Jazzier type of SD type tune - inc Backing Track

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by journo, Sep 1, 2005.

1. journo

journo Member

Hi,

This tune has a lot of inspirational sources. Most of all it came from all the kind responses I got from you fellow TGP members to my latest tune and backing track. Style wise it's the same old Steely Dan things that pop up in my head. This time it's maybe not as close at it usually is. You decide! Next backing track (in the works) will be in a different style.

The guitar playing was very much inspired by CarlosEduardo in here. While I wouldn't want to compare my humble ability to his monster chops he still influenced me in the way I approached this tune.

Sound wise, it's my ES-335 into a Boss GS-10 but I really wish I had a properly miked Fuchs for this one.
    Drums = Battery 2
    Bass = HALion using a wizoo Stingray bass
    Rhodes = Lounge Lizard 2

Here is the tune:
    From A Small Square

Here is a backing track:
    From A Small Square Backing Track

If you download it I would, as always, appreciate a comment.

Cheers,

Mats N

2. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Well you brought in your own thing here Mats.
    And I really liked the smooth flowing lines you played.
    Nice sound too, and the backing is great as usual.
    :)
    Niels

3. fig

fig Member

Hi Journo -

I really like your melodic, laid back approach. :D

4. Weldaar

Weldaar Member

Mats, You write some nice stuff Man!:AOK

I really like the tone on those drums. I love playing to your tracks. Hope you don't mind?
    I give credit where credit is due.

5. CarlosEduardo

CarlosEduardo Member

Mats...amigo you make my day ..GRACIAS :AOK ..I could not be more glad by bring some inspiration that being to you, the inspiration when we play over your BTs is coming from you, your backing tracks have that hard to get liveliness touch, feel, experience and taste of years, specially when that is a computer produced piece of music the human mood then is something elusive...and you get it more than enough. This new BT is great! I can note aside of the Steely Dan influence also a lite aproach to the more recent instrumental material from George Benson..blend of smooth jazz and rock..cool, and your playing here is outstanding! I will try my take asap ...maybe this weekend ..thank you Mats.

Carlos

http://www.carlosarellano.com/music

6. journo

journo Member

Hi all!

Niels (Rid) - You must be the kindest dane I have ever not met. ;) You always have something nice to say. Thanks!

Fig - Thanks for listening. My laidback approach comes from not being able to play fast so I have to concentrate on other elements to make it an OK musical piece.

Weldaar - Just keep playing my good man! I just wish I could hear some of it.

Carlos - I don't remember who said it but someone did once say "the only tru comment to a piece of art is another piece of art". Now, while I don't want to be presumptous to call my music ART it is however a creative expression and as such a true comment would be another piece of music. So I'm very much looking foreward to your interpretation.

On a different note. As some of you have noticed I'm swedish. I have studied, worked and spent quite a few vacations in the US so I'm heavily influenced by american music (who isn't?). The thing is that this kind of laid back style with a bit more advanced harmonies like this BT and the one before ("So It Is") is considered really bad taste in Sweden. It almost like it's morally questionable to write/play music like this. Therefore I'm really glad to find people here at the TGP that are a bit more broad minded. Thanks for your support!

Cheers,

Mats N

7. CarlosEduardo

CarlosEduardo Member

Mats, It will be a pleasure to jam and create some notes on this new BT from you, ah btw...great quote at "the only tru comment to a piece of art is another piece of art" just I was here with a friend who is kinda joker lol ...and him with his precarious english did roflmao me to breathless when remake it to "the only tru comment to a $hit piece of art is another piece of.... fart" :D Of course is a joke ..latin mates mine here hahaha Andale! andale Compadre!!
    :dude

In other side and about your coment of this music being " bad taste in Sweden" ...geezz! that is annoying to me since I always think about that kind of cultural sad issues never happen in a so advanced lands like Sweden an other Europe places. Here in my country unfortunately the same thing happens, our people musical tradition is very rich but the masses show a pathetic poverty of musical roots and evolution..like sheeps without own free will just obeying the media tyranny .anyway..sadly the global tendency seemed to be that

Carlos

8. EricT

EricT Member

Nice, Mats! A bit more bluesy and Benson-ish approach than your other tracks, very cool!

And about your comment about swedish music...i can definitely understand what you're talking about. Sweden is mostly known(at least here in Norway) for your pop music, and not that much for more "sophisticated" stuff.

9. journo

journo Member

Hi Eric,

Thanks for listening.

What we also don't have in Sweden is a nice place like Godlyd with all the nice high end stuff.

Cheers,

Mats N

10. PacoCasanovas

PacoCasanovas Member

Wow.....another Triple-WOW Award for you!:dude :dude :dude

Great playing man!!! And as always...great backingtrack!!

Sweden? Music? Mmh....let me think, one of my biggest influences i had when i started playing electric guitar and still one of my favs, was a guitarist from sweden......his name: Janne Schaffer ...i have a few records from him.....superb player!
    Good things coming from sweden!;)

greetz
    Paco

11. journo

journo Member

Hi Paco,

Thanks for the award. Now you have put the preassure on. I have to do a good BT next time around to go for a hat-trick.

Cheers,

Mats N

12. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    Hej Mats, fin låt! I really dig this song. You write so much good stuff, thank you for sharing. Nice playing, I like your ideas over this type of song, maybe even more than when you use the high gain stuff.

13. journo

journo Member

All right! A fellow swede :D

Thanks for the kind words. Regarding gain, I didn't think my stuff was really hi gain. :D

My next BT (in the works) will be more hi gain and the solo definitely has some very strange noises. To be posted soon.

Cheers,

Mats N

PS Må väl!!!