Jazzmaster help - set up, tweaks and replacements

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bradders, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Bradders

Bradders Member

I love my Jazzmaster - ......

That said - I hae a couple of little quicrks with it that I'd love some help/advise with if anyone cares to chime in...

After having it professionall set up to the point where it was a dream, sound and feel wise, it wasn't long at all before it seems to need it again! Couple of buzzing notes - stuff like that. I know the nut, saddles, bridge and trem are all potential pain-points along with string gagues etc so my question is specifically - what kind of things have you / do you folks do that makes the whole bridge/saddles/action/trem thing more dependable?

I've heard of things like a drop of crazy glue on the bridge posts, higher gague strings, replacing the bridge, doing things with the saddles etc as being potential fixes but what I am after is a check list of things to do to make this AWESOME sounding, feeling, looking guitar a bit more dependable? Seems like teh JM is a guitar that operates on a real knife-edge as far as balance goes.......

cheers and peace to all.
    Bradz.

2. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member

I play two vintage Jazzmasters and one parts-built replica. On my '66 (which happens to be for sale), I have installed the BuzzStop, and a replacement bridge with Mustang saddles that have been machined flat to create a 'drop-off':

[​IMG]

This eliminates buzzing and string slipping.

On my '63 and the partscaster, I simply replaced the vintage bridge with the one available from warmoth.com. It has Mustang type saddles with height adjustment screws, and I have to say it works perfectly for me. I prefer this simpler system to the Buzzstop, as it does not create interference with the action, feel of the tremolo, nor does it kill the harmonic overtones that make a JM sound so cool.

I run .11 strings on all 3 JM's (and all other electrics for that matter), and I have absolutely no problem with buzzing, slipping, detuning, deintonating, or any other "ing"s.

3. KJC

KJC Member

There are many different mods that JM and JAG players make on their guitars. To my knowledge, the most common mod is the bridge/saddles. Many go with a Mustang bridge to get away from the grooved saddles that come on the factory bridges. Some replace the saddles with Graph-Techs and report better intonation and even improved sustain.

Here are couple of really useful places to go:

Try this link...it's an awesome site with tons of useful info.

http://www.webrocker.de/jaguar/cms/2007/05/12/setup-for-jaguar-and-jazzmaster/

You can also check out the Surf Guitar 101 Forum....

http://www.surfguitar101.com - The guys and gals there are very knowledgeable and extremely courteous...whether you're using your axe to play surf or not, someone there will be able to answer any question you might have about your guitar should you need advice on your guitar and its function.

That should get you going in the right direction!

Best of luck...Keary

4. brad347

brad347 Member

I use .012s on mine and don't have any problems. I went with Graph Tech saddles for awhile but I'm about to go back to the originals because they sound better. I'll probably get a replacement set and file a deeper notch in each one to prevent popping out of the notch (don't want to deface the rare original 1962 gold saddles).

5. Bradders

Bradders Member

much appreciates people - thanks for the insights and there's definitely some easy things to try in there. again - -appreciate the pointers.

Bradz.

6. HandOfTheHost

HandOfTheHost Member

7. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member

That's crazy looking, great idea though.:BEER[/quote]

Thanks, but it's not my doin'. That is the work of luthier Billy Chapman of Columbia, SC. He is the guitar tech for Hootie and the Blowfish and has been the "go to" repair guy around here for years. He likes Jazzmasters.

8. oakst8

oakst8 Member

I just had someone file deeper gaps into the saddles of my CIJ JM and now the strings aren't jumping at all. It was only necessary for the low E and A. I had a tech do it since I was going in for a setup anyway, but I'm sure a competent person could do it on their own.

Easy and effective.

9. lalalandstudios

lalalandstudios Member

10. 8Painting

8Painting Member

Yeah you should probably get that patented, seriously.

Why didnt anyone else think of that?!

11. Carli28

Carli28 Member

I use 10 - 52 strings. I must recommend you to use heavy E - A strings. It's heaven. Mine is kind og baritone-sounding.

The Jazzmaster is a love/hate guitar. I have a lot of buzzing. Sometimes i hate it, and then I pick up my tele and feel good.
    But sometimes I'm in a strange Jazzmaster mood, and then it takes my playing way further than the tele will ever do.. :)

Point is, don't fight the buzzing. Learn to love it!