Jaques Trinity

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CaribouFoot, Mar 15, 2005.

1. CaribouFoot

CaribouFoot Member

Anyone have a good review of this pedal? I had one offered to me in a trade today (for a Banzai Fireball I).

I love the garcia/zappa Mutron sound...will I be able to get near that with this? I currently have a Q-tron, but I find that it is a little harsh sounding with my set-up and would like something a bit mellower...

2. sage97

sage97 Member

I have the Jacques TB and FB II and love them both. However, Ive asked similar questions in the past about his pedals and did not get much of a response.

Not trying to discourage you but do a search and you'll find that aside from the Meistersinger, his products just don't seem very popular here. I really don't know why.

I know I like his stuff, though.

3. CaribouFoot

CaribouFoot Member

Thanks for the response...I couldn't find much on when I searched, hence the thread.

I think that I'll give it a go...Hopefully, a good review will follow.

4. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

CF-

Did you try the Trinity? I'd love to hear a review.

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

6. Douge

Douge Member

+1 for Scott! Good Stuff & Good 'ol boy!!

7. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

ANybody else have any experience with the trinity?

8. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

I got to test drive a Trinity last year.

First of all, the foot pedal-pump thing was a let down. It does give you a different way to control the effect, but there isn't too much "feel" to it. The Trinity will NOT replace a good wah pedal.

Overall the sound of the pedal is clear and bright. I compared it to a Q Tron and an MXR Auto Q and the Trinity had the brightest sound without getting ice picky. You can do auto wah or envelope filter or a combo. It's only BP I think, so not as many options as the Q Tron. Small solid feeling pedal. Nice sounds.

9. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

My MIni Q seems to suck a lot of tone and it takes up a huge space on my board. Just looking for something more feasible.

10. carltonh

carltonh Member

Bump for curiosity if the Trinity can get the type of sounds the Analogue Filter can do?

11. sh333

sh333 Supporting Member

The trinity is a real sleeper pedal. Not many people have them yet. They are great IMHO. I find the dome pretty easy to cop classic wah sounds form and it is really cool even when you don't have the pedal set for wah wah sounds as you can use it to kinda freeze the autowah or Env. filter sounds.

For the money it is a steal.

12. danelectrico

danelectrico Member

Hey all...this is my first post.

I've had a Trinity on my board for the last couple of months. I don't use envelope filters or auto wahs much but for the occasional song, and it's one of those "just in case I need it" things. Anyway I had a Digitech Synth Wah before that, which was really thin, digital sounding and generally disappointing. The Trinity caught my eye because of its size.

I've found it to be a very versatile little guy. The Manual knob basically controls the gradient of the wah - if you turn all other knobs to zero, it acts as your wah pedal's rocker. The other controls start to react interactively with Manual once you turn them up...then where you set the Manual knob will be the tonal starting point set the tone of where your filter/autowah sweep begins. Playing with Depth and Rate will give you autowah sounds - turning Rate all the way up creates an interesting tremolo wobble with phasey undertones. Sens controls the sensitivity of your attack on the strings and its interaction with the filter.

For a classic filter I usually keep Rate, Depth and Sens under 9 o'clock - 10 o'clock is pushing it.

I've tried it with the dome controller - I can't see it replacing a good wah. Maybe I'll have to toy with it some more but I can see some use for it in the phasey trem setting.

I have a Teese RMC-2 as well. Comparing the both, the Trinity does not have the RMC-2's tonal complexity, body and thickness. The Trinity can tend to get a little trebly - watch the Manual and Depth controls though and it should be fine. The knobs are pretty sensitive, a slight turn can alter the sound quite a bit.

Engaged, there seems to be a very very slight almost imperceptable volume boost but I hardly notice it especially if I'm running my overdrives. I place the Trinity after my RMC-2, before my overdrives and compression.

I don't have much experience with envelope filters aside from the Synth Wah, so I have no idea how it compares with a Tonefactor pedal. I think the Trinity offers a lot of different sounds if you spend time tweaking it - as I said, each knob is very interactive with the others. If you're looking for a fixed wah rocker setting for solos it's a good bet as there's a huge range of tones just in the Manual knob alone. Overall it's not bad at all and it seems to be a pretty versatile filter to me.

13. carltonh

carltonh Member

The sound samples seem like it goes way too quickly to the treble range. I like the sound samples of the Analogue Filter and Pigtronix EP-1 because they spend more of the travel in the midrange and allow for more variety.

...though maybe the Trinity is better than the sound samples, but I won't buy it judging from them alone.

14. sh333

sh333 Supporting Member

Def. try one out in person. J's sounds samples are not that great compared to the real thing :)