1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Jazz Standards (definitive)

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Melodic Dreamer, May 16, 2011.

1. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I'm going to list some standards and tell me what version you think is "The" version to listen to for that particular song.
    It can be instrumental or one with vocals.

All The Things You Are
    Alone Together
    Autumn Leaves
    Body And Soul
    Bye Bye Black Bird
    Misty
    Round Midnight
    Satin Doll
    Scrapple From The Apple
    So What
    Summer Time

2. toddinjax@yahoo

toddinjax@yahoo Senior Member

If you look in the original, illegal, sold on the street for $20 in front of Berklee circa 1976 Real Book, the recommended recordings are listed at the bottom of the page.

3. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

umm, and where would one find such a book?

4. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

That's the type of question that inspires endless debate, exploration and discovery. Many versions have completely different commendable qualities. Outside of, MAYBE Miles' (studio) Bye Bye, I doubt you'd get much unanimity on 'definitive' versions. For example, even if you opt for Monk playing 'Round Midnight, which version? Solo or with band? Which solo?

While, if you're only seeking 'correct/original' changes, the answers are simpler, why limit yourself?

5. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Sometimes I wonder why I even ask questions on this forum. Just play along and be nice to me. Thank you

6. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

And sometimes I wonder why I even answer questions.

Do you want definitive in terms of advanced reharmonization, bop-based solos, lyrical melodic statement, modal-based improv, group interplay, modern drumming, guitar soloing, etc., etc.?

Good luck.

Edit: Okay, I'll go out on a lim(b)itation and offer Cannonball's 'Somethin' Else' (really the Miles group under Adderley's name) version of Autumn Leaves, and any Miles LIVE 'So What' (even though everyone will point to 'Kind of Blue'). Tenor players will point to Coleman Hawkins' 'Body & Soul'. 'Scrapple's gotta be Parker; good luck choosing one version.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  7. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Thanks for the examples.
    My question was not intended to start a debate, but to bring together a list of people's opinion's that were based on their favorite versions. Then the idea was to listen to the versions given from each reply and on that base my own opinion on what I like. I'm just curious what people's favorite versions are of a few of the standards I listen too and am in the process of learning.

8. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

it should be pretty easy to find a pdf of this online with a little googling

9. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Cool, I'll look for it.

Any other opinions?

10. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

All The Things You Are - one of my favorites is John Scofield's from Flat Out, but mostly my favorite versions of this tune were recorded by Warne Marsh, both as contrafacts and ATTYA. Killer version by Brad Mehldau with Lee Konitz and Charlie Haden. I also really like Richie Beirach's reharm on his Live at Maybeck.

Alone Together - one of my favorites is Jim Hall and Ron Carter live. Pat Martino on Footprints, too.

Body and Soul - Coltrane

Bye Bye Blackbird - Miles w/Coltrane, Garland, Philly Joe and Paul Chambers.

Autumn Leaves - Nat Cole

'Round Midnight - several of Monk's versions come to mind, both solo and with groups

11. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

A few of these seem indisputable in that there is a version that changed forever how the song was heard - in some cases its the version by the cat who wrote it.

Body And Soul - Coleman Hawkins. Don't the jazz police require every jazz musician to be able to play this?
    Bye Bye Black Bird - Miles
    Misty - Errol Garner
    Round Midnight - Monk
    Satin Doll - Duke
    Scrapple From The Apple - Bird
    So What - Miles

12. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Thanks guys. A few of these versions I know and a few I didn't. Will have to check them out. Thanks a lot.

13. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Supporting Member

Bill Evans & Eddie Gomez, "Are You All The Things" off Intuition

On the one hand, Miles & Gil Evans off Porgy & Bess
    On the other hand, Wes Montgomery's "Four on Six" is a contrafact of "Summertime." The version on Smokin' at the Half Note is an incredible, joyous education. You can listen to it a hundred times and still learn.

14. Schroedinger

Schroedinger Member

These are my favorite recordings of some of these. I'll let others judge whether they're the "best".

I would also say Bill Evans for All The Things You Are; I like it with the trio when he played with Scott Lafaro.

Body And Soul- Oscar Peterson.

Misty- Django and Stephane Grappelli.

Round Midnight- Monk, no question.

Satin Doll- Duke Ellington is the reference.

So What- Miles Davis quartet on Kind of Blue.

15. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    I'm going to give what I think the "it" version is, then my fave.

All The Things You Are- Bird, Grant Green on Standards
    Alone Together- not sure, Blakey at Cafe Bohemia (slow), Turrentine with the Three Sounds (swinging)
    Autumn Leaves- Cannonball on Somethin Else
    Body And Soul- Coleman Hawkins, Max Roach Plus 4 (Rollins)
    Bye Bye Black Bird- Miles Round Midnight, Miles at the Blackhawk
    Misty- don't know, Groove Holmes
    Round Midnight- Sorry Miles on Round Midnight, Wes on Trio
    Satin Doll- Duke, don't know hate the tune
    Scrapple From The Apple- Bird, Dex on Our Man in Paris
    So What- Miles
    Summer Time- Miles Porgy and Bess, Sonny Rollins Sonny Meets Hawk (not because it's good...)