• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Jay Graydon!

SnidelyWhiplash

Silver Supporting Member
I was listening to (don't laugh) Christopher Cross' debut album & was
just amazed by Mr. Graydon's solos. He also played the solo on Steely
Dan's " Peg ". Does anyone have info on this fabulous player & maybe
his setup?

james russell

Gold Supporting Member
I was listening to (don't laugh) Christopher Cross' debut album & was
just amazed by Mr. Graydon's solos. He also played the solo on Steely
Dan's " Peg ". Does anyone have info on this fabulous player & maybe
his setup?
Don't know much about his set-up, but have really dug his work. He's done great guitar playing and production with Al Jarreau, and I loved his work with the eighties band called Pages. I've seen photos of him playing semi-hollow 335 style axes, and I think he was behind the Rivera amps called the Jake, and the Rake. Great player. I'm sure some folks around here who were in L.A. in the eighties know a bunch more about him.

James

DANOCASTER

Silver Supporting Member
Jay Graydon is great

listen to Al Jarreau's High Crime record. Great ( 80's ) production and fantastic guitar work

Mike

didnt Eric Johnson play some solo on Christopher Cross' debut ?
Solo on "Minstral Gigilo". I was aware of Eric prior to that because a friend of mine knew him and turned me on to the Electromagnets album.

Mike

Mike

Check out his solo on Steve Kipners 'The Ending'. You'll drop jaw for sure.

You tube it.

Mike
Wow, I missed that one along the way, Yikes!

:bow

Thanks Mike!

Mike

P.S. - It just occurred to me - this solo sounds EXACTLY like solos Lyle Workman was taking in 1982 - 1984 time frame. Uncanny similarities in tone, feel, chops, everything.

Last edited:

SnidelyWhiplash

Silver Supporting Member
Christopher Cross (according to the liner notes) played the solo on
" Ride Like The Wind ". He sounds pretty good to me.

Fuchsaudio

A recent Japanese guitar magazine lists Deluxe Reverb, Boogie, MK-1, Rivera Rake, Bogner Ecstasy, A Fuchs TDS-100, amongst his amp collection.

Jay's favorite guitar of late is a Gibson "The Paul" (which I also have one of), which is a weird walnut Les Paul style with T top humbuckers that actually plays pretty good.

AndyZ

I used to hang quite a bit with Jay in the early 80's. The rig I saw him use more than any other was his 335 with a Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer into a Rivera modded blackface Fender Deluxe. I beleive Paul called it his Stage II mod, which is what I think he introduced into the amps under him at Fender. Paul used to be the amp tech at Valley Arts Guitar before going to Fender and then starting Rivera. I may have some pics hid away from those days with pics of them a sessions. If I can dig em up I'll post them. I also have some pics of Larry Carlton and Robben Ford from those same days.

Another amazing album of that era was a short lived band called Airplay that Jay did with David Foster as a band project. Has Jeff Porcaro and Mike Baird on drums. Lukather also on guitar. David Hungate on Bass, Foster and Michael Omartian on keys. I say there and watched about 1/2 the album being recorded. Those were lessons learned that I still use today. Don't know if it ever made it past being an LP. There are some YouTube recordings of it floating around.

Victor R

Formerly wstsidela
Platinum Supporting Member
Jay was my man back in the day. I wore out my copy of Airplay in High School.

Fuchsaudio

Jay's stuff is great. I have Airplay for the Planet, with Bill Champlin and some of the tunes really hold up. The original version of "After the love is gone" is better than the Earth, Wind and Fire version. IMHO. While the production is a little dated by today's standards, the musicianship shows through.

Jay has plenty of music available for download and CD's for sale on his site.

guitrr

Reverb Junkie
"Say You'll Be Mine" was a great solo. He also did the solo on Manhattan Transfer's "Twilight Tone". Really good.
To this day, Twilight Zone is my favorite guitar solo of all time. About ten years ago, I was reading an interview with one of the production people on that album, and I was crushed to read that the solo is actually about 4 different takes, patched together. But it's still my fave guitar solo!

I do recall from that era (mid-late 70's) that his guitar of choice was a 335, as it was for most of the studio heavies from the L.A. studio scene of that time.

Kane

guitarist58

Man...speaking of Airplay...

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L8rRMipzMg&feature=related

What a lineup...Lee Sklar/Chester Thompson/Jay/Dave Foster/SeaWind Horn section...

A bit 80's sounding...but the caliber of musicianship is off the hook.

:cool:

S>
j
I was going to post that video but had to finish getting breakfast for Mom :D

Absolutely LOVE Jay Graydon's work!! The Manhattan Transfer album Extensions (produced by Jay) that includes Twilight Zone was one of my favorites. I was majoring in music around '77 to '79 and some of the jazzy contemporary stuff coming out in those days was among my favorite music ever. Speaking of SeaWind, I got to see them and Larry Carlton and Al Jarreau at the Queen Mary Jazz Festival around that time (Kim Hutchcroft actually plays sometimes at a local church here in Redlands, CA).

I wanted to be Jay Graydon when I grew up!! :p

Trending Topics