"Jazz Bazz" wiring problem. Both pickups = telephone

trazan

I've got some cheap Jazz Bass copy in the house. Sounds (and plays) quite good, actually...except, I can only roll up the volume on one pickup at a time. When using both, everything below 700Hz goes south and only honk is left...

So, maybe some of you guys could save me the hassle of trying to find the right cabling? :cool: Reversed polarity on one pickup wouldn't result in this, would it?

Yes it would if the pickups are out of phase, they cancel any common frequencies when used together, normally resulting in a honking mid range thin tone with no bass.

trazan

Yes it would if the pickups are out of phase, they cancel any common frequencies when used together, normally resulting in a honking mid range thin tone with no bass.

I'll check that first then!

I was thinking how the middle pickup on a Strat being wired like that doesn't result in loss of lows at all...

EDIT: On second thought...on a Strat the magnets are probably also reversed..

Last edited:

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
I'll check that first then!

I was thinking how the middle pickup on a Strat being wired like that doesn't result in loss of lows at all...

EDIT: On second thought...on a Strat the magnets are probably also reversed..
yeah, wire up a middle strat pickup backwards and get back to us ;)

the magnets on jazz bass pickups are supposed to be backwards as well.

either way, just reverse one of the pickups and you'll be good to go.

Strat pickup positions 2 and 4 are often referred to as out of phase in error, because the two pickups together impart a magical tone that individual pickups don't have, but they are in fact in phase. If they were out, you'd know about it believe me, they don't sound anything like the accepted mid positions.

trazan

Yeah, I always read positions 2 and 4 were reversed polarity...didn't quite make sense. This makes more sense!

trazan

Yeah, that did the trick. Fascinating how someone could solder that one white wire together with all the other black ones...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom