• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Jawbox

urizen

Gold Supporting Member
What ever happened to these guys? I came across their CDs in my library and it reminded me how much I liked them....then I realized my collection was incomplete (I was missing their final/most recent disc, so it's onto Amazon I go). Any other fans in here/out there?

urizen

Gold Supporting Member
Oh yeah, there's also a pretty interesting CD of covers by other bands:

& cetera is worth it-----Burning Airines is also worth looking up (Jawbox alumni)...

Last edited:

NashSG

J. Robbins has become a pretty renown recording engineer. He's pretty much been doing that since those days.

I saw an awesome all ages show back in the 90s with Jawbox and the Chicago band Tar. Saw Tar a second time opening up for Shellac.

This era of indie/punk rock was my jam and the stuff I got eyewitness view myself.

Truth is that alot of these bands were good college kids that moved on to real jobs after their band hit the end of the contract. For most bands, it really wasn't ALL that much different than now as no one got rich doing it but there was more people into it and you probably could get into bigger shows. That's gone now, some places excepted - answering the 'whatever happened to' angle. They were rich kids, they had other stuff they could do.

I find that kind of interesting, as I have more than a couple of times have run into in say other media someone and it was someone that was in a band back in the 90s doing this totally different thing. One like that was I saw PW Long from the Michigan band Mule was working in journalism for Vice and Rolling Stone.

Heck, I saw Fred Armisten play drums once in Trenchmouth. That band was in the Chicago indie/punk rock scene in those same days.

Zounds Perspex

Gold Supporting Member
Jawbox were great. I wish I'd been able to see them on their reunion tour in 2019 - the clips I've seen look like they still have it.

In addition to all his production work, J has also had several bands since Jawbox, most notably probably Burning Airlines.

my favorite Dischord band of all time is still probably Lungfish, but they...are not for everyone.

NashSG

That original Laughing Hyena's rhythm section was a bad mama jama. I saw both the Hyenas a couple times and Mule a couple times. Saw Jim Kimball play once in Jesus Lizard too, but that was the lesser show than the couple times I saw them with Mac.

urizen

Gold Supporting Member
J. Robbins has become a pretty renown recording engineer. He's pretty much been doing that since those days.

I saw an awesome all ages show back in the 90s with Jawbox and the Chicago band Tar. Saw Tar a second time opening up for Shellac.

This era of indie/punk rock was my jam and the stuff I got eyewitness view myself.

Truth is that alot of these bands were good college kids that moved on to real jobs after their band hit the end of the contract. For most bands, it really wasn't ALL that much different than now as no one got rich doing it but there was more people into it and you probably could get into bigger shows. That's gone now, some places excepted - answering the 'whatever happened to' angle. They were rich kids, they had other stuff they could do.

I find that kind of interesting, as I have more than a couple of times have run into in say other media someone and it was someone that was in a band back in the 90s doing this totally different thing. One like that was I saw PW Long from the Michigan band Mule was working in journalism for Vice and Rolling Stone.

Heck, I saw Fred Armisten play drums once in Trenchmouth. That band was in the Chicago indie/punk rock scene in those same days.
I believe Jawbox's first performance for an audience was as a double bill with Fugazi----would've liked to have seen that!

mapleneck72

I grew up in MD and got to see them many times in DC.
The best bill that I saw was Jawbox and GVSB at the Black Cat.
I'm sad that I missed their show in SF last year because there wasn't a way to get there in time after picking my kids up from away camp.
I didn't know that Kim and Bill had divorced but glad that they could put the band back together for the tour.
Without Kim's label, we wouldn't have two excellent albums from Juno.

Trending Topics