Jayhawks' tone - from pedal or amp? (youtube clip included)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by welcometoashley, Feb 19, 2009.

1. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wMhvK8aPck

i don't know much about the jayhawks, but from the songs i've heard, they've got a great ear for tone. anyway, i love the guitar tone in the opening chords of the song in the above clip.

looks like he's playing a HW anniversary Vox. anyway, anyone know if the fundamental tone is from the amp or a pedal? i think he uses a fuzzface into an FDII for effects. i've seen other clips from the ACL show and seems like he's getting a much cleaner tone for rhythm so it kind of leads me to believe he's getting the soft OD tone out of his fulldrive....

just curious.....

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  2. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Well, here's Gary's most common rig (and what he appears to be playing through):

1967 SG Standard -Humbuckers, Maestro bigsby http://www.jayhawksfanpage.com/Jayhawks%20Guitar%20Scrapbook.html (I've seen him play others, but that SG is his main player) ->

Silicon Fuzz Face -> Tubescreamer (also have seen pic of an early Fulldrive 2) -> Phase 90 ->

Matchless DC30

3. welcometoashley

so i wonder if the tone is the amp or a pedal? to get that tone he'd have to have his amp somewhat cranked. on the other hand, the tone sounds too "spongy" to be a pedal.....

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  4. funkycam

funkycam Member

my guess is amp.
    yoiu can see him stomp for the solo, which has got to be the fuzz

5. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

in other clips from the show you can see the fuzz face on the ground, not sure if that helps. I think I also spotted a phase 90 and a Tu-2 and some other pedal with what looks like 4 knobs and a wah. not sure if this helps, very cool tone.

6. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

When he steps on the fuzz, most likely the Tubescreamer/fulldrive is on... or he steps on both. The Silicon fuzz face is pretty bright and spitty, thin sounding. He uses the TS type OD to fatten up the sound in the solos.

7. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

It's gotta be a fulldrive 2. I can't watch the clip here at work, but I'd assume that it's a blue fulldrive 2.

8. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Yeah it looks blue.

9. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

I'm a huge Jayhawks fan and basically what led me to effects forums. I have seen The Jayhawks play a few times and have met and talked to Gary about gear. Actually, I even asked him about his Fuzz Face. He use a FD2 for overdrive and kicks in the Fuzz Face or a Univox grey Superfuzz for solos. I also use a Vox and you can basically get that tone with a tubescreamer type pedal set to lower gain. And obviously that SG.

10. philbarnes

philbarnes Member

I remember reading at one point he was using a 69 (which is a germ fuzz), was that not correct or did he change up? His tone, especially on the post Olson Jayhawks and the solo record is great.

11. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

He never used a '69. Always vintage Fuzz Face.

12. storm319

storm319 Member

I ran sound for Gary Louris last year and this is what he used:

SG with a bigsby, fuzzface, FDII, Phase 90, Boss TU-2, (I think there may have been another pedal or two that I cant recall) all into a beatup silverface Deluxe Reverb.

13. welcometoashley

nice - thanks!

14. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

I also saw his tour with Marc Olson a few years ago. He was using a Vibrolux Reverb (RI ) and an MXR Dyna Comp. And a tele.