Jazz iii vs. Regular picks

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Nazgul666, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Nazgul666

Nazgul666 Member

I always used a regular Dunlop Delrin pick. About a year ago I was getting very into Petrucci and scale sequences and metronome practicing etc. and made the switch to a Jazz iii pick. Never loved them but then the bigger ones felt weird so I stayed with the little ones.

I might go back to the big one, the little ones, I don't know. I feel like I'm always too close to a pinch harmonic, lol. I was able to use a lighter touch with the big pick especially with economy picking. And I think I like the tone better.

Does anyone have experience with both? Whaddya think?

2. taez555

taez555 Member

I've been a Jazz III player since the mid 90's. I recently switched about a year or so ago to the slightly larger Jazz III XL's. They're not as small as the reg Jazz III's, but also not as big as regular picks. Sort of a nice happy middle ground.

It's all good though. Go with what you feel most comfortable with and think sounds best. :)

jimijimmyjeffy and tiktok like this.
  3. Bogner

Bogner Member

I went through this about 3 years ago. I am happier with the bigger pic personally. I went with the 1.14 Ultex and found home. I recently tried out the Hetfield 1.14 Ultex picks and they have a tad bit pointier tip which I really like. So to me, they have the jazz III point in a full size pick. So far, I am liking them the best but have only spent a few wee with them. I will stick with one or the other of the Ultex though. Hope my input helped in some way...lol.

4. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Supporting Member

I moved to red jazz IIIs about 5 years ago after 20 years of playing mostly fender 0.73mm standards, mostly really dull ones. I didn't pay much attention to picks, to be honest, I just played whatever was around. Then I spent about a year trying different kinds and exploring, and for me the jazz IIIs came out on top. The size took quite a while to get used to, but now bigger picks feel a little unwieldy. I like the tone and grip of jazz IIIs and they're versatile. Been tempted to try the XLs for a while... one of these days.

5. jerrycasemusic

jerrycasemusic Member

Used the little ones for a decade or more - then switched to the XL's - LOVE EM. They don't spin or slip like the little ones did under sweaty stage conditions. I also flipped it around and use the shoulder not the point. Felt odd at first but i loved the tone... now i can't play with the point.

6. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

I'd been using the little Fender heavy jazz picks for years and decided to try the Dunlop EJ jazz III and the Maxgrip jazz III a couple months ago. I had noticed that the smooth Fender picks were moving around in my fingers while I played, especially in dry winter air.
    I'm sticking with the Maxgrip Jazz III picks. I like everything about them.

7. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

To small and stiff for me. I cut and sand my own out of the black 1mm nylon picks. I basically shorten it and give it the jiii tip.

Tone_Terrific likes this.
  8. kselbee

kselbee Member

I tried the jiii a few years ago and thought they were ridiculously small but then went back to them about a year or so ago and now I don't think I'll ever play anything but the jiii. I love them!

9. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

I tried the jiii's awhile back and didn't bond to them. To small and too smooth (I have very dry hands). But the perfect pick is the Dunlop Max-Grip 1.14's, just love them for most purposes. But I'll also use a Dunlop Nylon 0.60 for the R+B gig with lots of funk strumming, less string breakage.

10. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

I can't play large picks, or picks that flex - the Jazz III and other hard picks of that shape ruined me for the Fender medium. I'm totally dependent on a light grip providing the flex rather than trying to hang on to a flexing pick that's bouncing around in my hand. Standard flexible teardrops won't stay in my hand for 30 seconds, and I'll get cramps if I try.

I've been experimenting for years with hard jazz picks, and the best I've found are agate picks in a Jazz III shape, about 2.5mm thick. But they're expensive! And I lose them. So now I'm sticking with the Jazz III for a while. I don't have anything but Jazz III in my pocket at the moment.

11. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

I use red jazz iiis. Regular sized picks feel ridiculous to me now haha. Took about a month to really get used to them but I can't imagine going back

12. keepingitweird

keepingitweird Member

When I started playing almost 30 years ago I used the all mighty Fender mediums. After about a year I started exploring different picks...Stubbys, Jazz 3, thin, heavy, metal, etc...

For some unknown reason at the time I really liked the J3s. I had no idea if any of my "heroes" used them or not. They just felt right. They didn't wear down as quickly. I stuck with them.

The only reason I would tell someone not to try a J3 is they become a crutch. It is like trying to speak a foreign language whenever I use a different pick. I remember an article back in the day with some super shredder type talking about how he sharpened the tip of his picks and how he couldn't pick up a regular Fender style pick and play. Kinda the same thing for me.

On the other hand, I think the little J3s really force you to improve on your right hand picking skills.

Ok...I guess I am a J3 fanboy.

13. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

My approach to picks was actually informed by a drumming clinic by Steve Smith (ex-Journey, and a great jazz drummer). He talked a lot about the use of force. The trick to good tone with drums is to build velocity on the stick BEFORE it contacts the head, but not be applying any force at all to the stick at the moment of impact, so it can bounce cleanly. Trying to "push the stick through the head" actually means less volume and bad tone.

I apply the same logic to picking. I apply strength to get the pick moving, but relax that strength before the pick strikes the string, and just let momentum carry it through. I want a tip that I can control precisely, so I don't dig too much on the string (unless that's my intention). Part of that means letting the pick spring back on striking the string, rather than gripping hard. A flexible pick with a large surface flexes against the string, but has poor control, and your hand grips hard to compensate for the springy energy. A small, sharp pick with a great gripping surface lets you relax your grip and strike the string precisely, so you get better tone.

14. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member

I could have written this response as it sounds exactly like me.

15. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I've been using the Red Jazz III exclusively, for acoustics too, since '86. I used standard Fender extra heavy prior.
    I don't get the pick clicks with these Nylon picks.;)
    A standard size pick feels way too big now.

I first heard of the Jazz III from Michael Angelo Batio and Eric Johnson.

16. ieso

ieso Member

I used the JIII and JIIIEJ for over 20 years but found the WBC to be way better, I just use an emery board to slightly later the tip and make it like a slightly larger JIII

http://gtroblq.blogspot.com/2014/10/best-guitar-pick-for-shredding.html

The attack and release is better and they last weeks -- and with a few seconds of the emey board they're good to go for months and months.

17. JTM100

JTM100 Member

I used the Jazz III and the Jazz III Ultex for years. For the past year I have been using V-Picks. I mainly use the "Mummy" and "Dimension" models. When I first saw the V-Picks, I thought that there is no way I would ever be able to use some them...but I was very suprised at how well they work for me. And I do alot of fast alternate picking.

18. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

I have been using Jazz III XL (red - easy to find on dark stages!) for about 4-5yrs now. I use a variety of picks at home because it is just more fun for a variety and it recalibrates my picking technique. But the one I keep going back to is the J3 XL.
    I have not found any retail of J3 XL Ultex but I am eager to try them. I have J3 Ultex and I like those from time to time.

19. dto

dto Member

Amazon sells them: http://amzn.com/B00ISQCHF4

20. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

I've been using jazz III's since first started learning in 1983. It's the flat pick I use 99% of the time. It's nice and hard, offers a lot of control and is great for fast runs.

Ironically I'm just starting to use a thumb pick extensively since I've been learning Chet Atkins type stuff. I don't use pick now much at all and the thumb pick doubles as a flat pick at a pinch.