1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Jazz guitar

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Tomo, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Tomo

Tomo Member

I would like to say "Charlie Christian" !

If you never heard him, please listen to him. I don't know you can buy it at i-tune store...

Check out Charlie Christian's Genius of electric guitar. Listen to "Rose Room"

If you are interested to play jazz guitar style, please check it out.

Wes Montgomery, Jim Hall and all those giants copied Charlie Christian first.

Hope this will help someone. My goal is to help one person a day and make people smile!

Tomo

2. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Great goal!

I highly recommend this disc for some Charlie Christian in a combo format (he doesn't actually play with Dizzy - that is a misleading album title):

[​IMG]

The first few tracks have some amazing playing by Charlie Christian.

3. Tomo

Tomo Member

Thanks! I am trying it. That's my favorite too! Thanks for mentioning it.

Another goal: Push-ups & Sit-ups at lease 20 each a day! So I can play my guitar better.

Tomo

4. Gene

Gene Member

That's right Tomo! Listen to all the masters before you. Spend time with them.

5. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Member

CC was the wellspring of the post-war electric jazz guitar. Everyone
    learned from his example.

6. Mita

Mita Member

7. Tomo

Tomo Member

Thanks Gene! You are right too... best to go back and learn them. Listen, listen and listen. Important to be a great listener...

Tomo

8. t3oi

t3oi Silver Supporting Member

Great suggestion Tomo! I've been listening to CC as much as I can lately and have just been blown away by his style.

9. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

I have this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Charlie-Christian-Step-Step/dp/0634021826

What I like to do is lay down (comp) a simple rhythm track into my Boss RC-2 and play the solos from the book over my rhythm track. You really hear how the scales sound over the chords. Plus, CC is doing some cool stuff that you don't really hear nowadays, at least not in rock. But you get an idea where it all came from...

10. Tomo

Tomo Member

CC! Yes. Everyone was influenced by CC. That's why I wanted to go back and transcribe CC. Rose Room is my favorite. Benny's Bugle is great blues too. After you transcribe it. You can analyze it and practice chord changes with Rt37 groove... triads too. CC didn't think scales (in 1939-1941..). more about chords. His solo built around simple chord form.

Tomo

11. DrSax

DrSax Member

Went back and listened to The Genius of the Electric Guitar, man i love this stuff. I feel like an old fashioned fuddy duddy, I like the old stuff--up to Wes Montgomery, the best. Don't get me wrong, I dig the more modern players too (Bill Frissell one of my faves, Sco etc.), but the swing and bop eras really make my pants dance.

12. Tomo

Tomo Member

Hi Mita,

Thanks. I know someone does like that for Joe Pass. Another great jazz guitar player!

Tomo

13. Tomo

Tomo Member

I teach Charlie Christian style to my students so I always have fun and CC is still fresh every time I listen... I love his time, phrasing... Thanks.

Do you listen to Barney Kessel "Vol 1" great jazz record! song is called "That's all" great phrasing!

Tomo

14. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer

Is that from one of the Poll Winners albums (with Ray Brown, Manne)? Kessel was I think the closest to and next step from Christian in the evolution of jazz guitar. Obviously a huge influence just looking at his choice in guitar/pickups.

15. Tomo

Tomo Member

No. It's called "Vol 1" really great album. Please check it out. Tomo

16. goodtone

goodtone Member

Years ago and I still have the issue, there was an article in Guitar Player Magazine that said " Everytime someone picks up the electric guitar whether they know it or not they are tipping their hat to Charlie Christian". Early pioneer of electric and jazz guitar .

17. JonR

JonR Member

To situate him in his time:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Christian#Style_and_influences
    - I think it's particularly significant that he was not only influenced by horn players rather than guitarists, but went on to influence other important horn players, like the be-boppers.
    Naturally, later guitarists followed his lead, but it's a sign of his originality that other instrumentalists learned from him too.

That's one of the best lessons for any jazz guitarist (who wants to improvise single-line melodic solos in the CC tradition): listen to horn players!

18. Tomo

Tomo Member

Thanks for writing. I really like good swing-bebop jazz. Thanks.
    PS, I have recorded really nice jazzy blues with Bernard Purdie and Will Lee!

Tomo

19. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I need to listen to more Charlie Christian.

My jazz guitar teacher had us study him. He had his more serious students working out of a Charlie Christian book. Unfortunately, I don't remember which one. Maybe Charlie Christian - The Definitive Collection?

For our final in university jazz guitar class, we each had to learn a part from a 5-part harmonized arrangement of Christian's "Rosie's Room" solo. I only took the class once so I got the original solo. A shame I never though of photocopying it - had to give it back to the teacher when the quarter was over. The more advanced guys got the parts that were harmonized to the point of being atonal on their own. I'll probably pick up that Definitive Collection book - it'd be great to revisit a great college-era (for me) experience. I remember that solo being a pain in the butt for me, because I'd only been playing guitar for 2-3 years, and not a whole lot of that spent on quality technique development. On of my jazz guitar classmates was surprised at the fingering I came up with for that solo - he thought it made my hand look like a spider. Maybe I'll come up with something more efficient this time.

20. JSeth

JSeth Member

Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    Great to recognize a oft-forgotten genius of the electric guitar... Charlie was one of, if not the first, to play single note lines on the electric guitar...

I always figured if I took Charlie, Django and Les Paul, I would pretty much have everything I need to know about playing "lead" guitar... One can hear echoes of their playing (if not actual lines) in EVERY GREAT ELECTRIC PLAYER since their time...