• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Jazzmaster Fans, How "un"Jazzmaster is the MIM Classic Player?

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
I know this model can be a bit divisive among JM fans, but they are getting pretty affordable used, and my experience with MIM Fenders has been pretty good. I know the trem is closer to the bridge, it has a crappy TOM, and the neck angle is increased, but do these destroy most of the tonal character in an attempt to fix perceived issues? The hot pickups would probably be replaced, and Staytrem makes a replacement bridge, but obviously the trem placement is fixed.

Drmojoxl

Gold Supporting Member
FWIW I love mine. It plays great and sounds wonderful. I replaced the pickups and am very happy. I'm don't really care if it is "true vintage" or not.

It's an affront to the spirit of vintage Jazzmasters.

That said, they're great guitars. Pickups are a touch hotter than vintage specs. I like them.

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for your opinions. I really like that sort of rubbery, "spy music" thing that JM's do on the lower strings, and I know a lot of that is the distance between bridge and trem and the neck angle.

True, but I'd be willing to bet one would be hard pressed to discern the difference in "jangley-ness" unless playing the two back-to-back. I think it sounds like a jazzmaster.

redchapterjubilee

Silver Supporting Member
Classic players are fine guitars. They are not vintage spec but your mileage may vary as to how positive or distracting it is. i have four jazzmasters: two AVRI's, one CIJ and one Classic Player. It hangs with the others just fine. Take it, I did switch out the bridge and pickups but I've done that with the other three as well.

fishlog

Silver Supporting Member
I have a cp jag and JM... I actually like them better than spec correct versions. And to be honest most of that has to do with the tun-o-matic bridge. I had so many problems with a jag that had a vintage correct bridge. I did find that the cp jag sounds more jag-ish than the cp jazzmaster sounded JM-ish. The cp jazzmaster can really growl. Pretty big sound.

Dave1

The cp is a great guitar with below average pickups. I like all of the cp changes to the classic formula, but I did change out the pickups on mine.

Turi

My Squier JMJM (not a CP I know) has the trem shifted closer to the bridge, and the bridge is also a TOM bridge.
The TOM bridge isn't crap, it's great and it works. The strings being shifted closer to the bridge helps them stay in place too.
Just wanted to throw in that I think those two things are great and it'll still have loads of those Jazzmaster overtones/harmonics too - I'm assuming that's about all people could say is different tonally - those sounds are still their and the behind-the-bridge playing is still awesome.

I wouldn't bother replacing the pickups until you play them, mess with them, and decide you don't like them.
The pickups on my Squier surprised me - I love them. The CP Fender might do the same for you.

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks, again. I really appreciate the opinions. I may have found a CP locally that seems like a good deal.

geek-mo

Silver Supporting Member
The hot pickups would probably be replaced, and Staytrem makes a replacement bridge, but obviously the trem placement is fixed.
I replaced the pickups and am very happy. I'm don't really care if it is "true vintage" or not.
The cp is a great guitar with below average pickups. I like all of the cp changes to the classic formula, but I did change out the pickups on mine.
I love mine. It is one of my all-time favorite guitars. I didn't really care for the harsh mid spike that the hotter, stock pickups produced, so I put low output Seymour Duncan pickups in mine. It sounds great and is FUN to play!

I'll let the vintage-correct folks care about vintage correctness. For my part, I don't care.

Astronaut FX

Gold Supporting Member
I think it depends on what you want out of it. If you just like the appearance and the vibe of the JM, then this model likely won't disappoint you, though you may decide on some minor mods.

If you truly want the tone of an authentic JM, then this model won't get you 100% there. But it'll be very much in the ballpark.

Only you can say for sure what you want out of it. If you're only going to be happy with the full on classic JM tone, you might be better off with an AVRI.

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
I found a CP on Reverb with a Staytrem bridge already installed with the proper radius for a good deal, and the seller happened to be in my area. He knocked $75 more off for local pickup.

I'm impressed. Nice neck, nice weight, great vibrato and the stock pickups aren't all that bad. Thanks, again for the info.

Trending Topics