Jazzmaster: AVRI (US) vs. JM66 (Japan)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GuitarArt1980, Apr 7, 2015.

1. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

Looking hard at getting a Jazzmaster. I play indie garage rock with clean to medium gain sounds.

I've narrowed my search to these 2 options:
    American Vintage 65 Reissue
    JM66 CIJ

Can anyone tell me how they compare overall? I understand pickups are a weak point for the JM66. Anything else I need to know about these 2?

2. omfg51

omfg51 Member

A lot of people go with the Japanese ones and just swap out the electronics to save a little bit of cash.

I know that the AVRI will feature a thin nitro lacquer, however I'm not certain about the JM66, I'd guess that one is finished in poly.

3. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

Thanks. Yeah, I was also reading about people upgrading parts to the AVRI too, which made me think - why pay so much more for a guitar that needs upgrades anyway?

4. omfg51

omfg51 Member

As far as upgrades go, it's all in the eye of the beholder. Staytrem and Mastery bridge are two common hardware upgrades for both models.

To be fair, the AVRI really is a tremendous instrument, even stock.

You could also look into one of these...

http://www.fender.com/guitars/jazzmaster/60s-jazzmaster-lacquer/0141210757.html#start=1

http://www.fender.com/guitars/jazzmaster/road-worn-60s-jazzmaster/0144800300.html#start=1

5. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

The American JM's are great instruments and if you can spend that amount then go for it. A used AVRI 62 JM is also a great guitar that can be purchased for less than the 65. There is also the new Lacquer series that is MIM and is essentially the 62 JM just made in Mexico. Very well made and comes stock with great pickups unlike the MIJ model. I would get any of these before getting a MIJ JM.

6. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

Thanks for the info. So should I expect the Lacquer model to be "stickier" vs the others? I like the feel of natural/thin finish

7. zeppfan1

zeppfan1 Member

I just got a J.Mascis Jazzmaster. It has upgraded wiring and Curtis Novak p/ups and it sounds great. It is a really great instrument and even without the upgrades is highly regarded for it's price point. It does have a TOM bridge, so I'm not sure how true you want to stay to the original jazzy design. Have fun in your search :)