Jazzmaster Pickups: Grey versus Black bobbin

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 12strings, Jan 27, 2012.

1. 12strings

12strings Member

Hi, what are the main differences between vintage grey and black bobbin Jazzmaster pickups?

2. starfish

starfish Member

Having a '64 olympic white with grey pups and a '61 sunburst slab board with black pups, I can tell you from experience that the '61 is louder and warmer while the '64 is a bit more glassy and sounds like the archetypical surf JM.

I think the black pups are definitely stronger. Perhaps the magnet material is different or they are wound more hot. But the windings, which were done by hand at that time, can vary from pup to pup and set to set, not just between model years. If you are planning to build a JM, with vintage or aftermarket, or even replace a single pup, keep in mind that each JM pup in a set is supposed to be wired in reverse polarity from each other, opposite winding directions, in order to get the hum cancellation in the middle toggle position.

3. Less=more

Less=more Member

I don't know the answer to the above question but I put Lollar P-90's in my 86 MIJ Jazzmaster. I absolutely love the sound now.