• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Jazzmaster 1st attempt..which one?

phil esposito

Silver Supporting Member
I'm looking at trying the world of Jazzmasters...which one should be the best bang for the buck?

J Mascis Squire or Classic Player or Blacktop?

Last edited:

joeybsyc

J mascis Squier is good, as is the Vintage Modified JM.... and is actually more true to what a Jazzmaster is. The Mascis has P90 style pickups vs, true JM pickups, and the tune-o-matic bridge and forward placed tremolo are 3 things that original Jazzmasters didn't have. With the said the J Mascis has a fatter neck with a satin finish that feels great. The pickups sound great too, just not really like a Jazzmaster. Can't really go wrong either way.

geek-mo

Silver Supporting Member
Classic Player! Just note that you may want to swap pickups, unless you play mostly high gain sounds. I put Seymour Duncan low output Vintage pickups in mine and it sounds so much better. Lots of fun to play, too.

RouseTheBoroughs

Silver Supporting Member
Mascis Squire ... It has the neck profile off the Rory Gallagher Strat, the hardware is actually decent and fret job out of the box miles ahead of the Tex-Mex Jazzies

I changed the tuners because started using it A LOT, after a while I got rid of the rythm circuit and got Duncan antiquities !

Here she be

phil esposito

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks guys....I forgot to add the blacktop.

I guess I should clarify...I'm not hung up on classic JM tones and would be modifying for fun anyway. Maybe some wide range pups.

I'm looking for best playability and best sustain. I've never used a JM styled bridge but I hear they are a bit wonky.

joeybsyc

With just a little bit of fine tuning the factory setup and sprinkled with few key upgrades.. a Vintage Modified can be an awesome first (or 2nd or 3rd or 4th) Jazzmaster too.

sleepingtiger

I haven't experienced a lot of them, but have had nothing but pleasure from my CIJ blocks & binding Jazzmaster. The only required update IMO is changing the pickups to American Vintage pickups, which I picked up for about $75 used. Even the stock bridge has caused no trouble with flatwound 10's. Brand new shipped from Ishibashi then upgraded pickups for about $850 total about 7-8 years ago. I've since added a red tortoise pickguard & cream pickup covers.

Tony

stephenyi

I have the j mascis, blacktop, and squier vm. I think the mascis makes the best first JM -- plays well out of the box and has the best neck.

phil esposito

Silver Supporting Member
I have the j mascis, blacktop, and squier vm. I think the mascis makes the best first JM -- plays well out of the box and has the best neck.
Thanks! What is the difference in the bridge set ups them? Does the Mascis have a better setup?

stephenyi

The mascis has gibson-like tuneomatic type bridge, decent but not really vintage accurate. The blacktop has a mustang type bridge that is also height adjustable. It required some adjustment and loctite to get rid of the buzzing. The VM bridge is the vintage JM type and most unstable. Mine is replaced with a mastery bridge.

wattage

I love my J Mascis Squier. I like that it has a tune-o-matic and the string angle at the bridge works out better for me since the trem is moved forward slightly. The neck is fantastic btw.

I swapped on Graphtech string trees, rewired with CTS pots and a Switchcraft jack and that's about it. It hangs with guitars far out of its class. I gig with it regularly and it never gives me any issues at all.

npfrs

I highly second Ridgeback - a good feeling VM with some upgrades puts you in the ballpark of true jazzy goodness.

phil esposito

Silver Supporting Member
I'm the first one to admit that "true jazzy goodness" isn't for everyone. It took me many years to appreciate that quirky harmonic thing and the offset appearance (I still have not found a Jag that floats my boat). I'm hooked on the JM now though.
I'm not after the traditional sound...I'd like something different so mods would be in the future .

blaster

I had a three and the J. Mascis was the best. It had the best neck too

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom