Jazz Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TechpriesT, Sep 26, 2005.

1. TechpriesT

TechpriesT Member

Hey guys,
    I'm going to be joining a jazz group soon. So I wanted some advice on a good jazz amp. The sound im going for is kind of like a horn. Alot of midrange some nice smooth OD. Anyway. please help. I've been lookin at different amps for about a week now.

Keep in mind im going to be running an ESP les paul copy with WCR goodwood pups. Also, i need it to be a combo if possible, and as cheap as possible. Thanks in advance:)

2. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

3. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Peavey Transtube bandit (clean channel) and a zendrive.

That's all you'll need.

4. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

The guitar will have a big impact on what tones you're going after. Sounds like you have the pickups right though!! I hear those are mighty fine PAF's....??

5. rabbit

rabbit Member

I think we are talking about low to medium volume levels, right? What about a small Fender amp like the (small) Hot Rod series amps? They are good and cheap as well. Or look for a nice used Polytone...

6. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

What type of Jazz are you going to be playing? Most of my Jazz (pre-war Jazz) playing friends use Polytones. Though, they just basically use clean tones.

Fuchs was the first thing that came to mind when I read the part about the smooth overdrive.

Good luck!

J

7. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

Well, reading the type of sound you are looking for, I don't think the Polytone, or Transtube would be what you are looking for. Fuchs, Two Rock are too high priced for your budget, but seem to be what you are looking for. Check out the many Scottl clips that are here on GP. Absolutely the perfect example of that "horn type, smooth OD" sound. Of course, you will hear some simply outstanding playing/touch that has a big effect on the tone.

Maybe a used Peavy Classic, or Fender HR Deluxe and a tone shapeable OD pedal, like a Xotic AC boost would fall into your budget. I know that approximate tone can be achived with that set up, I have done it.

Best of luck,
    Duffy

8. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

Trademark TM60 is a great low cost option, and way lighter than a tube head.

9. TechpriesT

TechpriesT Member

So far, i'm thinkin the subway blues and the JC-90 both look good. I'm not really into the peavey thing. and a fuchs would be nice, but way out of my price range lol. And is the polytone as nice sounding as a jazz chorus? and which would you go with out of those? thanks.

10. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

JC-90 is awful. Very noisy (hissy) and sterile sounding.

Go listen to the Peavey Bandit. Believe me, you can't go wrong with it and it's cheap and reliable. Been using one for years along with Fuchs, Fender, Acoustic Image, etc. It hangs in there pretty good. Subway blues is kind of grainy sounding to me with not much headroom.

Polytone's are good with a traditional archtop but pretty bad for any kind of funk or fusion.

11. fatback

fatback Member

While I love my Subway Blues, I'd think twice before reccomending it for jazz. It is not a high headroom clean amp and does not have a very clear bass register when turned up. They are great miked for blues and rock, but for jazz, I'd look into a Peavey Classic 30 instead. They have more headroom and a 12" speaker. If 6V6's are more your thing, the Fender Blues Devilles gets some nice round cleans and can be found , used for fairly cheap.

I was really impressed with the Fargen/Solaway jazz combo I tried at the Marin guitar show. Great high headroom cleans in a small lightweight package.

12. Greg

Greg Member

Consider an early 60s Gibson Falcon GA19-RVT. A darker tone than blackface, 2 6V6s, 12" speaker, and reverb (and trem). Smoother than a brown Princeton, I think.

These can be had for $400 or less, depending on condition and whether they've been tuned up.

13. MVrider

MVrider Member

What kind of amps have you listened to?

What have you ruled out?

Why?

What did you like?

Why?

What kind of jazz players do you like?

You say "like a horn" what do you mean?

Give an example of a player that sounds like a horn in your mind.

14. erksin

erksin Member

Word!

My '63 GA-19RVT gets killer, full-sounding, smooth OD tones and has really nice cleans (fatter, richer than a Fender BFDR by comparison). I have a brown Princeton as well, and it has no real headroom to speak of - the Gibson stays clean until about 5 on the volume knob. The Falcon is one of the coolest amps ever, IMO...

Another interesting choice might be a '60s Ampeg - either a Gemini or Reverberocket. A little more high end than the Gibson, but also sounds quite good for jazz tones IMO.

15. TechpriesT

TechpriesT Member

Well ive ruled out the subway blues now. Still unsure of the JC-90 i thought the 120 was really good. I have listened to that, and pretty much alot of other solid state junk, i havent heard the powerblock but i was considering that. I liked the jazz chorus because it sounded uber fat, but the problem is i need a pristine clean and that just wont do. So im also considering a traynor from what ive heard about those. And as far as a horn, to sound as much like as sax as possible within the confines of guitar tone. I've never heard anyone play with the exact tone i want so ive got no clue.

16. kram21

kram21 Member

A Bogner Shiva 6l6 with a 1x12 ported cab with a celes cl80 is a great jazz amp[also rock nad blues amp]. In addition, a Fender super reverb will get the Jazz tones,futhermore transistor amps will give pleasing jazz tones[ie,crate roland stereo chorus]

17. D.G.

D.G. Member

Many trad style jazz players, like pedal steel players, are so wrapped up in playing lots of notes that that they forget that the amp is at least as important as the guitar. Consequently, their tone tends to be pretty bad. Solid state amps suck. Blech!

Anyway, for a slightly darker clean tone in a relatively lightweight, loud package, I think the Hotrod Deluxe is a fine, fine choice. I thought the overdrive channel sounded wretched, but I bet a Zendrive in the clean channel would sound great!

18. TechpriesT

TechpriesT Member

Sorry for takin so long to respond, though I don't have the pups yet, thats just what im planning to throw in there as soon as i get paid. lol Either those or darkbursts.

19. OOG

OOG Member

Roland cube 60 works great for me with the blackface model
    sounds much better than a polytone to my ears
    use with an overdrive pedal like the Zen
    if you want to go with tubes, gotta agree on the hot rod/Zen combo

20. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    From what you said in your 1st post it sounds like you want an old Ampeg or Fender (tweed or brown faced). It will get that nice, smooth OD and have a lot of midrange, and will sound very hornlike, IMO. I think that smaller speakers help with that too- 8" speakers have a lot of honk, but you of course would need a bigger amp that a Champ. Maybe you can fit 2x8"s into something?

But then you say something like this;
    ??? I thought you wanted smooth OD...

I had a JC-120- it's a cool amp, but it's not hornlike at all. And it is just about as pristine clean as you can get. I mean, that amp doesn't color your tone, it's like playing straight into the board or PA.

Really, go over the questions MVrider asked- otherwise it's hard to give you any serious recommendations.