Japanese vs Mexican Strat 60's Reissues?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lgehrig4, Dec 15, 2005.

1. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I've been looking into both of these lately and wanted to know if anyone had any opinions of the quality of each and how they compared to each other?

Normally I would just assume the Japs were better, but I have tried the Mex version and it felt and played a whole lot nicer than your typical Mex strats.

I've read some Mex reviews on HC, but I cannot find any specificially for the Jap version.

What do you think of each?

thanks
    jeff

2. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

i had a mexican strat from the early 90's that i didn't care for too much. but now with the new state of the art facility at Enseda, I've played classic series strats that feel better than some of the new American Series. however, the CIJ Japan instruments are nice too. I wouldn't say one was better than the other, just that the typical variances exist from guitar to guitar as in any production model made by Fender.

I think the AV Reissues are better than both. but as far as getting your hands on a bunch of them to try out, your best bet is probably with the Mexican Classic series.

hell, there are guys on Ebay building custom strats that sell for over a 1000 bucks using a 60's Classic series refinished neck. if it wasn't for the MIM stamp on the back, I wonder how many people would actually notice the difference.

3. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

I bought and sold a "classic" 60's Strat this year. It was a good guitar that would have made a good platform for upgrades (pickups, bridge, etc.). I played a bunch and the one I bought was the best of them, but there weren't really any wild quality swings across the board.
    I used the purchase to confirm yet again that I'm not a Strat guy. That said, I don't really have anything bad to say about the guitar other than to point out that it's shortcomings are in the electronics and hardware, NOT in the build quality or finish. If you were willing to spend $4-500 on upgrades you'd have a really good guitar. Of course now you're in for over $1000, which opens up all sorts of other Strat possibilities, especially if you bottom-feed used.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I think the problem a number of people run into with this guitar and it's Tele counterpart is that they're made to vintage specs. This means lower output pickups, vintage style parts, fret size, neck radius and so forth. I recommend the Deluxe Players or Powerhouse for those who want modern features and the JV Strat for those who want a combo of new and old.

5. lgehrig4

I'm not too concerned with the electronics, because the first thing I am going to do is pop in my pre-wired Van Zandt Blues. What I am concerned with is the quality of the fit and finish.

I can also upgrade the hardware if necessary, but I draw the line at fret jobs.

6. doctorx

doctorx Member

I have a '60s Mexi Strat. It's a good guitar, the build quality is very good. I don't play it much because I have a real 1960 Strat that has spoiled me. The guitar is built to vintage specs, 7.5 radius neck, low output pickups, vintage tuners, etc. If this kind of thing floats your boat then get one.

If I end up truly keeping this guitar I definely will replace the neck, and probably the bridge pickup with something hotter.

7. Luke V

Luke V Member

I think the MIM strats are basswood, the older MIJ where alder, I don't know about the newer ones.

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

No. Some MIJ models were basswood and some were alder. Older MIM were alder, then they switched to poplar for a few years around 2000 and now they're back to alder. Ash MIM models weren't affected by this change.

9. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Not true.

10. colinm

colinm Member

The most often complaint I hear about the CIJ guitars are the mini-pots and plastic switches they use whereas the MIM guitars *I think* use full size CTS pots and quality switches. That being said, I have purchased 3 new guitars from Fender Japan in the past 3 years and each one has had nearly perfect fretwork straight from the factory.

11. Luke V

Luke V Member

Thanks for the info. :jo

12. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Fit and finish on the top of the line Japanese guitars is on a par with the USA Custom Shop.

If you can put up with a used one, go to the Ishibashi "u-box" (used gear site) and do a search for "Fender Japan. There's a nice '62RI with USA pickups for less than $400 shipped.

The url is http://www.excite.co.jp/world/engli...ww.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2

Just put the term "Fender Japan" in the search box and all the FJ stuff will come up. I've never gone with guitars bought from Ishibashi. But buy the pricier models, not the cheap ones.
    [SIZE=+2][/SIZE]

13. 83stratman

83stratman Member

I have an '83 JV '62 RI Strat and a '99 '62 AVRI Strat. I used to own a '99 MIM '60s Classic Strat (one of the poplar ones), a '01 60's Classic Tele (Alder) and have played MANY Jap reissues over the years. Fit and finish on the Jap stuff is, as mentioned, generally REAL good. For my ears, however, I consistantly find the Jap reissues lacking in the tone dept. Although the MIM reissues do not sound as good as a AVRI IMO, they consitantly, to my ears, sound close to an AVRI and better that any Jap RI I have played. If you shop enough, you will be able to hand pick a real nice playing MIM Classic, something one is not usually able to do with a Japanese one nowadays.

14. 83stratman

83stratman Member

Actually, the AV '62, JV '62 and the MIM '60s have all had Antiqities, '62 RI pickups and Texas Specials rotated in them at one time or another.

15. lgehrig4

Nice strats GuitarTone! I actually picked up a couple ot Tokais. I have a black TST-56 from 84' and Cream AST-62 from 85'. I like what I am hearing so far, except now the 62 is humming after I changed the strings and took a peek at the guts.