Jazzmaster Questions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by scott757, Feb 28, 2012.

1. scott757

scott757 Supporting Member

At some point in the next year I intend on buying a Jazzmaster. I've played the Classic Player before but I've never played the 62 reissue. I know that the '62 has a 7.25 neck radius as opposed to the 9.5 neck on the CP. This may be a silly question but since I've never played one I'd like to know where you feel the difference. I've looked at side by side pics of the two guitars and the fret board doesn't look noticeably wider. So where do you feel the difference? Thanks for humoring me.

2. mbargav

mbargav Member

Bending. Most of my guitars are 7.25 radius, and every time I play one with 9.5 radius, the first thing that strikes me is how much easier bending is. You can work around this some setting the action higher on a 7.25 radius necked guitar.

3. scott757

But do you really see the difference with how thick it is? Or is the curve different? I've just never really compared necks on guitars this closely before so I'm not sure where the extra size is.

4. mbargav

mbargav Member

The curve is different; you feel it rather than see it.

5. scott757

Oh...cool thanks.

6. mbargav

mbargav Member

Just for reference:

[​IMG]

Can you see why it'd be easier to bend as the radius gets flatter?

FWIW, I have an AVRI JM, and it's a really sweet guitar. I bought it used for $1100, I think.

7. TrainBridge

TrainBridge Member

Thin skin jazzys are 9.5 radius and are in the same price range as AVRI but in cooler colors.

8. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

The CP Jazzmaster has also addressed issues such as the rubbish original-style wobbly bridge and the stupidly shallow break-angle over it, which meant that you had no option but to use heavy strings so that they wouldn't keep jumping off! Little wonder there are so many after-market mods available to owners of originals and reissues.

For me the CP model has turned a guitar that dictated to you what you did with it, into a very playable instrument. Cash-flow permitting I'd buy one tomorrow.

9. english_bob

english_bob Member

The radius is to do with the amount of curve in the fretboard, nothing to do with the width or depth of the neck. Mbargav is right, you'll feel it most when you bend strings (like you're pushing the string uphill rather than just sideways), but if you were to sight down the neck you should see that it's more humped in the middle than a larger radius board would be.

FWIW, I find the smaller radius necks very comfortable for chording, but big bends choke out unless the action is set relatively high (although it doesn't need to be lap-steel high), which is why you don't find tight radius fretboards on "shred" guitars for the most part. IMO, that slightly higher action is nicer for bendier styles anyway.

10. Groberts

Groberts Silver Supporting Member

I love the vibe of the Jazzmaster. Quite a versatile sounding guitar. Are there any issues to be aware of regarding Classic Players? Do they CP Jazzmasters require or take well to any sort of upgrading? Or are they good to go bone Stock!?

11. BurgundyMist

BurgundyMist Member

Just what I was about to say!

12. hikingbear

hikingbear Member

Most of the time I play rhythm(chords). For me 7.25 and 9.5 doesn't really make any difference. Although I feel big difference in Gibson SG which is 12 radius.

13. Groberts

Groberts Silver Supporting Member

Where can I find some Thin Skin JazzMasters to check out? How are they different from Classic Player JM's?

14. GA20T

GA20T Member

I bought used, with the intention of swapping pups & bridge etc. Despite the changes I made (Mastery, Pickup Wizzard FormVar pups), the guitar stayed in tune and the pickups sounded great when it was stock. The only complaint I had was that the TOM style bridge rattled (easily fixed with clear nail polish) and the break-angle was still a tad shallow. I ended up shimming my neck a hair, and in addition to the tone/sustain improving, it got rid of a lot of the weird random sympathetic-but-out-of-tune overtones caused by the strings vibrating behind the saddles.

Other than above said issues, it is a great-playing/sounding/looking guitar. Guys around here are always going on about fit and finish of $$$ guitars, but I'm hard pressed to imagine it getting any better than with my particular CP JM. I love the fret size, neck shape and radius. Other than the limited colour options, it doesn't leave me wanting for a more expensive model, though I would wager the quality of woods/number of pieces has a positive effect in some higher dollar models.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  15. radiohead625

radiohead625 Member

I'm pretty sure you can only find them used except wildwood and dave's guitars. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they only have one color left. I've been searching for a sonic blue thinskin for a while.

16. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Supporting Member

Is it against forum rules to direct someone to another forum? I hope not.
    Go lurk over @ offsetguitars.com forum for a while - tons of great information over there.

For what it's worth, I think those CP Jazzys are pretty cool for the money,
    but I really don't like that they've changed the trem placement on 'em-
    I know it helps the break angle, but I like to play behind the bridge a fair amount,
    and it changes that sound dramatically - and not for the better.
    and like any MIM Fender, the hardware is not as good, and that's a big deal
    when you're talking about a trem like the Jazzmaster has.
    I'll recommend MIM Strats and especially Teles all the time - hell, even Squier Classic Vibes,
    but with a Jazzmaster it's worth the money to buy American, imo.
    I also don't care for the hotter CP pickups, but that's all to taste.

best bet is to find a used AVRI or Thin Skin and stick a Mastery bridge on it.
    Trem will work perfectly, break angle and intonation are dead on, much more sustain-
    that's a helluva guitar. The stock pickups (AVRI in both) sound quite good, too.

17. serial

serial Member

DO NOT buy a Jazzmaster (vintage style/vintage) without playing it first through an amp. Jazzmasters are one of the greatest-looking designs I think, but judging by how many people on these forums buy them and flip them, I'd guess that most aren't familiar with the breed. It's an acquired taste for sure (I happen to love them). A Jazzmaster is not an intuitive guitar like a Strat, Tele or Les Paul would be.
    Here's my '65. Whipped for a reason.
    [​IMG]

18. Jloveland87

Jloveland87 Member

What do you mean by "shimming the neck"? I am about to buy a used japanese JM (probably today) and I'm curious about the same issues with the bridge and such..

Did the mastery solve all of the bridge issues? Or is a buzz stop "good enough" to get the job done?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  19. mbargav

mbargav Member

Check this thread: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=840794

20. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Love my jazzmaster (it was a parts build from TGP's own SUPERLEAD) but wish I would have done more homework before getting into them.

They are demanding beasts! but worth it.

I have a 9.5" radius, full "C", 6105 frets. I changed pots twice (from 1meg to 500k to 250k) and ripped out the rhythm circuit. I have an aged mustang bridge in it (outer saddles shimmed to match the neck radius a bit better) and a shim in the neck pocket.

offsetguitars.com is a good forum to check out too.