Jazzmaster cap and pots question?

joafink2

Silver Supporting Member
I have a squier j mascis jazzmaster. I changed out the pickups to a Novak JMV neck and JM90 bridge. The JMV is a jazzmaster neck pickup and the JM90 is a P90 fit for a jazzmaster. I’m finding the highs ice picky with the 1 meg pots on the P90.

What pots and caps should I use to warm up or darken the tone?

I was thinking 2 CTS 500k pots with a .022 cap? Is this a good idea or should I mix values of pots or go with a different cap to achieve a warmer less harsh sound?

Ron Kirn

I'd give the 500K a shot, and be ready to move on to 250K
But remember ya have 50k and 1 meg in the rhythm wiring you may want to address too. However since it so rarley usesd perhaps not..

but you're not going to hurt anything trying different caps and pots.. there will be no explosions..

r

joafink2

Silver Supporting Member
I'd give the 500K a shot, and be ready to move on to 250K
But remember ya have 50k and 1 meg in the rhythm wiring you may want to address too. However since it so rarley usesd perhaps not..

but you're not going to hurt anything trying different caps and pots.. there will be no explosions..

r
Thanks for the response. I have never used the rhythm circuit. Do you think I should disconnect it altogether or just leave it and try the 500k with .022? Also, any caps you’d recommend? Orange drop or PIO?

woodymq

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the response. Any opinion on caps? Orange drop or PIO?
Value of .022 would be my choice. Not sold on the whole cap type argument, other than make sure you buy from a reputable manufacturer that has good tolerances on their values.

Ron Kirn

yeah. don't sweat the type of cap only the value is important, but sometimes ya just like to know there;s a Ferrari engine under the hood even through ya can't see it.. I'd say the Orange Drop would check all the right boxes...

as for the rythm circuit.. it;s noit hurting aything, you may as well leave it as it is..

r

joafink2

Silver Supporting Member
yeah. don't sweat the type of cap only the value is important, but sometimes ya just like to know there;s a Ferrari engine under the hood even through ya can't see it.. I'd say the Orange Drop would check all the right boxes...

as for the rythm circuit.. it;s noit hurting aything, you may as well leave it as it is..

r

What if I just increase the cap value? Maybe get an .047 or .1 with the 1 meg pots? Would that tame some of the brightness? Or would that just affect the high end roll off on the tone knob?

Ron Kirn

Maybe get an .047 or .1

the larger the value the more bassy it'll be... but you cannot hurt anything trying different caps.. and the ceramics are inexpensive, so buy a box full, and when you find one ya like, get something you will be a little happier with, an Orange Drop or similar..

when trying different caps, just wire two leads to where the ends of the cap would normally be, let them hang out from under the Pickguard... that way you can quickly change from one to the next without having to remove the pickguard every time.. and I'm sure some cork sniffer will tell ya that not a good way to do it... Bull.. it couldn matter less if you popped it open every time you wanted to make a change..

r

Last edited:

Trending Topics