Jay Turser guitars.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Randell scott, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Randell scott

Randell scott Member

What do you guys personaly think of them I have a Jay Turser Colonel. Free to me. Laying on my bed last September. The person that give it to me wishes to remain anonymous.:dude Besides it being a copy of a 1950's guitar it is great. It has 2 flwas but nothing is perfect. I got told on another web sit they should not exist. They are the king of the knock off guitars with crapy parts. And other people say that as well. Hate guitars from China.:cry:

A guy on YouTube said he would never buy one because of bad frets and was telling people to never buy their guitars. And talking about the poor customer service he got from the company. Are they that bad? My free guitar was very expensive back in 2003. It is the best quality guitar besides my Yamaha Picifica. I have loved mine from day one. Do they use crapy parts? And I do know they makes copy of other brands. Is that bad?

A lot of people said nice Mosrite copy. I showed the picture when I was going to get it for Christmas. Untill I found the DBZ guitar. When they found out it was a Jay Turser they said oh no. I would not touch a Jay Turser. A guitar from China. No thanks.:cry:

Why are people afraid of that brand. A guy at a guitar club said he owend a Jay Turser SG style and it blew the Epiphone verson away. Why don't people like Jay Turser?

2. gag halfrunt

gag halfrunt A fellow of infinite jest Supporting Member

I've only played a few of them, but they all had terribly rough frets (ie cut your fingers on them), poor fit and finish overall, poorly cut nuts, terrible pickups, and they would not stay in tune.

3. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

I have an LP copy Turser that I love. The frets and nut are just fine, it stays in tune great. I played it stock for a few years, but eventually swapped a GFS Fat Pat into the bridge position and routed out the neck position for an Epi P90. Now it's a total tone machine, great for rock stuff. The finish on it is a pretty good burst, definitely NOT a clownburst. Originally I got it to be a live-use beater to replace my Gibby LP Special. $250 I don't regret spending at all.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Back in the 90's, when cheap Chinese made guitars were first arriving here in quantity, they were pretty bad. They were also often overpriced by local music stores. For example, you would see them selling poor quality Strat-oids for $350 or so. That gave them a bad reputation.

I do think they've improved somewhat over the years, particularly some of the more pricey models, like the Mosrite copy you mentioned. However, they still sell some low end Strat-oids that don't help the brand name.

Another factor is that the low end game is much more competitive now than it was 15-20 years ago. It used to be that you would only find Squier and Epiphone in that niche. Now, in addition to house brands by big online sellers, there's also Rondo, GFS, Eastwood and a number of other strong sellers in that niche. I get the impression that they haven't kept up.

5. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Tursers are very nice, I have several.

My favorites are the older Strat copies they made that weigh about
    4 lbs each. I buy every one of those I can find.

6. dazco

dazco Member

Never had one but picked up quite a few at a shop that used to carry them when they first showed up. Some seemed pretty decent, some seemed like junk. TBH i don't think any of them could compete at all with todays china offerings from fender/squier and many others. I have a chinese acoustic, a recording king thats one of the best sounding and most dynamic acoustic i've owned. My last acoustic before it was $3k MSRP, and the recoding king blows it away as far as dynamics and tonally they are both good but the king can easily hang.

But tursers weren't very good back then and unless they've improved a lot they'd go out of business with the chinese competition today ?

7. onemoretime

onemoretime Member

I've owned a few over the years, a JTLT Custom (Tele style), a JT-137 (335 Style), and a few others. All were just great guitars. The two I regret selling were the JTLT and the JT-137.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Link Ramone

Link Ramone Member

I had a Jay Turser Tele that cost me all of a whopping $75 some years back. I have to say it wasn't bad at all. Sounded good, played well, no issues. Now the friend I got it from was a compulsive guitar tinkerer, so I can't say how it was from the factory, but it was definitely a solid "for the money" guitar. Still in the family actually. The kiddies use it quite a bit.

9. oldlefty

oldlefty Member

My Turser lefty 335 knockoff is the best value guitar I own. I upgraded tuners, one pickup , electronics and it's a very nice guitar to play. No Turser hate here!

10. Mark Paterson

Mark Paterson Member

Here's my JT Paisley w/GFS "Hot Lead" Lil Punchers...It's a gnarly beast :)

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

11. BigSB

BigSB Member

When I've been in need of a good workhorse guitar and I've had some to try in person, I've almost always gone with Turser 335-style guitars. Never had one let me down yet.

12. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Played a JT tele yesterday. Plenty fine for the $300ish they were asking for it.

13. karma1

karma1 Member

A few years ago I bought a used Jay Turser Les Paul gold-top copy for $80 to use as a back-up/beater guitar. But after playing it for a while, I was surprised at how much I liked the feel of it, although it feels absolutely nothing like my Gibson Les Paul. But I decided to upgrade it with some parts I had laying around including: Gibson 500T/bridge, Duncan Jazz/neck with series-parallel switching, new pots and wiring, and Sperzel locking tuners. I also used it to experiment with those neck inlay decals I'd seen advertised (which are actually pretty good). Now it sounds great and I play it way more than I ever expected to. It was quite decent in stock condition, for what it is, but after the upgrades I really like it a lot. I have no complaints about Jay Turser guitars. They have some great looking models and they are a good deal for a budget guitar.

[​IMG]

14. XKnight

XKnight Member

If you love the guitar and enjoy playing it then that's really all that matters. Don't worry about what everyone else thinks. Personally, I wouldn't buy one, but why would that bother you or have any bearing on your enjoyment of your guitar.

15. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

I bought a turser tele about 5 years back. The day it arrived, I took it with me to the club (with a backup) and ended-up playing all three sets on that guitar, straight outta the box.

Some of their guitars are just really good instruments. The value puts 'em over the top.

And if that guitar was given to you, and you like the way it plays and feels, then YouTube critics shouldn't matter.

16. Randell scott

Randell scott Member

I just wanted to know why people take a dump on Jay Turser. I got told nice guitar. Then when I say it is a Jay Turser they say oh no. Horrible guitar. Crapy parts. The list gose on and on. So I thought I would ask. I think they do not like guitars from China.

17. Randell scott

Randell scott Member

Some guitar players will say bought a Les Paul Jay Turser style. Or the SG style.Some other guitar players will say junk do not buy them. Sell it. On and on.I love mine. It is built verry well. And the vibroto makes it go out of tune realy fast. And no wood in the center of the guitar. Through a big ampilifer it rings. But played through small ampilifer it is fine.

All older style guitars do that. And That is not a big deal to me. I love mine. But most will like what ever guitar they see of that brand untill they find out it is a Turser. Then run like they are running from a house on fire. Why I do not know?

18. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Member

isn't the jay turser brand owned by the company that owns washburn?

19. dezb1

dezb1 Member

Guitarists are snobs (me included I harbour unfounded dislikes for certain brands), if you like it and it plays well / sounds good then it's a good guitar.

20. seratone

seratone Member

I bought a Jay Turser 5 string Musicman Bass copy 10 years ago in another life when I was playing bass. I wanted to get used to 5 strings before investing in something more substantial. I already had a Musicman Stingray. The pickups were terrible - really nasal and 'snocky' and not much way to control that, but the build quality was amazing for a $250 bass. I eventually de-fretted it before moving it on.

For the guitars - I've heard some of them tend to have soft frets that need to be replaced - likely for the purchase vale of the guitar.

I noticed the band 'The Augustines' use a red Jay Turser ES-335 for an entire live show a the Haldern Pop Festival (germany)....see it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=504aewt3l4g