Jay Turser

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cjb5790, Mar 19, 2006.

1. cjb5790

cjb5790 Member

These look like great guitars, and are cheap! Is the price a reflection of their quality?

2. cSuttle

cSuttle Member

Yeah!!! and then some. I've played about six of these over the years. Well, maybe played isn't the right term. I picked them up, look at how badly they were made, struggled my way through playing a few chords on the lead pipes they call strings, concidered myself lucky that I didn't cut myself on the awful frets, put it down and went to wash the yuke off my hands.

Not a hugh fan of low end guitar, but JT really give low end guitar a bad name. Don't waste your money.

3. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

I have found them hit or miss. I have bought a couple of them and still have one (Hofner Beatle Bass copy) that I like.
    This is one of those brands that you really have to try it out before you even think about buying it.

4. getbent

getbent Member

I have a Jay Turser (it is a 335 copy) blond and very good. 168.00.... I bought some pickups from Guitar Heaven and a new wiring kit from Stew Mac and some news strings... it is a wonderful guitar! I play it all the time and it looks great and plays great.... I'd be willing to bet the people who are slagging them haven't played them... I bought mine on ebay but since then I've seen them in some really good stores all over the bay area... so, whatever... for the price they are great guitars.. check the dealers on ebay, look at their feedback...if they were as uneven in quality, you wouldn't see the high scores....

5. dallas

dallas Member

They are very light. Some are better than others. The electronics are junk, but do a great job on the finishes. I wouldn't own one, but if you are on a tight budget...

6. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

Try them out. I would not buy one now, but I am an old fart who can afford nice, brand name guitars. If I was starting out, though, I would definitely consider them. Depending on what I was looking for - I would be comparing them with MIM Fenders and the Korean and Chinese Jackson-Ibanez-ESP-ETC.

I saw a bunch of JT hollow body ES-295 knockoffs in a local store that looked pretty cool - like 50s show-off stage guitars - you know - sparkle finish - mother of toilet seat pickguards - with P90 knockoffs and bigsby style trems (a version of the Colonel Model, I believe). So, for a performer who wants some glittery cheddar - you can't beat the prices on the JTs! They seem to have a niche with this style of showy-garish plywood archtops - and I have not seen anything like this offered by others. How abouta SHARK??

[​IMG]

I think the quality and low prices of the current imports is definitely gonna have reverberations on American builders - especially for beginner/entry level instruments. Not good if you work in a American guitar factory - but great if you are taking up the guitar and on a tight budget. If the neck is not warped and the scale is correct, then it can be set up and will play fine. You can always upgrade pickups. You would not believe the junk I had to start out on in the 60s - budget meant crap then.

So I say go for it daddy-o. :AOK

7. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I've got a "Cleopatra" model, which is an original variation on a ES335, with a pseudo-Bixby trem. Its a good guitar, but not fantastic. It looks fantastic! Definitely factor in the cost of pickup and electronics upgrades before buying. Even with this fudge factor, it is very good for the cost. But I always have to add that for the cost disclaimer.

- T

8. cjb5790

cjb5790 Member

The reason I ask is, there is a JT143 on eBay that I love! Single min-'bucker...full hollow body. A True Jazz Box...only one volume knob, just the kind of simplicity I like...

My ultimate gitar, the one I'll own when I can and be able to live happily forever is a PRS CU24...I want an American Deluxe Tele...and a decent strat too...right now I play through a 15W SS Crate and I play with a low-end Epi LP...I'm looking to upgrade...I'm going to buy the amp that;ll get me through for years-- the Traynor YCV40WR...and I just want to be able to atleast obtain great sounding guitars...decent ones...real ones. Know where I'm coming from?

9. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I think I'd recommend saving up for what you really want, if you can muster the patience (big IF, I know). That way, you'll get what you want sooner, without diverting your energy/money into something that is just a stepping stone. Believe me, I know how hard it is to wait, but as time goes on, my personal philosophy has developed: make it real, or not at all. Just one opinion...

- T

10. BigDoug1053

If you like the jazz style boxes, you should give the Ibanez Artcores a look. Search this forum - there have been several threads lately. Well made and cool instruments.

Also - if possible, buy from a local independent shop, rather than sight unseen on the internet. You get to actually check the guitar out and see if it speaks to you, and independent shops can often meet deals found on the internet.

:)

11. cjb5790

cjb5790 Member

Oh,belive me, I plan on going out and checking these out, I just want to know where to look...plus, if I can get that Jay Turser JT-143 for $100 on eBay...why not if it's pretty decent?!

12. BigDoug1053

Why not, indeed! :hiP

13. Spudboy

Spudboy Member

The Tursers seem to be getting better as time goes by. Unfortunately their web page hasn't been updated in about three years so all the stuff that they have there has been superceded. They make a damn nice Strat copy, though, and they give them away. The fretwork is usually pretty good, but try before you buy. They also have a respectable Flying V and their SG Standard comes a lot closer to capturing the true SG vibe than the Epiphone G-400 does... for one thing, it hefts like a real SG does whereas the G-400 is noticeably overweight... again, all at bargain prices. Good beginner guitars, also good for someone with a limited budget. Throw a pair of classic '57 pickups into one of those SG's and you have a guitar for under $600 CDN that Peter Townshend couldn't tell from a real one.

14. mindwave

mindwave Member

i own 4 JT's and their sister guitar a Sanatoga.

personally if you are into modding your guitars or are looking for a nice starter they are GREAT.

they are primarily being imported by music land central, and I have seen them in small mom and pop stores, my local sam ash has them as well.

when you buy them yuo do have to take the cost in mind. when i went tele hunting i compared side by side for several hours an MIM fender tele and the JT tele.

personally they were 100% spot on.

I spent 6 months playing every acoustic i could get my hands on and kept coming back to the JT SQCE, i love it hands down compared to everything BUT my buddy's taylor.

but at 1/6 the price, i'm ok w/ the taylor being a superior instrument.

there is another house brand AGILE from rondo music, that has in the past carried JT's as well.

when i was in the area looking for an LP copy i spent 4 hours playing every agile in the shop vs every jt he had. they were again, VERY comparable.

i think what JT offers is a nice consistent build with a WIDE variety of finishes. now if youre a traditionalist or every color is the same as long as its black. then maybe they arent for you.

but the guy who whined about the strings on a shop axe, obviously doesnt spend much time in guitar stores.

when was the last time you found a guitar in tune, much less not carrying crud encrusted strings.

but thats my 2 cts

j

15. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

I've got a store near me that carries them, I've tried a dozen or so, and every one of them was total crap. Lousy tone, bad fretwork, buzzy, just awful. Anyway, that's been my experience.

16. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

IS a frog`s ass watertight??

CT.

17. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I've been pretty happy with my 336 copy....and I've gigged it with no changes and no regrets. Pots and switch are cheap, but still are working fine for now-it's a $25 upgrade when they need replacement. Gold plating is thin and wears quickly. Pickups actually are a real good match for the guitar..they will stay in. Find the right one and they are a bargain IMHO.
    [​IMG]

18. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

But what I want to know..........Who was or is Jay Turser? Probably another fictional guitar brand name, like Ibanez, or Fernandes. Come to think of it is there a Michael Kelly?

19. dougb415

dougb415 Member

How about Greg Benett - is he real?

20. Grun

Grun Member

+1

Is it a fictitious 'Anglo sounding' front name or is J Turser a pioneering guiter entrepeneur with connections in China or ???