Jazzmaster anyone?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Laroosco!, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I had no intention of buying a new guitar anytime soon, but I was in a local music store today and stumbles across a Jazzmaster.

Damn is this a cool sounding guitar, and it plays great. It was cool because the store has a Route 66 in stock so I ws able to play it thru the same type of amp as I own.

I've been interested in these guitars for a while but was never able to spend much time with one until now.

Any of you own a Jazzmaster ever? Just curious.

Thanks

2. BPlexico

BPlexico Member

I have lusted after these for years - always been a big Television fan - but was never thrilled when I tried one in person. That being said it has been a few years since I have tried any of the re issues. Is this a 2005 model you tried? How was the neck and action on it, and the tones? Did you try clean or overdriven tones?

-- Barr

3. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I'm not sure what year it is.

The neck anction and tone were great. The bridge pickup seemed a little thin but still not bad.

I played clean and wwith some OD. Sounded great either way.

4. Antero

Antero Member

I want one just because I idolize Elvis Costello.

[​IMG]

5. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

My Chapin JBird (a Jazzmaster-style) is being delivered this week. Unfortunately, I'm 500 miles away until Friday night!!! DOHHH!!!

But I just can't wait! :)

6. eric102673

eric102673 Member

I have an AV Jazzmaster that I dig a whole bunch. It's worlds away from my usual guitars in both tone and the way i play it but it has a great sound all its own. Very full Fender type tone. Really bell like. Rings great and gets me thinking out of the box a lot. I've come up with quiote a few cool tunes just noodling around on it. It loves my Tone King Continental and an analog delay pedal in between. Kick in the slightest reverb and a little tremolo on the TK and sweet jesus, it sounds awesome.
    Had a Jag and couldn't hang with the scale or PUs in it. For the the Jazzmaster ended up feeling extremely comfortable and natural to play. I dig em a lot. I'd love to wrap my mitts around an old one but the prices keep on climbling. :(

-e.

7. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Pretty much the same way I feel about them. They have a sound and vibe all to themselves. I have a '58. The neck and both pickups together are my favorite settings into a BF Fender amp. Bridge only is kind of like a mellow P90, not strat or tele tone, but cool.

[​IMG]

8. roygbiv

roygbiv Member

I've always wanted to try a Jazzmaster. But the prices are high and going up. So, it's hard to justify the cash on an experiment. Are there any lower-priced options out there for a trial run? It seems like there are a million cheap strat and tele clones. Why no JMs?

9. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

Haven't check the new ones, I have a '59 slab board, etc, that sounds fantastic, the frets are very worn but still plays great, tone is really something else...:dude

10. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Put the Jazzmaster on layaway today. Should have it in a week or so.

It looks exactly like this one.

[​IMG]

11. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Here's my poor man's jazzmaster. ;)

[​IMG]

12. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I was also playing a Rocco along with the Jazzmaster.

Here's my old Rev.

[​IMG]