jazz bass or precision bass?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by bertybert, Oct 2, 2008.

1. the(sims)

the(sims) Member

Check out the Fender Deluxe series of basses, the ones MIM. Really nice basses for the money and can be upgraded with a Badass or Gotoh 201 bridge very easily. I think the Deluxe P bass has the jazz neck, so best of both worlds. The Deluxe Jazz has USA electronics and the noiseless pickups.

2. Belmont

Belmont Member

the only real answer is.....both.

3. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I say Jazz.

You can roll off the bridge pickup and get a fairly passable P sound, but there's absolutely no way you can get a 2 pickup Jazz type sound off a single pickup P.

4. Nick Sorenson

Nick Sorenson Rocketfire Guitars

Very true. I play a Jazz for this exact reason.

For the punchier 70's funk, 60's motown etc., a real precision may be necessary for that tone... if 'the tone' itself is important. It's impossible to exactly dup the vibe if the vibe is important in a recording. But then again, the pickups in most off the shelf P's aren't going to sound like the 62's in Jamerson's bass or the classics used in old recordings. So.....

But... usually for what most people do (live playing) the vibe isn't 100% the most important thing. The groove is.

A Jazz will do that part.

5. Luke

Luke Senior Member

With today's active electronics and EQ abilities, most guys seem to be playing jazz basses as they can cope almost any tone now.

6. Thomme

Thomme Member

I'd suggest the Fender Deluxe Series MIM P-bass to get the best of both worlds, actually. I've got a slightly older (I think an 02) model, luckily from before the active electronics. I personally don't like the neck, becuase it's too thin, nor do I like the Jazz pickup. I generally roll off the Jazz pickup.

Interestingly enough, when my friend and I did a comparison of the parts, it seemed to be made out of more American parts, than import parts. The neck was identical to that of the maple neck'd American Standards and the pickups had the resistance of the American pickups, rather than the mexis. I assume that these manufacturing techniques have carried over onto the new active models. But, for the money, they are fine basses.

Other than that: P-bass... that's it.

7. highrise

highrise Member

P bass Lyte...?

It's a smaller body with a P/J active pup combo. It's lighter than my strat. Jazz neck...

CHEAP on ebay.

8. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have a Mike Lull Jazz Bass w/active EQ. I can cop many tones and get very close to a P. Bass. The Jazz is great in the mix, very punchy and solid.

9. vic6120

vic6120 Member

The real question is, which one to buy first. Play bass long enough and you'll end up with both.

10. Portland1

Portland1 Member

I'd go for the jazz bass. I've always liked that sound better

11. pedalhead

pedalhead Member

P bass.
    rock solid, dependable etc. etc.

+1 on the P bass lyte, truly versatile, and killer tones available too

12. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Member

Jazz with a boost circuit.

13. DanGouge

DanGouge Member

What sort of music will you be playing? Yes you can dial in something that sounds like a Precision on a Jazz, but if you really dig the P tone, nothing else will cut it.

14. mkoby

mkoby Member

If you play a lot, you'll want both.
    You won't go wrong with either.
    I prefer P-basses (B necks)
    My son likes J-basses (the A neck), but plays P-bass much of the time for the groups he has worked with, as the P sound works better.

There are a lot of both being played because both are good.

15. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

A P/J combination sounds like something worth considering. You have to ask yourself what kind of neck profile you want though, the jazz necks are thinner and the precision necks are fatter.

My first bass I started out on was the MIJ Aerodyne bass, it's a PJ configuration with a thin jazz neck. It's MIJ quality, sounded much better than the MIM Fenders I've put them up against (and felt better too).

16. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

The P/J configuration is one of my favs, I also dig the Music Man pickup position too as I can get different tones by just moving my picking hand around, it cuts through the mix well too;)

My dream bass will have a jazz bridge, a Music Man middle and a P-bass neck;)

17. HowardMusic

HowardMusic Member

when i play, i play a p-bass which i think fits the style of music i play which is mostly noise or space rock. nice solid sound and feel.

18. bonvo

bonvo Member

i like the jazz bass over the p bass 2 pickups over one and in my opinion they look bad ass with no pick guard

19. Nick Sorenson

Nick Sorenson Rocketfire Guitars

Plus 1 on this!

I'm often tempted to get out a router every time I think about this. I'd put the MM pickup as close as possible to the Jazz bridge pickup so it would still have that punchy mid range.

As far as electronics... I guess the MM's preamp (the old one) and I'd have to have it so it'd bypass with a push pot.

All of that with an extra neck for going fretless.

Now that would be a fun bass. What else would there be at that point? That pretty much covers all the basses doesn't it!