Jazzmaster love?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by slopeshoulder, Apr 20, 2008.

1. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I'm thinking of getting a Jazzmaster. I'd have one made for me by my guitar maker guy, with Duncan or Lollar pickups. Can you answer a few questions please?

What do you love about the Jazzmaster? Vs. say strats and teles?
    Would you string it with .11's? I'd like to.
    Would you install a Mustang bridge?
    would you lock the trem or actually use it?
    They're made of poplar, right?

And, if it were available, would you like a Strat that has Jazzmaster pickups, rather than an actual Jazzmaster?

Thanks for any advice.

2. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

I'd recommend getting an AVRI and deciding what you like and don't like about them and then getting something made for you that solves the things you don't like. If you buy a used one, you can flip it without a loss. they sell well right now.

As to what I like. I set my own up (jazz and jag) and have NONE of the problems folks complain about. 11s on the JM and 12s on the Jag. No buzz. My strings don't jump out of the saddles. Trem stays in tune, and because of my kids I play alot of spooky halloween surf tunes. I pull on that thing like if I do it hard and fast enough I'm gonna win something!

As to your strat with JM pickups question, why do you want a JM? If it's for the sound, a strat won't cover it. the bridge is critical for the JM sound. If you want a JM for the looks, then a custom made one with a strat trem would make sense, but a bigsby would come closer to the JM surf wiggle trem sound without the problems some complain about. Most of those problems are with japanese for a number of design reasons we don't need to get into.

Pickups? The sky is the limit. One of the best sounding JMs I've played had a Novak P90 style JM pickup in the bridge. It didn't sound like a P90. It was an outstanding hotter JM sound. I'm sticking with my stock AVRIs because they sound great and I'd rather spend my money on pedals and things...

I can't stress enough that a properly set up one doesn't have issues. Get a used one, get it set up by someone who knows JMs, figure out if you want the bridge, and then have your custom one made. I know what my custom would be. Korina body with natural finish, black pickguard, ebony board. Like a 58 V or explorer! :RoCkIn If I built it myself it wouldn't be that expensive. Just don't have the time right now.

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

1. It's far more versatile than most believe, going from the signature surf twang to killer fat blues/rock tones to surprisingly great jazzy tones from the neck....it is a Jazzmaster after all! And it looks so damn cool and is very comfortable to play.

2. Yes. 11s. Perfect.

3. With 11s, the stock bridge will give zero problems. Stick with it for function and tradition.

4. I normally keep it locked but works great.

5. Always thought it was alder or ash, but could be poplar. I just know it sounds great!

6. Say what?!! A strat w/JM pickups?!! Blasphemy!!! The builder of such a monstrosity should be flushed from the village by townspeople bearing torches!

4. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member

Just about everything- shape, balance, looks,
    especially the action and tone.
    Yes- .11s
    I like the Mustang bridge sold by Warmoth-some saddles adjustable
    Use the trem
    Ash or alder (the old ones)

No.

I play two JMs from the 60's and I am currently putting one together with Novaks.

5. OOG

OOG Member

i just got a J Mascis
    and i love it

i play 11's on my strat and acoustics with 12's to 14's but on this guitar, the stock 9's that it came with are working for me
    which is quite a surprise

the trem holds tune quite well

might go with Lollars but so far i'm really digging the sound of the stock PU's

this one's bass but i think the super thick finish has a lot to do with the sound

6. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Member

What's the neck like on the J Mascis, thick or thin?

7. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Thanks very much for the detailed respones! 11's and Warmouth bridge it is.

8. OOG

OOG Member

i chose between 4
    got the thinest flatest necked one

in general
    i'd say more towards thin but not extremely
    keep in mind that mine is a CIJ J Mascis
    with big frets
    wihich i usually don't like but i am liking them on this guitar

the tuneomatic works really well and this guitar can go from super twang to Jim Hall
    with the flip of a switch

the discustingly white plastic parts are soaking in some really strong expresso as i write this
    that's the only thing i don't LOVE about this guitar
    :JAM

9. Dumo

Dumo Supporting Member

J Mascis with Lollars for me. The neck is medium. Definitely not thin but it plays fast with the jumbo frets.

10. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

by the end of the year the new Thin Skins are supposed to come out, i think the '58s? Rumors have it that one will be the Olympic White w/matching headstock and gold pickguard. too cool.

11. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

wow..I'm gonna wait for one. I was gonna buy one now, but Now I'll wait..Thanks

12. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

The tone and look.
    At least and flatwound
    No. Never. The stock bridge works perfectly.
    Use it or lose it.
    They're made out of what every other Fender have always been made out of: Alder or Ash.

13. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

No prob, since they were limited release last year by Wildwood Guitars, Music Machine Guitars, and Dave's Guitars, i figure the same holds true this year, you can probably contact any of the 3 directly and they can tell you the details and put you on a mailing FYI list.

14. ricoh

ricoh Member

They look cool too!!!!