Jason Isbell as lead guitarist?

Endr_rpm

He's a good lead player, but IMO, that's the weakest facet of his talent. I get that some guys focus ONLY on the playing, or ONLY on the solo within the playing, but that's a pretty limited way of looking at a song, IMO.

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
Like what you like and don't care what others think?

BedroomRockStar01

Silver Supporting Member
Yea, that's Mr. Isbell. There's some clips of him and JTE doing "Can't Hardly Wait" (The Replacements) floating around Youtube as well. They've played together quite a bit.

Not sure why anyone would care whether you liked his playing or not though. I like it, but his songwriting and voice outshine his playing by miles.

hubberjub

I got slammed on a previous thread for stating that, while I didn't really care for Jason Isbell as a singer, I DID like his lead guitar work. Isn't this Jason Isbell on guitar in this clip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LLqFF89UtU

Why is it wrong if I like it?
He is a good lead player. Nobody questioned that. You didn't get "slammed" for not liking him as a singer. You went into a thread started by people who like his songwriting and singing and started trolling. There are a ton of threads on musicians that I don't care for that get started every day on TGP. I don't see any reason to go in them and start explaining why I don't like that particular musician.

jayn

He's the full meal deal. He is an excellent guitarist, particularly on acoustic (hence the Martin endorsement).

2HBStrat

He is a good lead player. Nobody questioned that. You didn't get "slammed" for not liking him as a singer. You went into a thread started by people who like his songwriting and singing and started trolling. There are a ton of threads on musicians that I don't care for that get started every day on TGP. I don't see any reason to go in them and start explaining why I don't like that particular musician.
I didn't troll. I pointed out what I DID like about him. People do stuff like that on TGP threads in nearly every thread.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
I think he's a great player, very expressive, and he can switch between regular lead and slide very well. I think ten years ago it was his strength, honestly. Then he got better at writing, and that carried him into his solo career. He's also worked hard on his voice. His singing now is way better than it used to be. I think playing lead guitar has taken a back seat while he's been supporting Southeastern, but I hope he'll return to playing more electric for a future project.

Endr_rpm

I think playing lead guitar has taken a back seat while he's been supporting Southeastern, but I hope he'll return to playing more electric for a future project.
possibly, but that is one AMAZING singer/songwriter album.

hubberjub

I think he's a great player, very expressive, and he can switch between regular lead and slide very well. I think ten years ago it was his strength, honestly. Then he got better at writing, and that carried him into his solo career. He's also worked hard on his voice. His singing now is way better than it used to be. I think playing lead guitar has taken a back seat while he's been supporting Southeastern, but I hope he'll return to playing more electric for a future project.
It's nice to have a guy like Sadler to lean on. Also a tasty player.

jackxiv

His work playing for the Truckers was great. Honestly, I think if Isabell gets underrated anywhere, it is in his ability to write a song. He and Patterson Hood write better songs than anyone else in country music today.

I have seen him live twice, and I remember thinking to myself that he was a pretty decent guitar player.

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
I think he's a very good guitar player but his talent in that regard is dwarfed by his songwriting talent. He says a lot with fewer notes and those notes are very tasty.

Carmour

Im a big fan of his singing and songwriting but yeah I definitely dig his tone and style. Thanks for the clip.

jeff_lebowski

I loved his attitude when I heard him on Maron. Haven't gotten around to listening to him yet. Thx for the reminder!

bagpipe

Just watched him on ACL: great songwriter and singer as others have mentioned. I felt bad for the other guy playing the SG: didn't get one solo in the whole show (or maybe he did and it didnt make the final edit). I thought Isbell was an "okay" lead player.

Yea, that's Mr. Isbell. There's some clips of him and JTE doing "Can't Hardly Wait" (The Replacements) floating around Youtube as well. They've played together quite a bit.

Not sure why anyone would care whether you liked his playing or not though. I like it, but his songwriting and voice outshine his playing by miles.
Disagree 100%.. He is an amazing guitar player, as well as singer and songwriter.... Downplaying his lead skills is pretty short sided and make me wonder how much of his body of work you have listened to...

hubberjub

Just watched him on ACL: great songwriter and singer as others have mentioned. I felt bad for the other guy playing the SG: didn't get one solo in the whole show (or maybe he did and it didnt make the final edit). I thought Isbell was an "okay" lead player.
It's been a while since I've watched the ACL show, but when I see them live, Saddler takes most solos.

Trending Topics