Jazzmaster-style pup in a standard HB size.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KevinFinn, Feb 23, 2015.

1. KevinFinn

KevinFinn Member

Is anyone doing a production run of these? Not just someone who can potentially do them custom.

I'm really surprised this isn't a thing in higher demand. Big single coil. Rods. Voiced JM... Just HB-sized.

This should be a thing.

2. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

^^Those Rose Pickups look awesome.

Don't think they'd be a big hit... Most of the JM sound comes from the guitar itself.

3. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

I asked this same question on offsetguitars.com, this was the only real result I found in there:

http://www.rosepickups.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3862823

they come in P90 and Jazzmaster designs, reasonably priced too.

guitarfetish.com, might have something similar, I know they have a couple different P90 in a HB layout, as well as Tron style pickups and a few other odd ball pickup designs, the one that might get you close to a Jazzmaster sound would be the surf 90, its really designed more after a DeArmond pickup, but I always felt it got close to the JM sound. At $35 is hard to pass up too. GFS just came out with a couple different foil style pickups in a P90 and HB design as well, good cheap pickups to try out some different than a humbucker tone, while retaining the HB layout.

4. KevinFinn

KevinFinn Member

Awesome! The Rose Pups look and sound great. They have that clarity and evenness that they should. Thanks, guys!

5. manymanyhaha

manymanyhaha Member

This was a response from Jason Lollar when I asked him the same question a few years ago:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    RE: jazzmaster pickup in a humbucker shell?

Can’t make a Jazzmaster... Jazzmaster coils extend 3-4" beyond the end of the two outside poles... otherwise it doesn’t sound anything like a Jazzmaster.

I do make a single coil that fits in a humbucker rout:

http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/me...de=265&Category_Code=misc-single-coil-pickups

Jason Lollar

In other words, any "jazzmaster" in a humbucker size is going to be an approximation of the jazzmaster sound but not an approximation of the construction. I have the Wilde's. Not quite the same tone as the pickups in my Mascis but I like them nonetheless.

6. minty901

minty901 Member

I know it's off-topic, but could somebody point me in the direction of a good article or something to explain the main types of pickups and how they differ? It's a little confusing. I always thought there were three:

Single Coil
    Humbucker
    P90

...but then I learnt that P90s are actually still single coil, just done differently and sound different? Then I learnt that Jazzmaster has a unique style of pickup altogether -- are they another type of single coil and what do they sound closest to? P90?

I know single coils are bright and thin, humbuckers are dark and full, and P90s are darker than normal single coils but with more bite than humbuckers? Am I on the right lines?