Jazzmaster info please! :)

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by theanalogdream, Jul 27, 2008.

1. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

Hey,
    I'm looking at getting some sort of vintage Jazzmaster relic something along the lines of Nash, K-line, Senn, Revelator, etc (although I believe Nash doesn't do the J-style anymore...)
    I have heard people complain about Jazzmasters, specifically regarding the bridge...Can anyone go into a little more detail about the pro's and con's of a Jazzmaster, details, history, and who could make a good relic copy for a decent price (1200ish max)
    thanks!

2. dylmit

dylmit Silver Supporting Member

The Jazzmaster bridge is problematic for a couple of reasons. First, the strings sometimes pop off because there's not enough downward tension on the bridge. Second, the bridge tends to rattle. These issues can be solved a number of ways, one of which is a bridge replacement. This is what I did on my Jazzmaster

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2008
  3. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Two ways, one is to use a Mustang bridge or a buzz stop roller as said above. My Jazzmaster has a JM bridge and a buzz stop, Lollar pups, and wired with 500K pots and the rhythm circuit disconnected. No problems. $1200 ish is tough, go for a used AVRI and upgrade a few things.

4. ricoh

ricoh Member

Yep, the easy way to get the JM to behave

5. Addicted toEF86

Addicted toEF86 Member

Yeah, but you kill the string overtones that happen behind the bridge. That's a key component of the Jazzmaster sound.

Go with a Mustang bridge.

JUST SAY NO to buzzstops.

6. haslar

haslar Member

Absolutely right, IMHO.

7. thesooze

thesooze Member

Will a tune-o-matic bridge accomplish the same thing as a Mustang bridge / a buzzstop?

8. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

I think it would but then you have to do some hole filling and re-drilling. The mustang bridge is more for the tone but the buzz stop helps with the weirdness on the trem side of the bridge.

9. Strat

Strat Member

I use JM pretty much as my main instrument anymore and have no bridge problems ( AVRI thinskin - Sea Foam Green of course...).

It requires a lighter right hand than you would use to bash an SG so as not tp push the string off the bridge but even then you can hit it pretty hard once you play it enough to get to know it. Watching Nels cline thrash on his is a little deceiving as while there is a lot of energy going into his rapid tremelo picking he's not pushing or digging into the string that hard - staying on top.

I tried a buzzstop just to see and removed it as it did change some of the zing that only a JM can give. So in my use of a JM the past 4 years it's not the bridge that will give you fits - it's getting the trem bar right.

10. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

I had a mustang bridge on mine, worked like a charm. if you use heavier gauge strings, you might get away with the stock bridge.

11. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

A Buzzstop on my '59 does the trick for me. I like to be able to dig in without the strings popping off the saddles or buzzing. Better sustain and vibration transfer, at the expense of some behind the bridge ghost overtones.....well worth it IMHO.

[​IMG]

12. flickerbot

flickerbot Member

An even cheaper way to go about it is just buying the Mustang saddles- I bought some "relic" saddles on ebay for 20 bucks and popped them on- fixed the problem of string jumping completely and for a few bucks less than a bridge replacement...

but look into Creston Electrics- they might be a little above the mark on your budget but not much...