Jazzmaster For Blues?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bloozman, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

Anyone playing the blues with a Jazzmaster?..How do you like it?...
    thanks in advance..Bloozman

2. snarkle

snarkle Member

Perversely, my CIJ J Mascis Jazzmaster works really well for playing Muddy-inspired slide in open G tuning...who would have thought!

Now if I could only find a matching suit...

3. oscar100

oscar100 Member

anything be ok for teh blues if you feel it :)

4. saltydog3317

saltydog3317 Member

I saw a guy at the Ottawa Blues Festival playing one. Not sure who he was but it sounded great.

5. mr tom

mr tom Supporting Member

Magic Slim and Eddie C. Campbell have built their careers on Jazzmasters - signature instruments for both of them. You can hear the JM on virtually any and all of their recordings.

They count a heck of a lot more than I do (but I play blues on a JM, too, and love it!).

6. mr tom

mr tom Supporting Member

Kenny Parker, from Detroit - used to play with The Butler Twins and had a solo record on JSP - is another blues JM player (he also liked P90 guitars).

7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I only play blues (badly though), and frequently do so on my JM. It's fantastic. The JM pickups are quite P-90ish, so the warm neck and harmonically-rich middle positions are especially great for nice emotive blues tones. I have always proclaimed that JMs are far more tonally versatile than many would assume.

8. japhy

japhy Member

I walked into a pawn shop in the mid '80s , having saved my money for a quite a while , to buy a pre CBS Jazzmaster . I had seen Magic Slim several times and wanted that guitar because I was a big MS fan at the time . Anyway , I asked the guy behind the counter to pull it off the wall for me as I laid the money on the counter . He looks at the floor and says , " Slim called an hour ago and said he wanted it , so I cant sell it to you " He pulled the guitar down and took it to the back room .
    I was heart broken , but it was probably better off with Slim anyway.

9. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

Duuuuuh...Forgot about Magic Slim:rolleyes::crazy

10. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I like mine for slide, since they seem to like heavier strings anyway. But I play blues and roots-rock on it.

11. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

They will work. A couple of years ago, I saw Al Kooper play an excellent version of Little Wing on his Jazz Master - sounded pretty darn bluesy to me.

12. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

My first guitar was a Jazzmaster (in '63, yikes!). I played a lot of rock through the first couple of decades but blues became my style by around '69 and I've developed into a pure blues player since. I can't speak to the reissues, but I played a lot of blues on my Jazzmaster. Wish I had it back.