Jazzmaster Hosco(Japan-made) Trem vs. Fender JM bridge

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by edgie, Mar 2, 2012.

1. edgie

edgie Member

Anyone knows the difference in materials, if there's any? I found out from the guy I bought my trem from that the one that came with my Jazzmaster project is a Hosco unit. It does seem to have that provision for the locking function because it has the elongated hole for it but it doesn't have the sliding mechanism.
    http://www.hosco.co.jp/HOSCO_ENGLISH/index.html

2. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

I have used these many times, same unit Allparts sells. There is no lockout feature, but the trem arm is just a push in and can be removed. It works every bit as good as the Fender one for a fraction of the cost. Remember, the JM trem system is not designed well in the first place:)

3. edgie

edgie Member

Thanks for your input Chris! It's nice to know that you consider this to be a quality product and that you use it for your guitars. Is it normal for the jm's trem bar to be loose that if I move around, it tends to fall off? Or can I press it much harder in so that it stays more secure? I never had a jm before and the ones I tried at shops don't have their trem bars installed so I'm surprised that it's that loose.

4. drolling

drolling Member

That's how the trem on my '90s CIJ Jazzmaster works; I occasionally wrap the bar's end in plumber's tape, or better still, a bit of adhensive backed copper foil for a tighter fit, but the arm still falls out from time to time

Originals and American-made reissues I've played are quite similar in construction - Like another poster said, not Leo's best design ever..

They SOUND so friggin' cool, tho'.. Well worth the effort, IMO

5. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

There is actually a collar that can be adjusted from the bottom. You have to take the trem out of the body to adjust it though. When the strings are off just take out the 4 screws and you will see it. I have mine set so the arm is stiff and does not easily swing. There is not a lot of companies making these things.

6. edgie

edgie Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll surely do either one of your suggestions when I change the strings on it.