Jazzmaster bridge question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Fndrman, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Fndrman

Fndrman Member

When I bought my JM, it had a tuneomatic bridge on it. I left it on when I restored it, but even though the guitar sounds good, it doesn't seem to have the vintage twang that it should. Could that tuneomatic have anything to do with that? Thanks.

2. Fauxkinbacker

Fauxkinbacker Member

Maybe if the type of metal was a little strange (like cheap pot-metal or something). I think the standard JM bridge is chrome-plated brass, which would certainly have a lot of twang.
    It might also have something to do with the break angle over the bridge - if it's very shallow, that would limit the highs.
    Is this a vintage piece by chance?

3. Fndrman

Fndrman Member

No, the bridge is not vintage. It's the flat, rectangular type, which may be a bit shallow, about 1''x3/7/16". It's pretty dense and heavy...I might eventually get the Mustang bridge.

4. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

the crappy proper Jazzmaster bridge certainly add more twang.
    I have several TOM instruments and did have my own RI Jazzmaster for many years. I also more recently had the opportunity to use a friend of mine's vintage, pre CBS Jazzmaster.

a) I like the solidness of the TOM the best
    b) the vintage Jazzmaster certainly sounded better than my RI, and there was more to it than "vibe" as the idiot at the store described the $3000 difference between them. Although I do think part of the difference was 30 years of corrosion which had fused the bridge height adjustment screws solidly to the upper bridge assembly, thus locking in the height, but preventing the annoying rattle.
    c) I do love Jazzmasters, but the bridge is ill concieved. Assuming you can get it well set up, and keep it in the right position to maintain intonation, and you like a bit of jangle in your tone though, you've come to the right place.

5. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Those of us who love jazzmasters thank you and all the members of the "crappy bridge" club on the internet. As long as they remain unpopular you can still get a vintage JM for less than a top end PRS. :RoCkIn

6. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

yes, but even the vintage JM's are getting dear. $6000 for nice pre-cbs models around me.

7. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

You can still get 3 and a half of them for the price of a nice strat though... :NUTS

8. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

true enough.
    and perhaps a big part of it is the bridge.
    they do sound awesome though.

9. Fndrman

Fndrman Member

A couple years ago I was lucky enough to find mine for $350.00. Unfortunately, someone took out the original pickups and put humbuckers in it. I replaced them with Seymour Duncan quarter pounders.