1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Jazz progressions

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by taylorfreak, Jan 29, 2005.

1. taylorfreak

taylorfreak Guest

Anyone knows where i can get lots of nice-sounding jazz progressions? Those that u would wanna play when u test a new guitar!

Any website or posting right here will do fine...

2. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Just get a real book and pick some tunes. You really can't do any better than that.

3. taylorfreak

taylorfreak Guest

kinda difficult to get any of the fake books over here,

perhaps any kind soul might wanna contritube some websites?

Or perhaps just typed out any gd progressions here?

4. taylorfreak

taylorfreak Guest

though i feel like a pirate...but nevertheless...great website u have there..should keep me glued to the guitar for some time...

anyway, PDF files are troublesome..takes too long to load..:mad:

5. sws1

sws1 Member

They take along time to load because they are all HUGE files. Most 25 Mbytes or higher.

6. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

But well worth it, if you have the bandwidth... :dude

7. taylorfreak

taylorfreak Guest

hey guys,

Got a better idea with those gigantic files, i downloaded them!!

Therefore no more lags!

8. Mr.Hanky

I have that whole thing on CD-ROM with the master index.
    What a great idea, no more huge books to tote around, need a tune? print it.

Whoever took the time to scan all these and index them should be commended, sheeet, I'll buy you a drink!

9. taylorfreak

taylorfreak Guest

Gd idea to store them on CD...

Would be even better if anyone would to print them out...

but at 500+ pages per book...and having around 10 books there...

who would?

10. Mr.Hanky

I think the whole point is that you do not have to print them all out, just the tunes you are working on.

11. FrankW

FrankW Member

It may be very convenient to be able to download these books, but it is nevertheless theft. I don't care so much for the already illeagal books, but for the Chuck Sher Publications. They cost a lot of money, but they are absolutely worth it (and the composers get royalties), and I can't imagine that they are not available in Singapore. I wonder what mayham it would cause on this board if someone put a PDF version of SOS by Jack Zucker online?

12. taylorfreak

taylorfreak Guest

Sorry about that, would only use it for personal reference and wont print them out...:(

13. -kk-

-kk- Member

FYI, the real books are everywhere. Ive seen them on the shelf at Borders at Orchard Rd, and a few other places. In fact, from what I rememberd i think that particular borders had quite a selection of jazz standards. You may wanna hit the store just for a browse.

Cant remember the prices though.

hope this helps.

14. taylorfreak

taylorfreak Guest

yup,ive seen them at kino too..but they cost a bomb and i only wanted the chords for 1 song so not very worthwhile to buy the entire book...

anyway KK, you from Singapore too?

15. -kk-

-kk- Member

kino is a little pricey but it may be worth it to get a book with and learn a few tunes from there.

Im not fr Spore, just travel there lots for work.

16. jordanL

jordanL Member

FWIW Version 6 of the Real Book is now a legitimate product put out by Hal Leonard. Here in the US it lists for 25.00.

17. taylorfreak

taylorfreak Guest

Oh thanks TELEMAN!

:dude cant wait to get my guitar now and try that out!

18. taylorfreak

taylorfreak Guest

ONe major question before i move on with my practice, we have 1 thumb and 3 fingers to comp, which strings do u normally comp to?

I usually use the bass/thumb and avoid the high E string, cos i suppose Jazz is more mellow? and guitar is often the accompany instrument, should "stand out" in terms of voicing...

how then should i play the above progression? a mixture of voicings or keep all highest voicings of the chords within the high B string?

19. taylorfreak

taylorfreak Guest

I usually use a combination of INNER and RHYTHM comp so that the voicings when we changed that much..
    Hence i will make use of the Low A and E strings as ROOTS within a static area of at most 4-5 frets away...to prevent the voicing from running all over...

Is that important when playing together with other? to maintain similar voicings to avoid clashes