always heard that History, like Brian and Episode were guitars at various price points from Bacchus. Want a quick answer ? post it on the Japanaxe forum. www.japanaxe.com. Nice bunch of people over there too.
History comes from the Fujigen factory (used to have the Fender Japan contract). You're right about Brian, it was a lower price point series from Bacchus, made in Korea originally and then moved to China.

Jagsound

Just made the deal.

It's a beautiful guitar, plays great.

Very resonant.

Weighs 10 lbs or so!

1 piece body, 1 piece neck.
Sounds like a good one!
Can you notice the curved frets? I couldn't see or feel any curve to them when I checked out a History semi a while back.

dougiefresh

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like a good one!
Can you notice the curved frets? I couldn't see or feel any curve to them when I checked out a History semi a while back.
I don't really notice much either.

Intonation is good all the way up the neck, curved frets or just a good setup?

Trending Topics