Jazzmaster pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by leofenderbender, Jul 5, 2006.

1. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Member

I just reacquired a Jazzmaster - a CIJ model with the stock Japanese quasi-strat Jazzmaster pickups.

What pickups are you using? Duncans? Lollars?

What is good for old & new American surf?

2. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

AVRI's are good -- very clean, somewhat bright
    Lollars are awesome (using those now.) Not as birght or as clean as the AVRIs (which is good, imo.) More detail, too.
    I have a fairly large pile of Curtis Novak pickups I'm hoping to try out in the next week or so. His neck pickup is fantastic -- big & warm & clear. I didn't like his P-90 style bridge, but he took a few thousand winds off & sent it back -- as well as like 8 other bridge pickups. As well as the P-90, there're 2 vintage winds, a PAF style or two, a Charlie Christian style (I think both a blade & with slugs) and I can't remember what else.

I really want to photo them all & record clips. Mezcalhead suggested I figure out some kind of connector system so I'm not rewiring constantly. I'm trying to figure out how to do that, but I haven't had a chance to go to rat shack yet.

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I like the American Fender JM pups as well, and their inherant brightness can be well tamed by switching to lower pot values. I know of someone who did so and was ecstatic with the results.

4. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

Crazyquilt, I was thinking of something really simple, since it's just temporary .. like these crimp-on quick-disconnects:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104091&cp=2032058.2032231.2032283&parentPage=family

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2294966&cp=2032058.2032231.2032283&parentPage=family

As for the original question: Fender AVRIs, SD Antiquities, Novaks and Lollars are all fairly well thought of as CIJ JM pup replacements .. Lollar will wind to taste, so if you have a particular sound in mind it might be worth talking to him. Novak also has JM-shaped P90s and HBs, which don't sound like what you're looking for but I just thought I'd mention them because it's a very clever idea.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to CQ's Novak pup shootout ..

5. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Member

Following a reasonable search, I've not found a lot of options for JM pickups out there. With the exception of Duncans, even fewer reviews of what IS out there.

Jazzmasters just don't have the following of other Fender guitars - but like a strat and a tele, they have their own tone, their own timbre that makes it worth seeking the best. I took AVRIs out of my last Jazzmaster and replaced them with a Duncan quarter pounder bridge, and a 1960 preCBS neck. The neck was fine - I definitely want to stick with vintage values for JM pickups - the quarter pounder bridge was way too hot for much JM vibe.

And CrazyQuilt, be sure and keep us apprised of the results of the pickup shootout - I could find absolutely no review of Lollars - only one review of Novaks on Harmony Central, who knows if the opinion is confirmable? Your opinion is welcome. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Of course, any other ideas/experience would be strongly appreciated too...

6. Jetsetsc

Jetsetsc Member

I got a Lollar bridge pickup to match the original '66 neck pickup in my pink Jazzmaster (original had been swapped for a mini HB). Sounds phenomenal - better than the real '63's in my other JM, and much more interesting than the fairly sterile AVRI's. Highly recommended,and not too much $$. Beware of Duncans, they sound fine if you get a pair (esp the Ant II's), but are wound the reverse of original and other aftermarket PU's so you will have phase/polarity/hum-cancelling issues if you mix them with non-Duncans.
    -John
    http://www.thejennifers.com/johnsgtrs.jpg

7. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Member

The Lollar sounds better than PreC Fender? If I may impose, in what way? PLEASE expand... :drool

Thanks!

8. dumb donnie

dumb donnie Member

What pot values are you guys using with Lollars?

9. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Member

10. Jetsetsc

Jetsetsc Member

I dunno exactly - I have a choice as to which axe I pick up and consistently go for the one with the Lollar. A list of un-quantifiable, subjective adjectives would include; more musical feel, a little more vocally midrange, better "vibe". Maybe I have a less-than-stellar pre-CBS pickup in the other guitar. Or maybe it's the pink finish playing tricks on my ears.
    -J

11. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Member

Thanks for the update - looks like I need a paint job. :)

I think I'll be popping for the Lollars!

12. george4908

george4908 Member

13. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

I can not recommend the Lollar's highly enough. I replaced the pu's on my 63 (neck pu original stock, bridge pu was a 65) with the Lollars over a year ago and have fallen in love with this guitar all over again. Great classic JM tone with enhanced spank and sparkle. I did not change the stock pots, just cleaned them.
    Jason Lollar is a Jazzmaster guy. He has his own and loves it. The love shows through on these pick ups. He GETS the Jazzmaster.
    Absolutely brilliant!

14. Jetsetsc

Jetsetsc Member

Thanks. You'll notice they all have trems - even the 12-string ;)
    -J

15. lydog

lydog Member

any further insight by folks about this thread? picked up an AVRI a while back. digging it more and more, but it still needs that extra "mojo" and I'm thinking Lollars might be what I'm looking for.

also using flatwound 13s. wondering if those particular strings are affecting my playing. my hands fatigue a bit quicker when I'm playing them, but I've heard that gauge is recommended to eliminate buzzing on JMs. (i suppose a $7 investment and some time to change stings is worthwhile!)

16. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

If you're serious about playing the Jazzmaster you have to have a buzz stop, then you can go down to 11s and even 10s.

http://www.guitar-parts.com/products/764/Buzz-Stop.htm