Jazzmaster-Strat hybrid, anyone ever done this?

Whereishumhum

I always dig the way JMs look but can't say I love them for what they are, given all the idiosyncrasies. On the other hand, Strats have my favorite sounds and the versatility I need across all Fender guitars. The thing is I don't really like the way Strats look (to me anyway, I know many people do).

So, my question is, has anyone ever done something like this? A Jazzmaster-Strat hybrid?

Astronaut FX

Gold Supporting Member
In my mind, that's not a hybrid. It's a Strat. The shape of a body does not determine the sound like a guitar. In that configuration, it's going to sound like a Strat.

And that's absolutely cool if that's what you want. I think it's cool. The first part of my comments have more to do with the fact that we associate a guitar by its shape over everything else. For example, take a Tele shaped body, install two EMGs and a Floyd Rose - in my mind, the result isn't a Tele.

Go for it!

Not sure I dig that pickguard with that body. Also, that's a lot of space between the trem and the PG. other than that I dig it

Whereishumhum

In my mind, that's not a hybrid. It's a Strat. The shape of a body does not determine the sound like a guitar. In that configuration, it's going to sound like a Strat.

And that's absolutely cool if that's what you want. I think it's cool. The first part of my comments have more to do with the fact that we associate a guitar by its shape over everything else. For example, take a Tele shaped body, install two EMGs and a Floyd Rose - in my mind, the result isn't a Tele.

Go for it!
I hear ya man. So a hybrid is basically a mixture of iconic things that come from two or more guitars, say, two JM pickups and electronics with a 6-screw Strat bridge, or a JM bridge with Tele pickups and electronics?

For me I intend it to sound like a Strat - that's what I love about Strats, the tone & versatility, just with an offset body shape.

Thx for the reply!

Whereishumhum

Not sure I dig that pickguard with that body. Also, that's a lot of space between the trem and the PG. other than that I dig it
Well I really dig the color combinations, but I hear ya. As for the pickguard, other configurations Warmoth has to offer cover the stud inserts for a 2-pivot bridge so I had to go with this one. Maybe I can try a 6-screw on there though.

Astronaut FX

Gold Supporting Member
Everyone has their own definition. I'm not saying you or anyone else is wrong. Just my own view is that I find it curious that more often than not, we identify guitars by their body shape, when that's usually the factor that has the least impact in its sound.

mikef09

Silver Supporting Member
It's funny, I just got mine back. I got this idea after I took a few lessons from Aaron Marshall of Intervals and he had a bunch of sweet Suhr HSS Classics. I never got along with the Strat shape and offsets are my favorite, so I went to my luthier. Found a James Tyler Variax neck for cheap on Reverb, DiMarzio Area 61's and an AT-1 (Andy Timmons), and a Hipshot Trem. It's an Alder body finished in an aged nitro Sherwood Green. I honestly couldn't be happier with it, it's definitely a tone machine. And dat neck joint doh!

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
So, my question is, has anyone ever done something like this? A Jazzmaster-Strat hybrid?
For a long time.

Caught an Austin City Limits broadcast [early '90s?] where a guy was playing one.
Looked like it might've been a heavier Wilkinson Strat trem on his build.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
reeves gabrels had one in the late 90s....after he stopped using his parker nitelfy w/ bowie.....it was a fernandes body w/ a tele neck and the guts similar to his parker w/a sustainer....it was a cool guitar...

Whereishumhum

This is exactly what my Arcturus model was designed to be originally (our "strat")

(my personal one. Everyone knows it's a proven fact Surf Green is the best sounding color)
Wow that surf green is so hot! And I never thought a P-90 on the bridge position would look so good! It's gonna beef up the bridge position and not sound like a humbucker, I love it!

Last edited:

Trending Topics