Jay Graydon!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by SnidelyWhiplash, Feb 22, 2009.

1. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

I was listening to (don't laugh) Christopher Cross' debut album & was
    just amazed by Mr. Graydon's solos. He also played the solo on Steely
    Dan's " Peg ". Does anyone have info on this fabulous player & maybe
    his setup?

2. james russell

james russell Silver Supporting Member

Don't know much about his set-up, but have really dug his work. He's done great guitar playing and production with Al Jarreau, and I loved his work with the eighties band called Pages. I've seen photos of him playing semi-hollow 335 style axes, and I think he was behind the Rivera amps called the Jake, and the Rake. Great player. I'm sure some folks around here who were in L.A. in the eighties know a bunch more about him.

James

3. Robertito

Robertito Member

4. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Silver Supporting Member

Jay Graydon is great

listen to Al Jarreau's High Crime record. Great ( 80's ) production and fantastic guitar work

5. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

And I think he arranged that whole thing too. I love MT and that's a very cool cut.

6. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Silver Supporting Member

didnt Eric Johnson play some solo on Christopher Cross' debut ?

7. lhallam

lhallam Member

Twighlight Tone kicks butt. That whole release does.

Gotta love Jay.

8. Mike

Mike Member

Solo on "Minstral Gigilo". I was aware of Eric prior to that because a friend of mine knew him and turned me on to the Electromagnets album.

Mike

9. mike walker

mike walker Member

Check out his solo on Steve Kipners 'The Ending'. You'll drop jaw for sure.

You tube it.

Mike

10. Mike

Mike Member

Wow, I missed that one along the way, Yikes!

:bow

Thanks Mike!

Mike

P.S. - It just occurred to me - this solo sounds EXACTLY like solos Lyle Workman was taking in 1982 - 1984 time frame. Uncanny similarities in tone, feel, chops, everything.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  11. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

Christopher Cross (according to the liner notes) played the solo on
    " Ride Like The Wind ". He sounds pretty good to me.

12. humbuster

humbuster Senior Member

He played with the Don Ellis Orchestra in the 70s so he must be a helluva guitar player.

13. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

A recent Japanese guitar magazine lists Deluxe Reverb, Boogie, MK-1, Rivera Rake, Bogner Ecstasy, A Fuchs TDS-100, amongst his amp collection.

Jay's favorite guitar of late is a Gibson "The Paul" (which I also have one of), which is a weird walnut Les Paul style with T top humbuckers that actually plays pretty good.

14. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

I used to hang quite a bit with Jay in the early 80's. The rig I saw him use more than any other was his 335 with a Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer into a Rivera modded blackface Fender Deluxe. I beleive Paul called it his Stage II mod, which is what I think he introduced into the amps under him at Fender. Paul used to be the amp tech at Valley Arts Guitar before going to Fender and then starting Rivera. I may have some pics hid away from those days with pics of them a sessions. If I can dig em up I'll post them. I also have some pics of Larry Carlton and Robben Ford from those same days.

Another amazing album of that era was a short lived band called Airplay that Jay did with David Foster as a band project. Has Jeff Porcaro and Mike Baird on drums. Lukather also on guitar. David Hungate on Bass, Foster and Michael Omartian on keys. I say there and watched about 1/2 the album being recorded. Those were lessons learned that I still use today. Don't know if it ever made it past being an LP. There are some YouTube recordings of it floating around.

15. wstsidela

wstsidela I'm bonafied Gold Supporting Member

Jay was my man back in the day. I wore out my copy of Airplay in High School.

16. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Jay's stuff is great. I have Airplay for the Planet, with Bill Champlin and some of the tunes really hold up. The original version of "After the love is gone" is better than the Earth, Wind and Fire version. IMHO. While the production is a little dated by today's standards, the musicianship shows through.

Jay has plenty of music available for download and CD's for sale on his site.

17. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

18. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

19. guitrr

guitrr Reverb Junkie Silver Supporting Member

To this day, Twilight Zone is my favorite guitar solo of all time. About ten years ago, I was reading an interview with one of the production people on that album, and I was crushed to read that the solo is actually about 4 different takes, patched together. But it's still my fave guitar solo!

I do recall from that era (mid-late 70's) that his guitar of choice was a 335, as it was for most of the studio heavies from the L.A. studio scene of that time.

Kane

20. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

I was going to post that video but had to finish getting breakfast for Mom :D

Absolutely LOVE Jay Graydon's work!! The Manhattan Transfer album Extensions (produced by Jay) that includes Twilight Zone was one of my favorites. I was majoring in music around '77 to '79 and some of the jazzy contemporary stuff coming out in those days was among my favorite music ever. Speaking of SeaWind, I got to see them and Larry Carlton and Al Jarreau at the Queen Mary Jazz Festival around that time (Kim Hutchcroft actually plays sometimes at a local church here in Redlands, CA).

I wanted to be Jay Graydon when I grew up!! :p