• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

jason and the scorchers

sixty2strat

I saw them open for Dylan 87-89 IRRC they were great, and they building a name .....then I never heard of them again. They just sort of slipped from my mind as well

DC1

Love that band.

saw them live a couple times. Great fun was had by all.

dc

Cedar

I had Lost and Found on cassette when I was in HS circa 1986.

Another band who could just never write truly memorable songs that clicked with people.

When I listen now I hear more attitude than good songs.

And that appeals to certain people, but songs are where a band lives and dies and they didn't have them.

RGB

Silver Supporting Member
what happened with the band, members?

Last edited:

iggy23

warren???

Maggot

Silver Supporting Member
I saw the Scorchers in the 80s. Great show. I saw Jason Ringenberg in the mid-oughts, when my daughter was little, playing as "Farmer Jason" at a very small kids show. Also good show, for what it was.

Maggot

Silver Supporting Member

Another band who could just never write truly memorable songs that clicked with people.

And that appeals to certain people, but songs are where a band lives and dies and they didn't have them.
Interesting you should say that, because I haven't thought about Jason and the Scorchers in years, and as soon as I saw this thread I started singing songs to myself, including the hooky guitar solos. I think that they may have been a little ahead of their time in that punk-influenced sounds that sound perfectly normal now sounded more abrasive to people at the time. But it's slightly incomprehensible to me that they never had a hit, especially since I'm not that interested in cowpunk as a genre but every once in a while, even at this late age, I'll be singing to myself, "Buy myself a POPsicle take her to the discO!"

I think it's more that they fell into some kinda radio-programming void at a time when that still mattered.

what happened with the band, members?
Jason also makes great children's music, with some cool collaborators. My 5 year old & 1 year old boys love his stuff.

Bob Maximus

Gold Supporting Member
The Bluefields; Warner, Dan, and two more (sorry for not looking up the names. on my phone) are outstanding. I see an occasional post that they are working on new stuff.

Walter Boots

Everyone has their own opinion,mine is they had dozens of memorable songs,which is why 36 years later I'm still listening to them.

Maggot

Silver Supporting Member
Everyone has their own opinion,mine is they had dozens of memorable songs,which is why 36 years later I'm still listening to them.
I think it's easy to forget how homogenized most hit records sounded in the 80's, and how a lot of rock and country radio really didn't have room for stuff that was different. The guitars may even have been too butt-rock for the punkers.

Ajax77799

Silver Supporting Member
I was lucky enough to see them open for the Pretenders (original lineup with JHS and Pete Farndon) in Philly 1981- never heard of them prior but they intrigued the hell out of me after seeing them, they were a real eclectic mix of styles with tons of attitude and killer guitar playing- White Lies was a great song (among others!)