• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Jazz ballad, Tele and a Quinn SDO

Mike

Well hell, I really loved that!! Tones, taste, chops, wow! Great job!

Mike

DANOCASTER

Gold Supporting Member
Nice tele tone :) Is the reverb coming from the amp - or outboard ?

Nice playing as well

abergdahl

Very musical playing and clean tone, well done!! Not to crazy with the OD sound, are you using the neck pickup?? I don't like neck pups with od, but its a matter of taste... Would like to hear that amp with OD and the bridge pickup :drool Again I LOVE the cleaner sounds and playing.. THANKS

Dave_C

Very musical playing and clean tone, well done!! Not to crazy with the OD sound, are you using the neck pickup?? I don't like neck pups with od, but its a matter of taste... Would like to hear that amp with OD and the bridge pickup :drool Again I LOVE the cleaner sounds and playing.. THANKS
How can you NOT like that OD sound? What don't you like about it...or maybe I should say, what don't you like about neck PUP OD tones? Man, that excludes a HUGE body of groundbreaking historical tones!

abergdahl

How can you NOT like that OD sound? What don't you like about it...or maybe I should say, what don't you like about neck PUP OD tones? Man, that excludes a HUGE body of groundbreaking historical tones!
:eek: It's a bit to buzzy for my taste, i like the bite of a bridge pickup. The neck, to me sounds thin and unfocused. This sound is MUCH better than average, but I do find it to be slightly nasal. I usually feel the same of most distorted neck pickup sounds. I do love clean and slightly dirty neck tones but i simply don't like neck pickups with a lot of overdrive... sorry :)

Dave_C

:eek: It's a bit to buzzy for my taste, i like the bite of a bridge pickup. The neck, to me sounds thin and unfocused. This sound is MUCH better than average, but I do find it to be slightly nasal. I usually feel the same of most distorted neck pickup sounds. I do love clean and slightly dirty neck tones but i simply don't like neck pickups with a lot of overdrive... sorry :)
Gotcha'. I guess I was focusing on what the AMP was doing with what it was being fed, as opposed to the inherent tone of the PUP itself. But, given all that, I just don't hear any of the fuzz you referred to. I'm hearing a pretty darn well-defined, articulate, fat, blooming, sustaining sound with a little bark when Martin digs in. Tons of dynamics and changes in tone just by how the notes are picked -very complex and musical, once again, given the basic timbre of the PUP feeding it. The amp doesn't cover that up, but lets it come through. This tone is like one of those very expensive fine wines which go through a whole series of complex "orchestral" changes in your mouth from start to finish where adding the band is like adding a fine meal to provide a fitting context for those flavors to mingle with.

abergdahl

Gotcha'. I guess I was focusing on what the AMP was doing with what it was being fed, as opposed to the inherent tone of the PUP itself. But, given all that, I just don't hear any of the fuzz you referred to. I'm hearing a pretty darn well-defined, articulate, fat, blooming, sustaining sound with a little bark when Martin digs in. Tons of dynamics and changes in tone just by how the notes are picked -very complex and musical, once again, given the basic timbre of the PUP feeding it. The amp doesn't cover that up, but lets it come through. This tone is like one of those very expensive fine wines which go through a whole series of complex "orchestral" changes in your mouth from start to finish where adding the band is like adding a fine meal to provide a fitting context for those flavors to mingle with.
OK listen in headphones, much better especially when Martin picks softer and it cleans up nice. To me it's still slightly nasal... but maybe some of the best neck pickup OD sounds i have ever heard. (but i still don't really like neck pickups with overdrive, just i as i don't like some fine wines):p:)

Unburst

Thanks all for the good words, Scott-dude...appreciate it.

Anders-the solo is the bridge pickup on my Tele with the tone rolled down about halfway.
I was a bit restricted with the volume I could record at which probably explains the slight fuzziness.
If I get a chance I'll redo it with a Les Paul and some volume with less gain.

Dave-the tranny is a beefed up Twin and the tubes are EL34s.
I've heard it with 6L6's too and it sounds just as great but I'm in love the EL34 clean tones.

Never thought I'd say that but...

Last edited:

Trending Topics