Jazz Practice: Solo In Blues, Incorporate Learned Licks

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by rich2k4, Jan 18, 2008.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

well as some of you know, i have been taking jazz lessons for at least a month and a half now. 1 lesson every 2 weeks.

i decided to make another clip showing what i have been working on lately.

my homework since last lesson has been to continue soloing in the G blues, but this time try to incorporate the 2 jazz licks that we have been working on.

those being 1 that my teacher made up, and a George Benson lick. off of Myna Bird Blues.

i had to learn these licks in multiple places all over the neck, and also keep in mind what note the lick starts on.

both licks are ii-V-I licks, the one my teacher made up, starts on the root of the ii chord, and the Benson lick starts on the 5th of the ii chord.

in order to be able to incorporate them into the blues, my teacher showed me that by using chord substitutions you can create various ii-V-I's within the blues progression.

what we did was take the part where G7 plays for 2 measures, and took the 5th of G and made it into a m7 chord. so instead of G7/G7 it would be Dm7/G7. this led nicely into the C9 that comes up. we already had another ii-V-I later on in the progression, Am7/D9/G7

i used band in a box to make the progression play behind me.

i'd really appreciate some replies to this thread, with peoples opinions on whether i am in the right direction, and things i can work on.

http://media.putfile.com/Jazz-Practice--Solo-In-Blues-Incorporate-Learned-Licks

2. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Cool stuff.

Exactly the same approach I was taken through. Great way to start breakin into Jazz.

Aint gonna offer any advice as I'm just a hack and likely to get slapped by the jazz police, but it sounds like you're on the right track for some great learning. Sweet.

3. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Dunno anything about it...me a hack as well:D
    But I loved those lines and that relaxed feel...plus I really enjoyed the tone!

4. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

thanks for listening guys