1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Jaros Guitars - Question

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by 1955Junior, Jun 29, 2006.

1. 1955Junior

1955Junior Silver Supporting Member

I have an opportunity to purchase an early Jaros semi-solid body electric. The guitar was made, I believe, before Jaros had any involvement with Ed Roman. I'm not sure of the model designation, but it has a flamed maple (cherry sunburst) back and sides with two humbuckers, bridge, and stop tail. It doesn't look like anything on Ed Roman's Web site. My question - is there a market for early Jaros electrics? My concern is if I bought the guitar and needed to sell it some day.

Any information is appreciated.

Regards,

2. KarlH

KarlH Supporting Member

its not a collectable, if thats what you are asking.

3. 1955Junior

Thanks!

4. 6thstringmusic

6thstringmusic Member

Although Jim's original instruments aren't as sought after in comparison to other builders, I do know a few players who swear by Jim's personal work (and some who are willing to pay for his original handmade instruments). It is definitely to your advantage that Jim is no longer making his guitars. Jim originally built his guitars on his own, then Ed built them for a bit, now a man named David Weiler is building them (very nice guy who has high expectations for the new instruments coming out).

Unfortunately there are definitely no guarantees - it really depends on how good a deal you get. If you don't mind me asking, how much are you able to pick this one up for and do you have any pictures? In a way, the relationship with Ed sort of stains his name (Jim's) a bit to some who simply cannot be associated with Mr Roman. On the other hand, some just care about the quality of the instrument and fairly matching it up with an appropriate price.

Can you consider it a collectible? Probably not. Will it keep it's value? Only time will tell (but I would like to think it would).

You can check Jim's eBay page out as well to "monitor" things. http://stores.ebay.com/The-Private-Vault_W0QQstorecachemissZtheprivatevaultQQtZkm
    He is selling off most of the stock he has with this page.

Hope this helped you out a bit and good luck!

5. 1955Junior

Sam,
    Thanks for the thoughtful and informative response. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the guitar. The person selling it wants $1,200 - with no case. I'm not as concerned about collectibility as I am about marketability. Like many who hang out on TGP, I have frequent GAS attacks - runs in spurts though. I just want to be sure that I could sell it if there came a time.
    Again, thanks for taking time to provide your valuable opinion.
    Regards,
    Paul

6. 6thstringmusic

6thstringmusic Member

Hey Paul- no problem at all, that's what the gear page is all about! In my opinion you will not have any trouble reselling an original (handmade by Jim) Jaros guitar for $1200 or even a bit more. I was actually expecting it to be much higher in price. Ed wants around $2400 for the last one available that he made ("blowout" pricing by the way). I honestly think that is a steal and especially if the guitar plays, sounds, and feels just the way you want it to!

Good Luck Again!

7. 1955Junior

Sam,

Great Web site you have there. I really enjoyed the clips of the
    Skrydstrup Overdrive 50 - wonderful sounding amp!

My son lives in Astroia, Queens. I'll be sure to try and stop and see you my trip to NYC.

Best regards,

Paul

8. 1955Junior

Thanks Sam - I think I am going to buy the guitar.

Regards,

Paul

9. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Yeah,

$1200.00 sound like a great price for a Jaros.!!!!!

10. BadMrScary

BadMrScary Member

I have 2 Jaros originals, #19 and 107. 107 was a NAMM guitar.:omg

11. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

LOL this is a thread from 2006!!

12. BadMrScary

BadMrScary Member

13. GearFlipper

GearFlipper Senior Member

Maybe you should start a new thread about your guitars with photos.

No sense attaching it to a 6 year old thread