Jay Turser JT-133 (ES-335 copy)...neck question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jezmund, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Jezmund

Jezmund Member

Against my better judgement I took a gamble and bought a Jay Turser JT-133 from a seller with a great feedback rating on eBay. It feels pretty good, looks sweet (darker than in picture) and I like tone for what I'll be using it for, which is around the house and as an alternative to the tele I generally play.

The only potential problem I can see is the way the nut is set in the neck. On the high E side the wood is actually carved deeper so the nut sits further in. It seems instead of filing the nut it was decided to cut into the neck- which seems crazy to me.

The notch is about 1/32" to 1/16" deep and at an angle down towards the body. Hopefully the pictures show up.

Will this affect the stability of the neck? Is this something that should be addressed as a warranty against defects issue. Or is this just what you live with when you buy a ES-335 copy from China for $220 shipped to your door?

[​IMG]

Here's a link in case they don't show up:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/2tubas/JayTurser
    [​IMG]

2. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I have owned a few Jay Turser's. NONE of them were playable without a trip to the luthier for a new nut. The rest of the guitars were ok, some were pretty good, but its as if they have the "building" something that looks like a guitar down pat. "Setting up" a guitar to play well.... not so much.

I would get a good nut on there, it will make the guitar play much better. If you like the rest of the guitar I would keep it..... the next one might have worse problems than the nut.

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I just bought a Jay Turser Custom Tele Deluxe for $220 shipped to my door and I'm pleasantly surprised at how it looks and plays out of the box. I'm a hacker, so I've been taking it apart and tweaking it and I am well prepared to spend upgrade cash. I think it's at a really nice starting point for a partscaster - I could never book match, laminate, bind and finish a body like this one on my own. The electronics aren't great but about $75 worth of GFS pups have fixed that.
    The nut on mine looks really cheesy, plastic, but works and doesn't stick or anything. The neck on mine also has a VERY heavy plastic like gloss on it. I will be replacing the entire neck (might keep the tuners and trees). I suspect this thing will actually end up a really nice guitar with a new neck/nut and the installed pups.

4. Jezmund

Jezmund Member

It's not the plastic nut I'm concerned with, but the neck. Since there is wood carved out of the neck where it angles back I'm wondering if it is less stable and will not play in tune even if it's set-up and the tuners and nut are replaced.

5. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

If you are going to get the nut replaced, can't they even out the groove at the same time so it's completely level? I don't know, I've never replaced one (and might never will - best left up to a pro for that) but if they are in there, they might as well fix it.

6. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

A Good setup guy can shim or shave the nut area needed. I wouldn't let that bother you. I've had nuts replaced on many guitars and have always been much happier afterwords.

7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I suspect the nut slot was simply routed at an angle and to compensate the nut was tapered to match. It is still butted up to the end of the neck so nothing will move. Just play it and reslot the nut as needed.

Dropping it on the headstock is never a good idea;)

8. Jezmund

Jezmund Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll bring it to a tech and have him look it over and install a nut if needed. Hopefully the neck itself is fine because it's enjoyable to play.